* Poster with layers
@ 2004-09-27  8:35 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-09-27  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have to prepare a scientific poster, and of cause using anything
except TeX is below a real scientist's dignity.
The main problem is that I have to arrange content rather freely on the
page, without the regularity imposed by using tables or columns. Using
layers for this purpose is probably best. I have started with something
like:

\definelayer[ModelingLayer]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=ModelingLayer]
\setlayer[ModelingLayer][position=no,x=1cm,y=1cm]{%
	\framed{Whatever}}

This seems to work well enough for my purposes. Or does anybody have a
better idea? Then please let me know.
My main at the moment is positioning. I would like to position one layer
relative to another. Say for example, 'top left edge of layer x 2cm
below and 3cm right of bottom center of layer y'. So, how can I access
the necessary values, i.e. x, y, width, depth, height of a layer? Or is
there an easier way to do this?

Greetings,
Eckhart