* framewidth parameter
@ 2004-09-27 10:34 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-09-27 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shame on me, but what is the parameter to set the framewidth of a
\framed?

--
Eckhart

* Re: framewidth parameter
@ 2004-09-27 14:07 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-09-27 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 12:34:52PM +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> Shame on me, but what is the parameter to set the framewidth of a
> \framed?

Ok, I got it, it's \framed[rulethickness=..]{..}

Btw, one thing that sometimes constrains work with context is a lack of
error/warning messages. It would be very helpful if commands complained
about unknown parameters, i.e. \framed[framewidth=2mm]{xyz}. Of course I
can't judge the difficulties in implementing such a feature, but from a
user's point of view, it would be great.

--
Eckhart

* Re: framewidth parameter
@ 2004-09-27 15:06   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-09-27 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:07:13 +0200, Eckhart wrote:

> Btw, one thing that sometimes constrains work with context is a lack of
> error/warning messages. It would be very helpful if commands complained
> about unknown parameters, i.e. \framed[framewidth=2mm]{xyz}. Of course I
> can't judge the difficulties in implementing such a feature, but from a
> user's point of view, it would be great.

It would not be hard, but context would definately slow down and it would be
(much?) more taxing on TeX's memory.  I agree it would be very handy sometimes,
but it introduces overhead that we do not want at other times.

In your example, The \getparameters that is called behind the scenes blindly
converts the 'framewidth' parameter to

	\def\@@olframewidth{2mm}

At that moment, there is no knowledge that this parameter will, in fact, never be
used  'downstream'.  Adding that knowledge has a definate associated penalty,
(at minimum one 'if' test and some strings per debugged command).

--
groeten,

Taco