* Re: using fonts
@ 2004-12-06 13:41 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-12-06 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

> I think I´mgetting confused with all of the font selection within context.

You are not the first one...

> First: I have a miktex environment on on W2K.

That should be OK for all needs.

see http://contextgarden.net/Psnfss

> \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
> \switchtotypeface[palatino][12pt,rm]

I have never used \switchtotypeface.

> 2.
> I thought that the default encoding should be texnansi

This depends on your setup. See cont-sys.tex as a place where
defaultencoding is sometimes set.

> 3.
> should be there some font-switching macros on the system called
> font-xxx.tex (example font-lbr.tex)? These are missing on my system.
> I think these are needed forthings like:
> \setupbodyfont[lbr, sans, 12pt]

Well the font-xxx.tex files have nothing (not completely true) to do
with the font switching commands.

> 4.
> within miktex there are "lucida" font files from yandy (lbr.tfm
> ). Is that a free version of lucida-font?

No. There is no really free version of lucida. They once came with
staroffice and there was a script that was able to pull them out and
make them accessable for TeX. But I think that the quality is lower
than the original ones (once read a statement from Walter Schmit about
them, don't remember when and where) and math is not included.

> (is that for math? [there is anotherfile called math-lbt.tex in
> \context\base])

No math fonts like lucida for free.

> do I need to get the missing fonts/files and why are they not
> provided with miktex. Perhaps a change of the distribution is to
> prefer? (which one)

No, go ahead with MikTeX. Try out the stuff that is on the wiki and
please report on your success/failure.

> Is there a manual which explains how to change fonts (in a way that a
> normal user who is new to context can understand it)?

yes and no. See the wiki for links.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net