From: John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
	Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Sidebars and versals Oh my!
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:10:06 -0500	[thread overview]

On Monday 27 December 2004 06:33, Adam Lindsay wrote:
> h h extern said this at Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:33:44 +0100:
> >> Context already has mechanisms for flowing or wrapping text around a
> >
> >graphic.
> >
> >> How well the wraparound feature works when more than one short
>
> paragraph is
>
> >> involved I have not tested yet.
> >
> >the mp based background mechanism can handle that: see plus-rul.tex
> >

> >(there is also another mechanism available which permits rather nasty
> >variants
> >but i still had no time to document it, so it's currently a hidden
> > feature)
>
> plus-rul is interesting, but I'm 98% certain that when John talks about
> sidebars, he means what you call intermezzos. My interpretation, using
> the things I do know (or figured out this morning):

Adam is right. Think of an "intermezzo" with a gray background but either in
the margin,or placed in the outer part of the text block like an
illustration, or protruding from the text block. The term "sidebar" is
American magazine usage.  Generally a sidebar in this sense contains a
summary of the contents of the page or repeats an important point.

 Bill McClain in his tutorial covers an in margin sidebar but without the gray
background which can be tricky.  The Context Manual gives examples of
graphics in the text block with text flowing around them.  The Details Manual
shows graphics protruding into the margin, but I would envision protruding no
more than 50% of the width of the inserted item.

I will play with the code below to see what luck I have.

--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: