From: "Adam Lindsay" <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt and DocBook - beginner's questions
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:48:36 +0000	[thread overview]

phthenry@iglou.com said this at Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:17:29 -0500:

>As the author of the second page concedes, you need somewhat complicated
>syntax to directly map XML to ConTeXt. Many of the examples mix XML and
>non XML.

You guys are aware of foXet, right? That's ConTeXt's XSL-FO processor module.

As part of writing that module, Hans really streamlined the XML mapping
to TeX commands. As a result, I'm becoming more and more of a fan of a
streamlined XML markup that works in parallel with the ConTeXt idiom.

Hans began that with ContML, a simplified XML structure for basic
documents, mirroring familiar ConTeXt commands (take a look at the x-
contml.tex source). He enabled a lot more with the tricks features in
This Way #9 (the magazine link).

I extended ContML a little more using those foXet tricks with my t-oo-03
module. It was primarily intended to process XSLT-mediated output from a
GUI Outline editor, but the underlying format seems like a good jumping-
off point for other formats as well.

<http://oo2contml.sourceforge.net/>
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/oo2contml/oo2contml-source.zip>

(I didn't put too much effort into making my code readable, but I hope it
gives an idea of how easily XML parameters can be changed into ConTeXt
parameters. I can provide sample documents to interested people to show
the general XML format.)
I plan on documenting the ConTeXt/XML side (rather than the user side) of
it a bit more, but I'm a bit over-committed, at the moment!

>There is a solution that I personally think is simpler, TeXML. In this
>method, you convert TEI (or other forms of XML) to TeXML, a specialized
>form of XML. You then run the TeXML processor, which converts this to a
>plain old ConTeXt document. The advantage of this method is that you are
>converting from an XML tree to an XML tree, which is always easier than
>converting from XML to text.

That's nice. I wasn't aware of that project before. The format looks
superficially similar to Hans's foXet extensions.

>I am working on a document that explains how to convert XML to ConTeXt.
>The document will explain how to one would do something in FO and then
>how you would do the same in ConTeXt. It will be a rough document
>because I am just learning myself, but it will be a start.

Oh, nice... I look forward to seeing that. Sounds like a good My Way
candidate at some point.

adam

 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492