* indenting list items.
@ 2005-03-08 19:14 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-03-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a multilevel set of itemized lists but I want to reduce
the indentation because it takes up too much room. In other words
instead of
1. foo
    a. fubar
        * bar
 I want spacing like
 1. foo
  a. fubar
   * bar

So I put this at the head of my document:

\setupitemize[packed,serried,atmargin][indentnext=no,align=left]

Since I don't know which parameter affects which dimension, I
used them all. None of them seem to do what I am looking for. The
space between items disappeared but that was the only change.

Second question: The definition of \setupitemize seems to use
three sets of square brackets but \startitemize seems to only use
two. So, at the \startitemize level, which paramaters go in which
set of braces?

I have scanned looking for earlier posts but none seem to address
these two problems.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: indenting list items.
@ 2005-03-09  7:42 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-09  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello John,

[lots of itemize questions]

did you take a look <http://texshow.contextgarden.net>?

Just use 'item' as a filter and look at the command descriptions
there.

(And yes, it could use some updating)

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: indenting list items.
@ 2005-03-09 12:21 ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-09 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Second question: The definition of \setupitemize seems to use
> three sets of square brackets but \startitemize seems to only use
> two. So, at the \startitemize level, which paramaters go in which
> set of braces?

If I might chime in: it would be nice to see some sort of extended
explanation with examples for the format used in ConTeXt's documentation.
Because I often look at it and it does not immediately hit me what is
meant. Now I am stupid, I know, but still, some sort of explanation should
be nice (the manual I read more or less used the syntax without thoroughly
explaining them with examples, or at least that is what I got when reading
it. Might have been me.).

* Re: indenting list items.
@ 2005-03-09 15:22   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-03-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

First: I agree that when you begin using Context, the documentation
isn't as helpful as one could hope (John, of course, is not a
beginner). But seeing that Hans is so busy developing Context, it's
easy to see why there isn't more time to write documentation about it.
And I think Patrick's wiki is making great progress and beginning to be
filled with lots of interesting things.

In this case, however, I find the handbook quite clear. \setupitemize
takes three brackets, the first one is defined as "number each." This
defines the level of the itemization you want to set up, 1 being the
outer or topmost level etc. Every \startitemize is located at a precise
level (i.e. nested within other itemizations or not), so there's no use
for this first pair of brackets.

HTH

Thomas

On Mar 9, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> Second question: The definition of \setupitemize seems to use
>> three sets of square brackets but \startitemize seems to only use
>> two. So, at the \startitemize level, which paramaters go in which
>> set of braces?
>
> If I might chime in: it would be nice to see some sort of extended
> explanation with examples for the format used in ConTeXt's
> documentation.
> Because I often look at it and it does not immediately hit me what is
> meant. Now I am stupid, I know, but still, some sort of explanation
> should
> be nice (the manual I read more or less used the syntax without
> thoroughly
> explaining them with examples, or at least that is what I got when
> reading
> it. Might have been me.).

* Re: Re: indenting list items.
@ 2005-03-09 15:28   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-03-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Patrick Gundlach

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 07:42, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> [lots of itemize questions]
>
> did you take a look <http://texshow.contextgarden.net>?
>
> Just use 'item' as a filter and look at the command descriptions
> there.
>
> (And yes, it could use some updating)
>
> Patrick

Thanks for both replies.

I solved my immediate problem by trying various combinations
until I found one that worked. Here it is:

\setupitemize[packed,serried]

As for the link you referred me to it didn't work for me. Typo
perhaps?

--

@ 2005-03-09 20:05     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-09 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello John,

[...]

> As for the link you referred me to it didn't work for me. Typo
> perhaps?

Well, no. I just tried it, and it worked fine. There was a server
error today, so maybe you experienced that?

Patrick
--

@ 2005-03-09 20:07   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Gerben,

> If I might chime in: it would be nice to see some sort of extended
> explanation with examples for the format used in ConTeXt's
> documentation.

You are completely right. Thats why I started with it on
<http://texshow.contextgarden.net/help-en.html>. Maybe this already
helps?

Patrick
--