From: Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: Re: page on context and XML has moved
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 05:41:26 -0400	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 10:13:22AM +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> But I have to say that I feel a bit sorry about your decision of
> moving your pages to somewhere else. At the time before the wiki
> existed there were (besides the documentation at PRAGMA ADE) several
> web pages with some content (with very valuable information). But the
> ConTeXt users didn't know about these pages (except for those reading
> the mailinglist carefully). That is why I have started
> contextgarden.net: to put all relevant documentation in one place.
> Links have a tendency of dying. And the contents behind the links are
> often outdated, because things (especially in the ConTeXt world)
> change quickly. And I would not be surprised if this happens to your
> page, too. And your information is too valuable to get lost or
> unuseful. I'd suggest to keep the information at the wiki the next
> time and/or write a myway and put the source and pdf on garden.

I agree with your point. In addition, the wiki pages offer the
opportunity for others to give valuable feedback, easily, without having
to post an email message. I am really going to miss having this
feedback, since it helps me correct both small mistakes and major
misconceptions in my documents.

My decision was based on practicality, however. You can see already that
my documents are very complicated, with many graphics and pieces of
example code. I will be constantly changing the pages as I correct
mistakes and learn more. I write my documents in XML and generate the
HTML files from the XML. This allows me to automatically generate a TOC,
keep my links fresh, and generate a detailed index. (I hope to get
around to creating an index later.) I run a script to generate the html.
I then use rsync to update my files at sourceforge.net. You can imagine
how much more difficult it would be to do this with the wiki. Updating
changes might take me 5 minutes through sourceforge. It would take me
maybe a half an hour if I used the wiki, and even longer as my pages
continue to grow.

However, that doesn't stop me from creating a myway. (I assume a myway
is a ConText document coupled with a PDF file.) I'll try to do this as
soon as I have time.

Thanks for your feedback

Paul

--