From: Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: page on context and XML has moved
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:50:53 +0200	[thread overview]

> Hi Piotr,
>
> First, if you use TeXML, make sure you download the latest version,
> 1.25-devel. This version is very stable and robust, and has the
> texml_con script, which converts directly from XML to PDF or whatever
> format you require:
>
> texml_con <any option you can use with texexec> infile
>
> It will create a ConTeX file along the way, as its first step. So if
> your file is modern_photo.xml, a file called modern_photo.tex will be
> created. You could open the modern_photo.tex file and make small changes
> on that file. However, if you need to do this, you should instead type:
>
> texml.py -e -c modern_photo.xml modern_photo.tex
>
> That will create a ConTeXt file, which you can then alter.
>
> Of course, having to alter the ConTeXt file defeats the purpose of XML.
> You should be able to convert directly from XML to PDF. What alterations
> do you think you will have to make?
>
> I know XSLT stylesheets can get very complicated. This is often the
> case, including when I convert XML to HTML. You could try converting in
> steps, making a small manageble change on one document, and then making
> a small manageable change and so on.
>
> Let me know your results. Good luck!
>
> Paul
>
> --

For instance in  the last catalogue I was typesetting  I had to change
hyphenation of some words in the final stage of work. By the way, this
is a more  general problem. Is it possible  to change hyphenation only
locally in ConTeXt?   That means to exclude possibility  of breaking a
word in  some place on one  page and allow  it on other pages?   I was
lucky as I had problems with words that appeared only once in the text
so  I   did  not  have  to   bother,  but  that   was  an  exceptional
situation. The  other thing that comes  to my mind are  all the things
that \adaptlayout was  invented for.  I don't believe  you can produce
large documents  without such last touches,  but on the  other hand it
does not make  much sense to me to edit by  hand the resulting ConTeXt
file. Maybe such changes could live in another xml file which could be
included at the end of work.

Piotr

--
   Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
   Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw