* struggle for booktabs
@ 2005-04-08 14:26 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-04-08 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

since I often need row and column spanning, I have tried to use natural
tables to produce good looking tables (booktabs-like, as discussed in
the recent thread). I think it will be possible to achieve what I want,
but I have some open points.
For those interested, I have attached a file showing what I have devised
to get the job done. The code is not very elegant, and the parameters
controlling spacing and rule thickness are just for testing. But the
main idea becomes clear: I use dummy rows with a height determined by
rule thickness and vertical separation. The rules are drawn by metapost.
Any comments and suggestions are very welcome.
Now, my questions/remarks:

- How to control spacing between table rows and columns? I can't simply
	set the offset, since I must be able to set vertical and horizontal
	spacing independently.
- To have each cell entry centered horizontally and vertically, I have
	to say \setupTABLE[row][each][align={middle,lohi}]. I think it should
	also be possible to do this via \setupTABLE[align={middle,lohi}] which
	currently has no effect.
- I think I will come to the point where I want to define macros of my
	own wich can take a key=value list of arguments with the ability to
	set defaults using a setup command. Can someone give me a pointer
	where to look in order to learn how this is done?

Thanks for your help and comments,
Eckhart