* chancery font
@ 2005-04-16 14:13 Enrique Laya
From: Enrique Laya @ 2005-04-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hola Ciro. No se si te llega este mensaje.

Muchos saludos a ti y a Nazareth.

Enrique Laya

ExcelTec, C.A.

Torre Domus. Piso 9- Of. 9C.

Sabana Grande. Caracas 1050

Tel 794 09 33

Fax 793 87 02

email elaya@excel-tec.com

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 21:06   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-04-03 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid

Ciro Soto wrote:
> BTW, how do you use a ttf font directly in context?

just change the entry in the map file to fontname.ttf

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 20:39 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From ciro@kavyata.com =====
>Idris,
>thank you very much for your explanations... they are very helpful.

I'm happy 2 b of help, although I'm basically just packaging things that Hans,
Adam, and others have said over the last month

>BTW, how do you use a ttf font directly in context?

There was a thread on TimesNewRoman that I started a few weeks ago that has
the details. Check out the archives on pragma. Basically, its exactly the same
as the Garamond procedure except that you do not use any afm files; just the
ttf files. Also, Hans has provided a way to just access the windows font
directory; me, I used a temp dir like before. Look at that thread...

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 20:25 ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-03 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,
thank you very much for your explanations... they are very helpful.
regarding ttf translation, I have in my system (I guess it came with
texlive2004)
a little software "ttf2pt1" that does the job.
unix> ttf2pt1 -b fontname.ttf
and it produces the two files: fontname.afm, fontname.pfb
which then I used with your "cooking" instructions for garamond...

BTW, how do you use a ttf font directly in context?

thank you
Ciro

--
=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 20:22 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-04-03 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 3, 2005, at 9:40 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Ok, I certainly did _not_ intend to start a flame war, was just
> dreaming out
> loud:-))
Idris,

no flame war intended! I know that we have very similar interests (btw:
how's "critical editions in ConTeXt" doing?), that's why I stated what
I feel about it. (For the manual: have you looked in your inbox
lately?)

During the last weeks, I have written a perl script to create an
automatic encoding vector for ttf (Unicode) fonts with Greek letters. I
have spent way too much time on it. It works reasonably well, but I
always have to look at things and correct stuff manually. Font
designers are too [insert favorite swearword here] to give decent names
to their glyphs, and since we need those names for the encoding, it's
hard to make things happen automatically. Fonts claim to follow the
Unicode standard, but then have glyphs in the wrong place. Some
designers even modify the standard Adobe names, so you can't even use
the normal ec or texnansi-encoding.

> I have even more difficult issues with Arabic;-)
Yeah, I can believe that.

> Hmm, seems we've heard the same comment about Linux in the pre-KDE
> days:-)

Tell you what: I think right now the same is true for linux. As long as
you're satisfied with the standards some distribution gives you, you
might get past the CLI. But try to integrate a piece of unusual
hardware, or modify settings, and presto, you need  the terminal and a
basic understanding of Unix.

> Seriously, there is room in the TeX world for a creative gui approach,
> and
> ConTeXt would be a much better candidate than LaTeX for that to work.
> Yes,
> this is just a dream for now...

Well, let's dream and not take this further. Bedtime over here in
Europe...

All best

Thomas

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 19:54 ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-03 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:40:53PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Ok, I certainly did _not_ intend to start a flame war, was just dreaming out
> loud:-))

I know! I hope my tone didn't come across as harsh or accusatory.

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 19:41       ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-04-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:
> Idris solution didn't work. I got:
> TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004
> processing aborted : unknown tex root
>
> which seems to be an installation problem...
> BUT
> Willi's solutions worked when I use encoding=ec (not texnansi)...
> thank you

indeed since there is no predefined typeface for chancery (makes no sense since
it's a special purpose font)

if you want texnansi you need to make the metrics with texfont; tex live only
ships with ec versions

Hans

> Ciro
>

> On Apr 2, 2005 12:52 PM, Willi Egger <w.egger@boede.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hi Ciro,
>>
>>AFAIK chancery has no typeface associated. So you need to do that yourself
>>
>>\usetypescript[chancery][texnansi]
>>\definetypeface
>>[myfont][cg][calligraphy][chancery][default][encoding=texnansi]
>>\setupbodyfont[myfont,cg,12pt]
>>
>>KR
>>Willi
>>Ciro Soto wrote:
>>
>>>When I try the commands \usetypescript, \setupbodyfont, etc,etc
>>>I can't find the right combination of switches to make use of the Zapf
>>>Chancery or Garamond fonts.
>>>All other fonts work find (bookman, modern, palatino, etc).
>>>
>>>I am using Linux/fedoraCore3, texlive2004, and:
>>>TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>>>               texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>>>               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>>>                   tex : pdfeTeXk, 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>>>               context : ver: 2005.01.31
>>>               cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.2.28  mes: english
>>>
>>>Please don't ask me to read the manuals, I've read them, but still ...
>>>thank you...
>>>Ciro

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 19:40 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Thomas A.Schmitz

Hi guys,

Ok, I certainly did _not_ intend to start a flame war, was just dreaming out
loud:-))

>===== Original Message From Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> =====

<snip>

>I think you can achieve the same thing with a well-written shell script,
>which can be interactive and can test all sorts of variables. Wouldn't a
>shell script do the job you want? I mean, imagine the best, most fancy
>gui you can, one that does everything you want with fonts. Now just
>imagine the same program in an ugly shell that would do the same thing,
>with the same interaction, and wouldn't that do the trick?

Something one could run from e.g. a WinEDT or SciTe gui shell would be fine
(for now->)

=====

>First: fonts are a complex business, and when you
>venture outside of the normal Western character range, things start to
>get really messy (I speak from experience

I have even more difficult issues with Arabic;-)

>To be honest: in my
>personal opinion (and this is a very personal opinion), die-hard GUI
>users who just loathe the command line should not be using TeX.

Hmm, seems we've heard the same comment about Linux in the pre-KDE days:-)
Seriously, there is room in the TeX world for a creative gui approach, and
ConTeXt would be a much better candidate than LaTeX for that to work. Yes,
this is just a dream for now...

In the future, maybe many years from now, someone may design a
well-thought-out gui interface for the ConTeXt of the future. I for one would
buy it...

>In a way,
>the current state puts a gentle, but firm sign on font handling saying
>"This might be a bit difficult. Be warned!"

Firm, perhaps, but I don't know about "gentle":-))

But Paul's idea of an interactive shell script is practical and I'll shut up
for awhile...

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-03 18:46 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

users <ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Thanks Thomas for the manual. I have already printed it, and cannot wait
>to give it a try.

Which manual??

>In the mean time I welcome any other concrete tips for installing a new
>font, step by step that is.

Someone on this list did this a couple of years ago or more; does anyone
remember the link to that?

If you recall the earlier postings: my idea
>would be to start with a new font consisting of only one pfb file.

Try the Garamond experiment, then analyze type-ugm in light of the fonts
manual.

<snip>

>In the end my ideal would be a context which typesets Arabic, Russian
>and Turkish, plus transcription according to a code I developed myself.

For transcription, you can use aleph. By the end of this year or sooner there
should be a new advanced Arabic-script package. Hopefully, one day aleph will
be integrated into pdfetex (long term) or at least the aleph-dvipdfmx combo
will have all of ConTeXt's capabilities (short term).

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-03 18:45 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-03 17:10 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2005-04-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 3, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> As Ciro suggested, what what would be useful is a gui that completely
> automates the process and that asks all relevant questions and
> generates
> everything ConTeXt needs to install and run Latin fonts, including
> expert
> fonts like Minion.**** (Maybe oneday the gui can be extended for
> Chinese,
> Arabic, etc.)

Idris,

I disagree strongly. First: fonts are a complex business, and when you
venture outside of the normal Western character range, things start to
get really messy (I speak from experience, having just completed work
on Greek Extended). I'm not saying a GUI will never be able to cope
with all  this complicated stuff. But I do think that an extraordinary
amount of work would be needed to catch all the exceptions, ifs and
buts that would be involved. And I do think that this work could better
be spent on other, much more important business. To be honest: in my
personal opinion (and this is a very personal opinion), die-hard GUI
users who just loathe the command line should not be using TeX.

I also think that despite all the efforts that ConTeXt makes, it would
be rash to make inexperienced users believe that handling fonts in TeX
is a simple matter of pointing and clicking. The frustration would be
huge when things do not work out as expected - and they will. In a way,
the current state puts a gentle, but firm sign on font handling saying
"This might be a bit difficult. Be warned!" And I don't think this is a
bad thing.

No offense, but that's what I think about this issue.

Best

Thomas

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 16:57 ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 10:15:19AM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Not only that, Adam, but the configuration issues involve so much minutae that
> it is very easy to make simple mistakes that cause, e.g, typescripts to fail.
> As Ciro suggested, what what would be useful is a gui that completely
> automates the process and that asks all relevant questions and generates
> everything ConTeXt needs to install and run Latin fonts, including expert
> fonts like Minion.**** (Maybe oneday the gui can be extended for Chinese,
> Arabic, etc.)

I myself know that when it comes time for me to work with fonts, I will
have trouble. However, I am not for a gui. A gui is hard to write and
maintain, and given all the different platforms out there, including
older linux distributions with old libraries, it most likey wouldn't run
on all of them.

@ 2005-04-03 16:42 ` Rob Ermers
From: Rob Ermers @ 2005-04-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Thomas for the manual. I have already printed it, and cannot wait
to give it a try.

In the mean time I welcome any other concrete tips for installing a new
font, step by step that is. If you recall the earlier postings: my idea
would be to start with a new font consisting of only one pfb file.
I would like to understand each Context instruction in the files, in
order to be better able to reproduce it. In my previous attempts, I
often copied instructions without really understanding why they were
needed. In my last attempt the pk file was not generated, perhaps not
due to Context...? (Although the font did work under Latex.)

In the end my ideal would be a context which typesets Arabic, Russian
and Turkish, plus transcription according to a code I developed myself.

Kind regards,

Robert

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>
>>Rob Ermers said this at Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:03:24 +0200:
>>

>>>I completely agree. Context works fine but, like you, I have not
>>>succeeded in installing any new font thusfar.
>>
>>Okay, I get the message: there are quite a few frustrated would-be font
>>users out there. I see it as being something that someone can understand
>>(and explain) fairly well in the abstract, but the details throw up
>>distribution-specific problems.
>

> Not only that, Adam, but the configuration issues involve so much minutae that
> it is very easy to make simple mistakes that cause, e.g, typescripts to fail.
> As Ciro suggested, what what would be useful is a gui that completely
> automates the process and that asks all relevant questions and generates
> everything ConTeXt needs to install and run Latin fonts, including expert
> fonts like Minion.**** (Maybe oneday the gui can be extended for Chinese,
> Arabic, etc.)
>
> On the other hand, I did manage to get a virtual font created by fontinst (old
> style numeral cmr) to work in ConTeXt without using any of the
> ConTeXt-specific utilities. I wrote the typescript entirely from scratch, with
> optical scaling and all; if that complicated set of typefaces could work, any
> Latin font should work. But debugging this sort of thing may take time, which
> can be frustrating.
>
> ****Qt4.0 will be gpl, I'd love to see e.g., an elegant crossplatform Qt/Ruby
> application that does this:-)
>
> Best
> Idris

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 16:22                   ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

My problem goes beyond fonts. What I think I need is a simple explanation
of the TeX-like package system.  For instance:

I see tetex,pdftex,contex, latex,web2c,...and so on, but I don't understand
their interrelation/dependency.

Why the livetex tree is like it is?  What is needed for a context user?

What are the steps to upgrade context with a cont-tmf.zip and a texlive2004?
Would it be possible to create an shell script that automize all this?

Where are fonts registered/stored/mapped/encoded?

Most books on TeX,latex, etc, only explain how to use them, but not
the 'system administration' part, which must of us have to learn as well.

BTW, I used Idris instructions (without step4 because my texfont works)
and I have installed three different fonts so far. Actually, I
converted TTF fonts
to pfb/afm, then used the Idris steps, and I am happy. Now I hace to learn how
to build typescript files, and learn where to put them, and the mapping/encoding
business.

regards

Ciro

--
=======================================
"All problems are at the interface. Each one of them has a solution."
from:
"The Guitar Maker, An Exploration of Wisdom, Design and Love."
A novel by C. A. Soto Aguirre. Pub. Date: Aug. 2005.

* RE: chancery font
@ 2005-04-03 16:15 Idris Samawi Hamid
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-03 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-03 14:57                 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-03 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-03 14:03               ` Rob Ermers
From: Rob Ermers @ 2005-04-03 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ciro,

I completely agree. Context works fine but, like you, I have not
succeeded in installing any new font thusfar.
A few months ago I tried again with a very simple font, which I got
working under Latex, but not under Context, despite all my attempts and
suggestions from other subscribers: alas!

Two years ago I recoded a cyrillic font under Latex, that contains
special characters not available in other fonts, therefore I guess I
know how the TeX font mechanism works. I achieved that by carefully
reading all kinds of manuals available on the net.

For the time being I manage with Context with the standard fonts &
Palatino, waiting for a breakthrough of some kind: the golden tip!

Kind regards,

Robert

Ciro Soto wrote:
>>(untested, but hopefully you get the idea...)
>>
>>adam
>

> unfortunately, I have a mental mess with the font business in tex.
> How can one keep track with so many directories, encodings, file types,
> maps, etc... I am tired of trying to undestand. Manuals are useless
> because they are outdated, trees are changed and need texhash, plus,
> on top, one needs to learn the syntax for Context to use fonts.
> I've been spending days trying to install a verdana font, and no
> matter what I do,
> it doesnt' work, and I think the same is happening with the garamond.
> I have no lesss than 3000 font files in my computer, but so far, only a handful
> are available in context. At this point,
> I really wish I had a graphical tool to install and use a font,
> without going through
> all the --always changing-- steps...
> I guess, some day, someone will clear this up for once...
>
> ciro
> Ciro

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-02 23:33             ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-02 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-02 22:33 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-02 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====

>And Idris, it's here:
><http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/urw/garamond/>

Ah! From the ctan dates, it appears this font was added a while after my
TeXLive version (from last summer; time to update:-<<). Thnx a lot for
pointing out this location.

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-02 21:22           ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-04-02 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto said this at Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:00:32 -0500:

>Concerning Garamond, I see bunch of files in my system:
>ls ./texmf-local/fonts/afm/urw/garamond/
> ugmri8a.afm
> ugmr8a.afm
> ugmmi8a.afm
> ugmm8a.afm

The key question is whether you have the fonts/type1/urw/garamond
directory with .pfb files in it, as these are the URW garamond fonts, you
probably do have them. However, you probably need to load the map file
[ugm.map], and use the right typescript. As the only one in ConTeXt is
for the FontSite500 garamond, that needs to be added. There's a quickie
at the end of the message.

And Idris, it's here:
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/urw/garamond/>

\starttypescript[serif][garamond][ec]
 \definefontsynonym[Garamond]          [ugmr8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym[GaramondItalic]    [ugmri8t][encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym[GaramondBold]      [ugmm8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym[GaramondBoldItalic][ugmmi8t][encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][garamond][name]
 \setups[font:fallback:serif]
 \definefontsynonym[Serif]          [Garamond]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [GaramondItalic]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [GaramondBold]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][GaramondBoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

Activate with:
\definetypeface[myface][rm][serif][garamond][default][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[myface]

@ 2005-04-02 21:21 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again...

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Idris,
>thank you for your interest. I don't have setuptex in my linux
>system... maybe this is
>a windows utility.

there is setuptex.sh for Linux, I believe.

>Concerning Garamond,

<snip>

> I'll keep trying
>and let you
>know if find how to activate them...

Thnx, please do;-)

I scanned my TeXLive installation (from last July; I installed all font
packages I think) and could not find any reference to Garamond at all. I even
checked the TeXLive setup files.

Anyway, Even if you have the afm files, I suspect you have to buy Garamond:

http://semantics-online.org/geek/2003/09/how_to_install_adobe_garamond_for_latex

Adam Lndsay has some comments there; maybe he knows something about this?

But if you find another way let me know!

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-04-02 20:00         ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-02 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,
thank you for your interest. I don't have setuptex in my linux
system... maybe this is
a windows utility.

Concerning Garamond, I see bunch of files in my system:
ls ./texmf-local/fonts/afm/urw/garamond/
 ugmri8a.afm
 ugmr8a.afm
 ugmmi8a.afm
 ugmm8a.afm

and there are references to garamond fonts in the type-* files, but I don't know
how to activate it. I think I have a configuration problem in my texlive2004
plus the difficulty of handling fonts (as always)... I'll keep trying
and let you
know if find how to activate them...

Also, I followed instructions to install verdana (magazine009) but
couldn't make it work either...
so, the problem is likely to be in my installation...

Ciro

--
=======================================

@ 2005-04-02 19:21       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-02 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-02 18:29     ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-04-02 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

=======================================

@ 2005-04-02 17:52   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-04-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:
> When I try the commands \usetypescript, \setupbodyfont, etc,etc
> I can't find the right combination of switches to make use of the Zapf
> Chancery or Garamond fonts.
> All other fonts work find (bookman, modern, palatino, etc).
>
> I am using Linux/fedoraCore3, texlive2004, and:
> TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
>                    tex : pdfeTeXk, 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>                context : ver: 2005.01.31
>                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.2.28  mes: english
>
> Please don't ask me to read the manuals, I've read them, but still ...
> thank you...
> Ciro

* Re: chancery font
@ 2005-04-02 17:27   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-02 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ciro,

I don't know about Garamond (does it actually come with TeX/ConTeXt?) but
there is an issue with Zapf in the latest ConTeXt; the tfm files are
corrupted. Try the following (it worked for me, thank you Hans):

remake the metrics

texmfstart texfont.pl type-tmf.dat --en=texnansi --ven=urw -col=zapfchan

refresh fndb and then try

==========================
\definetypeface [zapf] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]
\switchtotypeface [zapf] [12pt,cg]

\starttext

Zapf Chancery

\input tufte.tex

\stoptext

Maybe Garamond has a similar problem (assuming the font is actually
present on your system) and you can try the above with Garamond as well...

If Garamond is present, can you point me to its location, typescripts,
etc? I'd like to try it...

Best
Idris

--