From: Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: superior footnotes
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:31:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Here is an example from my webpage. This example requires that you
type in each footnote manually, and it then converts the it to a
letter:

===

\setupfootnotes[way=bytext, conversion=characters]

% set the number manually
% the next footnote will be *3*
\setnumber[footnote]{2}

The twelve labors of Hercules\footnote{Hercules had to perform 12
near-impossible tasks to become a god} were trifling in comparison
with those which my neighbors have undertaken;

===

However, I think you want just to change where the footnote starts.

Hans sent me this about 3 weeks ago. I think it works,  though I have
not tested it.

\setupnumber[footnote][start=45]
test \footnote{test} test

Paul

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:08:59AM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> From: Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:08:59 -0600
> Subject: [NTG-context] superior footnotes
>
> Dear posse,
>
> 1. With footnotes, is there yet a way to define the starting numeral-mark?
> Say, I want my first footnote incremented so that the first notemark is , not
> `1' then `2', but `1234' then `1235', etc.
>
> 2. I tried a workaround:
>
> =======================
> \defineconversion[set1234][1234]
> \setupfootnotes [conversion=set 1234]
> =======================
>
> but a spurious numeral `1' gets typeset alongside the notemark. What am I
> missing?
>
> Finally, the ConTeXt footnote mechanism does not (afaik) take into account
> superior numerals. We need a setup option, e.g.
>
> =======================
> \setupfootnotes [numeral=superior]%inferior, normal, with
> % normal as default
>
> to cut off the mechanism for automatically raising and reducing the size of
> the numeral (\high I presume). Yes, there is the empty (text)command=<empty>
> trick, but to use superior numerals all this should not be necessary.
>
> Thnx as always
> Idris

*Paul Tremblay         *
*phthenry@iglou.com    *