* RE: superior footnotes
@ 2005-04-16 22:27 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-16 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Here is an example from my webpage.

Url?

>\setupfootnotes[way=bytext, conversion=characters]
>
>% set the number manually
>% the next footnote will be *3*
>\setnumber[footnote]{2}
>
>The twelve labors of Hercules\footnote{Hercules had to perform 12
>near-impossible tasks to become a god} were trifling in comparison
>with those which my neighbors have undertaken;

<snip>

>\setupnumber[footnote][start=45]
>test \footnote{test} test

Thank you very much for forwarding this information.
I really appreiate it.

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: superior footnotes
@ 2005-04-16 22:35 ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 04:27:12PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Paul,

> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
> >Here is an example from my webpage.
>
> Url?

http://getfo.sourceforge.net/context_xml/page4.html#id2254928

If ever this link dies, you can navigate by going to

http://getfo.sourceforge.net/context_xml/index.html

Hope that helps!

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: superior footnotes
@ 2005-04-16 17:31 ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-16 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is an example from my webpage. This example requires that you
type in each footnote manually, and it then converts the it to a
letter:

===

\setupfootnotes[way=bytext, conversion=characters]

% set the number manually
% the next footnote will be *3*
\setnumber[footnote]{2}

The twelve labors of Hercules\footnote{Hercules had to perform 12
near-impossible tasks to become a god} were trifling in comparison
with those which my neighbors have undertaken;

===

However, I think you want just to change where the footnote starts.

Hans sent me this about 3 weeks ago. I think it works,  though I have
not tested it.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:08:59AM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> From: Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu>
> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:08:59 -0600
> Subject: [NTG-context] superior footnotes
>
> Dear posse,
>
> 1. With footnotes, is there yet a way to define the starting numeral-mark?
> Say, I want my first footnote incremented so that the first notemark is , not
> `1' then `2', but `1234' then `1235', etc.
>
> 2. I tried a workaround:
>
> =======================
> \defineconversion[set1234][1234]
> \setupfootnotes [conversion=set 1234]
> =======================
>
> but a spurious numeral `1' gets typeset alongside the notemark. What am I
> missing?
>
> Finally, the ConTeXt footnote mechanism does not (afaik) take into account
> superior numerals. We need a setup option, e.g.
>
> =======================
> \setupfootnotes [numeral=superior]%inferior, normal, with
> % normal as default
> =======================
>
> to cut off the mechanism for automatically raising and reducing the size of
> the numeral (\high I presume). Yes, there is the empty (text)command=<empty>
> trick, but to use superior numerals all this should not be necessary.
>
> Thnx as always
> Idris

*Paul Tremblay         *
*phthenry@iglou.com    *