From: "Eckhart Guthöhrlein" <eckhart.guthoehrlein@uni-bielefeld.de>
Subject: Re: TABLE: spacing, before/after
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:15:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 at 10:04:09-0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:09:11AM +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > three questions:
> > - How can I control horizontal spacing of columns in natural tables?
> > - What about vertical spacing?
> > - How can I insert material after/before each cell, something like
> > 	\setuptable[row][first][before=bla bla] ?
> >
> > Thanks,
>

> Hi Eckhart,
>
> I think you might find some of the answers here:
>
> http://getfo.sourceforge.net/context_xml/page5.html#id2258730

Nice overview, Paul. I had a quick glance, but I'm afraid the questions
above are not addressed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> setupTABLE[r][1][heigth=24pt]
> setupTABLE[c][odd][width=12pt]
> % the page gives more examples
>
> Sorry if this is not what you are looking for.

Well, not exactly. By default, a column has the width of its widest
entry. Using width=5cm, I can only define the absolute width of a
column. But what I want is to increase the separation of adjectant
columns. Whether this is achieved by adding space between columns or by
setting their width to a certain amount wider than their natural width
doesn't matter to me.
You have already experienced the absence of a desirable feature
yourself, but let me point out once again that this cannot be achieved
by setting the rulethickness of the cell frame, since it is not possible
to change left/right thickness from the top/bottom one, and frames are
invisible but still take space if you deactivate them via e.g.
topframe=off.
Thanks for your page - it's surely of help, especially for newcomers,
since tables (and the many different possibilities to produce them) are
cumbersome in context.

Greetings,
--
Eckhart