From: Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: TABLE: spacing, before/after
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:19:28 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:15:04PM +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein <eckhart.guthoehrlein@uni-bielefeld.de>
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:15:04 +0200
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] TABLE: spacing, before/after
>
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 at 10:04:09-0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:09:11AM +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > three questions:
> > > - How can I control horizontal spacing of columns in natural tables?
> > > - What about vertical spacing?
> > > - How can I insert material after/before each cell, something like
> > > 	\setuptable[row][first][before=bla bla] ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >

> > Hi Eckhart,
> >
> > I think you might find some of the answers here:
> >
> > http://getfo.sourceforge.net/context_xml/page5.html#id2258730
>
> Nice overview, Paul. I had a quick glance, but I'm afraid the questions
> above are not addressed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> > setupTABLE[r][1][heigth=24pt]
> > setupTABLE[c][odd][width=12pt]
> > % the page gives more examples
> >
> > Sorry if this is not what you are looking for.
>
> Well, not exactly. By default, a column has the width of its widest
> entry. Using width=5cm, I can only define the absolute width of a
> column. But what I want is to increase the separation of adjectant
> columns. Whether this is achieved by adding space between columns or by
> setting their width to a certain amount wider than their natural width
> doesn't matter to me.
> You have already experienced the absence of a desirable feature
> yourself, but let me point out once again that this cannot be achieved
> by setting the rulethickness of the cell frame, since it is not possible
> to change left/right thickness from the top/bottom one, and frames are
> invisible but still take space if you deactivate them via e.g.
> topframe=off.
> Thanks for your page - it's surely of help, especially for newcomers,
> since tables (and the many different possibilities to produce them) are
> cumbersome in context.
>
> Greetings,

Yes, I agree with the limitations of the TABLE module. Sorry I
couldn't provide any better answer.

When I get a chance, I'll put something on the page stating that a
limitation of TABLE is the inability to set the space between columns.

(Is it possible to set the space between columns using the more
standard table module? I realize I didn't document this at all.)

Paul

--

*Paul Tremblay         *