* combining references to several targets
@ 2005-05-08 16:04 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-05-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

say that I have four tables with lables tab:A ... tab:D. Now, I would
like to say something like \in{Tables}[tab:A,tab:B,tab:C,tab:D] and the
output should be "Tables 2, 7-9".
How can this be done?

Greetings,
--
Eckhart

* Re: combining references to several targets
@ 2005-05-08 20:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-08 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> say that I have four tables with lables tab:A ... tab:D. Now, I would
> like to say something like \in{Tables}[tab:A,tab:B,tab:C,tab:D] and the
> output should be "Tables 2, 7-9".

\in{Tables}[tab:A], \in[tab:B]--\in[tab:D]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-09  6:18   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-05-09  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 08 May 2005 at 22:47:32+0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >say that I have four tables with lables tab:A ... tab:D. Now, I would
> >like to say something like \in{Tables}[tab:A,tab:B,tab:C,tab:D] and the
> >output should be "Tables 2, 7-9".
>
> \in{Tables}[tab:A], \in[tab:B]--\in[tab:D]

Of course, this solution works, but it can easily break.
So there is no automatic sorting and combining? If I don't know that
table B--D have continuous numbers, or if this changes in the course of
writing, those references will become wrong.

--

@ 2005-05-09 20:40     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-09 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 at 22:47:32+0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>say that I have four tables with lables tab:A ... tab:D. Now, I would
>>>like to say something like \in{Tables}[tab:A,tab:B,tab:C,tab:D] and the
>>>output should be "Tables 2, 7-9".
>>
>>\in{Tables}[tab:A], \in[tab:B]--\in[tab:D]
>

> Of course, this solution works, but it can easily break.
> So there is no automatic sorting and combining? If I don't know that
> table B--D have continuous numbers, or if this changes in the course of
> writing, those references will become wrong.

implementing this is not complex, but the tricky part is in the prefixes (1.4, 2.5)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-10  8:00       ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2005-05-10  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 09 May 2005 at 22:40:03+0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>\in{Tables}[tab:A], \in[tab:B]--\in[tab:D]
> >

> >Of course, this solution works, but it can easily break.
> >So there is no automatic sorting and combining? If I don't know that
> >table B--D have continuous numbers, or if this changes in the course of
> >writing, those references will become wrong.
>
> implementing this is not complex, but the tricky part is in the prefixes
> (1.4, 2.5)

Not complex... ;-)
I admit that I didn't think of prefixes since I never used them so far.
Anyway, I think this would be a very useful feature, even if some
restrictions concerning prefixes had to be accepted. If you have the
opportunity to implement it sometime - great.

--
Eckhart