* List of figures with shorter captions
@ 2005-05-30 10:44 Tim 't Hart
From: Tim 't Hart @ 2005-05-30 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm busy with writing a paper for university and the teachers "ordered" me
to include a List of Figures. So now I'm using \completelistoffigures to get
the list of figures.

However, my captions with the figures are quite long so I was wondering if
it's possible to let ConTeXt write a different text to the List of Figures.
I thought something similar was possible with the Table of Contents and the
\chapter command, but I cannot remember how...maybe I imagined.

So is it possible to write a different text to the LoF? I use
\placefigure[here]{This is my very long caption} {\externalfigure[myfigure]}
to place my figures in the text.

I've experimented with using \writetolist[figure]{1}{short caption} to write
a text to the LoF, but there are some problems with that method. (the figure
can be placed on a different page than the \writetolist, and I'll need a way
to stop ConTeXt writing the caption text to the list as well).

Any ideas?

My best,
Tim

* Re: List of figures with shorter captions
@ 2005-05-30 11:29 ` Michael Fuchs
From: Michael Fuchs @ 2005-05-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

You can use the \nolist{} command within the caption for parts, that shouldn't go in the list of figures:

f.ex:

 \placefigure [here][fig:Res_FlussSkalierungsfaktor]
    {This is a caption. \nolist{This part of the caption will not be              listed in the list of figures.}}
    {\externalfigure[ResDat32_PhiProton2][width=100mm]}

Instead the part within \nolist will be replaced by "..." (3 dots).
If you want to change this default behaviour use the "limittext"-option as shown in the following example.

\placelistoffigures[before=\blank,criterium=all,limittext={}]

Best Regards

Michael

> Hello all,

> I'm busy with writing a paper for university and the teachers "ordered" me
> to include a List of Figures. So now I'm using \completelistoffigures to get
> the list of figures.

> However, my captions with the figures are quite long so I was wondering if
> it's possible to let ConTeXt write a different text to the List of Figures.
> I thought something similar was possible with the Table of Contents and the
> \chapter command, but I cannot remember how...maybe I imagined.

> So is it possible to write a different text to the LoF? I use
> \placefigure[here]{This is my very long caption} {\externalfigure[myfigure]}
> to place my figures in the text.

> I've experimented with using \writetolist[figure]{1}{short caption} to write
> a text to the LoF, but there are some problems with that method. (the figure
> can be placed on a different page than the \writetolist, and I'll need a way
> to stop ConTeXt writing the caption text to the list as well).

> Any ideas?

> My best,
> Tim

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Fuchs
mailto:Michael.Fuchs@hiskp.uni-bonn.de

* Re: List of figures with shorter captions
@ 2005-05-30 12:10 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-05-30 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim 't Hart wrote:

> … I was wondering if it's possible to let ConTeXt write a different
> text to the List of Figures.

See http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0001.pdf,
        nikolai