* Installing Truetype fonts in context.
@ 2005-06-04 14:21 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-04 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

--Like a good little TeXer I have always avoided Truetype fonts.
But now I have a situation where the customer is requesting it,
and has provided the font. So I have tried to follow the
instructinns in the pdftex manual as well as those in Texfont
Explained manual. First I  got apparently clean results but the font
looks just like Computer Modern.  The only error message I can
see is one asking for a pfb file which of course I don't have.

Then following an earlier post I tried something like this. The font
is a Devangari font, or perhaps more properly a Western font that
looks a bit like Devnagari script. Here is my run script:

ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf
texfont --en=8r --ve=truetype --co=all --makepath --install
cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
cat *map >plus.map
mv plus.map /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
updmap
texhash
With this run stream texfont has two complaints: first that it is an unknown
vendor and
second that it cannot find either a pfa or pfb file.

There is a trick to it I am sure, and I am sure I do not know the
trick.

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found
in the excellent books listed in the word-famous shortlist!

* Re: Installing Truetype fonts in context.
@ 2005-06-04 19:28 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-06-04 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 4, 2005, at 4:21 PM, John R. Culleton wrote:

> --Like a good little TeXer I have always avoided Truetype fonts.
> But now I have a situation where the customer is requesting it,
> and has provided the font. So I have tried to follow the
> instructinns in the pdftex manual as well as those in Texfont
> Explained manual. First I  got apparently clean results but the font
> looks just like Computer Modern.  The only error message I can
> see is one asking for a pfb file which of course I don't have.
>
> Then following an earlier post I tried something like this. The font
> is a Devangari font, or perhaps more properly a Western font that
> looks a bit like Devnagari script. Here is my run script:

> ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf
> texfont --en=8r --ve=truetype --co=all --makepath --install
> cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
> cat *map >plus.map
> mv plus.map /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
> updmap
> texhash
> With this run stream texfont has two complaints: first that it is
> an unknown
> vendor and
> second that it cannot find either a pfa or pfb file.
>
> There is a trick to it I am sure, and I am sure I do not know the
> trick.
>

> John Culleton
> The answers to all your publishing questions are found
> in the excellent books listed in the word-famous shortlist!
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf

This: http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf
might have a lot of information that is too basic for you, but it
just might hold some useful bits and pieces. In your case, the key is
that you created a afm. If texfont "sees" a afm, it expects the font
to be a pfb. The tfm it creates is valid nevertheless, you just have
to adjust the map accordingly. But if you follow the advice in the
article above, things should be easier.

Good luck

Thomas

* Re: Installing Truetype fonts in context.
@ 2005-06-04 21:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-04 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:

> ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf

ttf2afm -a -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf

will produce an afm with *all* glyph names/metrics, the 8r will be made from
that one next time; ssuch an afm can be used then for other encodings as well

> texfont --en=8r --ve=truetype --co=all --makepath --install
> cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
> cat *map >plus.map
> mv plus.map /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
> updmap
> texhash
> With this run stream texfont has two complaints: first that it is an unknown
> vendor and
> second that it cannot find either a pfa or pfb file.

can you check the map file? maybe you need to replace the pfb suffix by ttf

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-06-05 11:46   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On Saturday 04 June 2005 09:34 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf
>
> ttf2afm -a -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf
>
> will produce an afm with *all* glyph names/metrics, the 8r will be made
> from that one next time; ssuch an afm can be used then for other encodings
> as well

Interesting fact #1: The ttv2afm program that comes with
Slackware-current (version =1.0) doesn't use the -a option. The
ttf2afm program that comes with TeXlive does. OTOH the Slack
version allows for the option -v for version but the TeXlive
version doesn't. The source in the TeXLive distro says it is
version 1.0 also. So we have two variants of ttf2afm, both
claiming to be version 1.0. The limited TeX for Linux distro from
Pragma.nl is apparently the same as the texLive version in this
respect.  Therefore I will use the TeXLive version of ttf2afm.

Interesting fact #2. The afm files produced for this particular
font  by the TeXLive version with and without option -a are
virtually identical. Here are the results of the diff:

-------------------------------------
< Comment Converted at Sun Jun  5 07:57:17 2005 by ttf2afm from font file
`ds_izmir.ttf'
---
> Comment Converted at Sun Jun  5 07:56:39 2005 by ttf2afm from font file
`ds_izmir.ttf'
15c15,17
< StartCharMetrics 457
---
> StartCharMetrics 459
> C -1 ; WX 500 ; N .notdef ; B 0 0 0 0 ;
> C -1 ; WX 0 ; N .null ; B 0 0 0 0 ;
Continuing:

--
Interesting Fact #3. Apparently the map file created by texfont
needs this tweak. This is not documented elsewhere.

Interesting Fact #4. There is a more or less undocumented option of texfont
which apparently converts a ttf file to its pfb equivalent using
pfaedit. Since pfaedit is now fontforge perhaps fontforge needs
to be aliased back to the earlier name. Or perhaps it doesn't
work with the latest fontforge. I will explore further. Whether
this option is intended to be used alone or integrated in a
regular texfont run is also not clear. No doubt Hans will
enlighten all of us.

The plot thickens, but hopefully the light at the end of the ttf
font tunnel is not just another onrushing train.

John Culleton

* Re: Installing Truetype fonts in context.
@ 2005-06-06 10:08     ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-06 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

Thanks to all who assisted earlier in the thread.

Let me start with a clean sheet of paper. My environment is
Slackware Linux, which puts TeX in /usr/share/. However I have
updated the ttf2afm program by copying the newer version from
TeXLive as previously discussed.  Here are my two font install
scripts. The first is for a pfb file not accompanied by an afm
file. The second is for a ttf file. They both seem to work for
me, given my environment. Both require that the font be put in a
subdirectory by itself to start with. Both require that the font
be assigned an unique name. Both require that updmap.cfg be
modified initially to include a file called plus.map.

 Both are called with

 <command> vendorname fontname.

  Comments/criticisms appreciated. Are they candidates for the
contextgarden WIKI?
-----------------makefonts-----------------------------------

pf2afm *pfb
mkdir /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1
mkdir /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1/$2
cp * /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1/$2/
texfont --en=8r --ve=$1 --co=$2 --ma --in
cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
cat *map >plus.map
mv plus.map /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
updmap
texhash

ttf2afm *ttf
mkdir /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1
mkdir /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1/$2
cp * /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/source/$1/$2/
texfont --en=8r --ve=$1 --co=$2 --ma --in
cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
sed {s/pfb/ttf/} *$2*