It seems that one can't retrieve the textstyle or numberstyle settings from a \setuphead when using \placeheadnumber, as suggested in details.pdf (the example file is more or less a rip-off of the suggested layout at the end of that document). One way to fix this is to use \headnumber[chapter] and put the style directives before it in the \hbox, but that's not really a solution, just a workaround. I've looked through the sources involved in this, but I haven't been able to find anything wrong. Please advice; I'm beginning to become unhinged over here..., nikolai -- Nikolai Weibull: now available free of charge at http://bitwi.se/! Born in Chicago, IL USA; currently residing in Gothenburg, Sweden. main(){printf(&linux["\021%six\012\0"],(linux)["have"]+"fun"-97);}