* \whitespace vs \parskip
@ 2005-06-14  7:38 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-14  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I needed to decrease the spacing between paragraphs to fit
everything in to a newsletter with limited page count.

\parskip 3pt          %works
\setupwhitespace[3pt] %doesn't

Comments?
--

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found

* Re: \whitespace vs \parskip
@ 2005-06-14 11:53   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-14 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nikolai Weibull

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:11 pm, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I needed to decrease the spacing between paragraphs to fit
> > everything in to a newsletter with limited page count.
> >
> > \parskip 3pt          %works
> > \setupwhitespace[3pt] %doesn't
>
> Does using one of the keywords work?  For example,
>
> \setupwhitespace[small]
>
> Enjoy,
>         nikolai
Keywords help, dimensions don't.

Taco asked for a minimal example. I don't want to make it too
minimal however since there may be some unsuspected interaction
between all my code and the way it is supposed to work. With
that caveat here is my example. If one comments out \parskip and
uncomments \setupwhitespace then the spacing above the word
"August" is greater. Reverse these steps and it is smaller.
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setuppagenumbering[location=footer,middle]
\setupwhitespace[3pt]
%\parskip 3pt
\setupfonthandling [hz] [min=25,max=25,step=5]
\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono] [hanging] [normal]
\usetypescriptfile[type-enc]
  \usetypescript [adobekb] [8r]
  \usetypescript [charter][8r]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
\setuplayout[width=.8\paperwidth,location=middle,
topspace=0.3in,
header=0.24in,
height=10in
]

\setupitemize[packed,columns]
\tolerance=500
\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000
\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono] [hanging] [normal]
\usetypescriptfile[type-charter]
  \usetypescript [Charter][8r]
\setupalign[hanging]
  \setupbodyfont
    [MyCharter,9pt]
\starttext
\startcolumns
\section{Calendar}
\subsection{2005}
{\bf June}\crlf
11-12: AD NADAC Agility Games Trial\crlf
12: Obedience Show-n-Go

{\bf July}\crlf
10: Obedience Show-n-Go

{\bf August}\crlf
14: Annual Summer Picnic and\crlf
General Membership meeting\crlf
L. C. Burns Park Westminster
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

Thanks to you and to Taco both for looking into this.

Some of my InDesign-using friends say that the reason they don't
switch to Open Source like TeX or Scribus is because of support
issues. They don't understand why I laugh so hard :)

--

John Culleton

* Re: \whitespace vs \parskip
@ 2005-06-14 12:01 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-14 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> I needed to decrease the spacing between paragraphs to fit
> everything in to a newsletter with limited page count.
>
> \parskip 3pt          %works
> \setupwhitespace[3pt] %doesn't
 > Comments?

I cannot duplicate the problem using a trivial test file, so this
needs a minimal example. (I found it quite easy to achieve the
opposite case)

Taco

* Re: \whitespace vs \parskip
@ 2005-06-14 12:11 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-06-14 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-14 15:43       ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-06-14 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 05:24 pm, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > Taco asked for a minimal example. I don't want to make it too
>
> You were missing:
>
>    \setupcolumns[blank=3pt]
>
> please don't ask me why columns have their own whitespace settings,
> they just do. ;)
>
> Greetings, Taco

As we say over here "there is no reason for it, it is just
company policy."

But at least there is an explanation. Thanks to you one more
time. BTW the Context Manual p 64 doesn't mention a dimension as
an allowable value for to the the "blank=" parameter.

Best wishes,

John Culleton

* Re: \whitespace vs \parskip
@ 2005-06-14 17:24     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-14 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-15 16:08         ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-06-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 05:24 pm, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>John R. Culleton wrote:
>>
>>>Taco asked for a minimal example. I don't want to make it too
>>
>>You were missing:
>>
>>   \setupcolumns[blank=3pt]
>>
>>please don't ask me why columns have their own whitespace settings,
>>they just do. ;)
>>
>>Greetings, Taco
>

> As we say over here "there is no reason for it, it is just
> company policy."
>
> But at least there is an explanation. Thanks to you one more
> time. BTW the Context Manual p 64 doesn't mention a dimension as
> an allowable value for to the the "blank=" parameter.

columns have their own value because it influences grid handling and such

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE