* latin modern / czech polish vietnamese
@ 2005-08-08 20:19 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-08 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Currently plr and csr metrics are still used, but an alternative is to
make those encodings regimes and use qx font encoding instead; that way
we can drop quite some metric files. As far as i know il2 and pl0 are
only used for computer modern.

Concerning vietnamese ... may we assume that latin modern is used there
(i.e. drop vnr)?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: latin modern / czech polish vietnamese
@ 2005-08-09  8:59 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-08-09  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently plr and csr metrics are still used, but an alternative is to
> make those encodings regimes and use qx font encoding instead; that way
> we can drop quite some metric files. As far as i know il2 and pl0 are
> only used for computer modern.

Do you mean only drop metrics from distro or also remove the typescripts
related to this encoding?

I think the first is OK. But it would be nice to be able to use csr font
in ConTeXt if user get font from e.g. CTAN. Latin Modern was improved
from winter when I had some comments to accent's position/shape and I
use them but still there are some national typography differencies that
preserves csr alive. Hopefully these diffs do not influence metrics.
Perhaps, in the future, there might be several LM fonts differs only in
glyph shape but with the same metrics/interface. But it is a question
for another forum.

vit

* Re: latin modern / czech polish vietnamese
@ 2005-08-09 10:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently plr and csr metrics are still used, but an alternative is
>> to make those encodings regimes and use qx font encoding instead;
>> that way we can drop quite some metric files. As far as i know il2
>> and pl0 are only used for computer modern.
>

> Do you mean only drop metrics from distro or also remove the
> typescripts related to this encoding?

currently type-dis does some mapping and it's scanned by default; if we
switch to font encoding qx, then we can omit that scan; of course users
can always include type-dis again

> I think the first is OK. But it would be nice to be able to use csr
> font in ConTeXt if user get font from e.g. CTAN. Latin Modern was
> improved from winter when I had some comments to accent's
> position/shape and I use them but still there are some national
> typography differencies that preserves csr alive. Hopefully these
> diffs do not influence metrics. Perhaps, in the future, there might be
> several LM fonts differs only in glyph shape but with the same
> metrics/interface. But it is a question for another forum.

there will be a new lm release soon (probably this week)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-08-24 16:53 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-08-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen said this at Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:19:28 +0200:

> As far as i know il2 and pl0 are
>only used for computer modern.

A side note, really: the only freely available PS version of the
Concrete font is in pl0 encoding. (Hmm. I wonder who did that conversion...)
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492