* DOC/RTF to ConTeXt via XML [was: Re: ConTeXt to RTF Conversion]
@ 2005-09-26 21:31 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-09-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: phthenry

Thank you so much, Christopher, for your detailed answer!

>===== Original Message From Christopher Creutzig <christopher@creutzig.de>
=====
>Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Would it be possible to define an xml format for the journal so that I
>> could more easily process both ConTeXt/LaTeX articles as well as the
>> docs and rtfs I generally receive? Is this more work than it's worth?
>> It's a humanities journal, so little-to-no math.

> If your most pressing problem is the variety of data formats you
>receive articles in, then no, xml won't help.  You'd still need some way
>of transforming the articles to the format of your choice.  That being
>said, XML may be a very good intermediate step from Word or rtf to
>ConTeXt, if only because OpenOffice has pretty advanced import filters
>and stores its data in a straightforward xml format that should be easy
>to transform, assuming you start with a sufficiently rich set of
>predefined formats and somehow get people to either use them (fat
>chance, I know)

fat chance, perhaps, but maybe...(see below)

>or have them be sufficiently different that you can
>automatically or at least semi-automatically classify the author's
>formatting to your presets.  In really simple cases (e.g., pure prose)
>you may get away with accepting HTML and converting that.

Paul Tremblay's pages seem very useful in this regard:

http://getfo.sourceforge.net/context_xml/contents.html

Question: Is it possible to design a doc or rtf template that Open Office can
convert to a sane, consistent xml format? If the Tremblay approach is rich
enough, that would solve a lot of problems! Here is my idea:

1. Give each author a doc/rtf template for formatting their article;
2. Use OpenOffice to convert to xml;
3. Use the Tremblay method (have not tried it yet) to process this in Context.

Question: Does the entire journal have to be in programmed in xml or can
ConTeXt process xml locally? For example, I may have my own article done in
COnTeXt mixed with other articles done in rtf=>xml.

Any other advice (and/or pitfalls to watch for) would be appreciated. This
sounds very promising!

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: DOC/RTF to ConTeXt via XML [was: Re: ConTeXt to RTF Conversion]
@ 2005-09-26 22:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: phthenry

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>Question: Is it possible to design a doc or rtf template that Open Office can
>convert to a sane, consistent xml format? If the Tremblay approach is rich
>enough, that would solve a lot of problems! Here is my idea:

indeed, although converting open office xml is not always easy; stay
away from tab's and use high level constructs as much as possible

also, try to be very structured

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* How up-to-date is cont-enp.pdf
@ 2005-09-26 23:10   ` Alexander Lazic
From: Alexander Lazic @ 2005-09-26 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i hope it's not a to bad question but how up-to-date is:

cont-enp.pdf => November 12, 2001

and are the .tex-Files available for look and learn ;-)

Just to satisfy my curiosity ;-)

al ;-)

* Re: How up-to-date is cont-enp.pdf
@ 2005-09-27  7:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-09-27  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Lazic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i hope it's not a to bad question but how up-to-date is:
>
> cont-enp.pdf => November 12, 2001
>
> and are the .tex-Files available for look and learn ;-)
>
> Just to satisfy my curiosity ;-)

- actually it's a partial manual, some chapters are still 'unedited'
- because i don't want too much detail in it, some topics got their own manual (column sets, details, color, metafun, tables, etc)
- i'll redo the manual (maybe start this winter) and may split off more parts and/or add other (easier to maintain)

- a general overview of context will be provided by a book written by steve peter and adam lindsay

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-09-27  8:17       ` Alexander Lazic
From: Alexander Lazic @ 2005-09-27  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Die 27.09.2005 09:39, Hans Hagen wrote:

>- actually it's a partial manual, some chapters are still 'unedited'
>- because i don't want too much detail in it, some topics got their own
>manual (column sets, details, color, metafun, tables, etc) - i'll redo
>the manual (maybe start this winter) and may split off more parts
>and/or add other (easier to maintain)

Thanx for explain ;-)

>- a general overview of context will be provided by a book written by
>steve peter and adam lindsay

Do you know when the book will arrive?

greetings

@ 2005-09-27  9:22         ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-09-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Lazic said this at Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:17:18 +0200:

>>- a general overview of context will be provided by a book written by
>>steve peter and adam lindsay
>
>Do you know when the book will arrive?

No.  :)
It's in the early stages yet.
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: How up-to-date is cont-enp.pdf
@ 2005-09-27 10:11           ` Alexander Lazic
From: Alexander Lazic @ 2005-09-27 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Die 27.09.2005 10:22, Adam Lindsay wrote:

>No.  :)

Okay, okay i understand ;-)

>It's in the early stages yet.

Well i can wait, and work with the onlineresources.

greetings

al ;-)