* Texfont map file.
@ 2005-10-06 18:38 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-10-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I always believed that when referring to a file in  a \font
statement one should use the first name found in the appropriate
line in the map file. This is supposedly the name of the tfm file
for that particular font. However texfont produces a map file
like this:

8r-raw-AGaramond-Italic AGaramond-Italic 4 < AGaramond-Italic.pfb 8r.enc
8r-raw-AGaramond-Regular AGaramond-Regular 4 < AGaramond-Regular.pfb 8r.enc
8r-raw-AGaramond-RegularSC AGaramond-RegularSC 4 < AGaramond-RegularSC.pfb
8r.enc

...and texfont actually produces two tfm files per font. The
correct name to use in a \font statement is the second name in
the generated map file statement, not the first. Since not all
map file statements have the second parameter this can be
confusing.

Since texfont attempts to provide for both pdftex and Context
users this little gotcha should be referenced in the texfont
manual. I discovered it by accident.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: Texfont map file.
@ 2005-10-06 21:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-10-06 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:

>I always believed that when referring to a file in  a \font
>statement one should use the first name found in the appropriate
>line in the map file. This is supposedly the name of the tfm file
>for that particular font. However texfont produces a map file
>like this:
>
>8r-raw-AGaramond-Italic AGaramond-Italic 4 < AGaramond-Italic.pfb 8r.enc
>8r-raw-AGaramond-Regular AGaramond-Regular 4 < AGaramond-Regular.pfb 8r.enc
>8r-raw-AGaramond-RegularSC AGaramond-RegularSC 4 < AGaramond-RegularSC.pfb
>8r.enc
>
>...and texfont actually produces two tfm files per font. The
>correct name to use in a \font statement is the second name in
>the generated map file statement, not the first. Since not all
>map file statements have the second parameter this can be
>confusing.
>
>Since texfont attempts to provide for both pdftex and Context
>users this little gotcha should be referenced in the texfont
>manual. I discovered it by accident.

texfont is doing it right -)

what you observe is virtual font handling (which involves multiple tfm/vf metric files)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Texfont map file.
@ 2005-10-06 23:27   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-10-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On Thursday 06 October 2005 09:30 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> >I always believed that when referring to a file in  a \font
> >statement one should use the first name found in the appropriate
> >line in the map file. This is supposedly the name of the tfm file
> >for that particular font. However texfont produces a map file
> >like this:
> >
> >8r-raw-AGaramond-Italic AGaramond-Italic 4 < AGaramond-Italic.pfb 8r.enc
> >8r-raw-AGaramond-Regular AGaramond-Regular 4 < AGaramond-Regular.pfb
> > 8r.enc 8r-raw-AGaramond-RegularSC AGaramond-RegularSC 4 <
> > AGaramond-RegularSC.pfb 8r.enc
> >
> >...and texfont actually produces two tfm files per font. The
> >correct name to use in a \font statement is the second name in
> >the generated map file statement, not the first. Since not all
> >map file statements have the second parameter this can be
> >confusing.
> >
> >Since texfont attempts to provide for both pdftex and Context
> >users this little gotcha should be referenced in the texfont
> >manual. I discovered it by accident.
>
> texfont is doing it right -)
>
> what you observe is virtual font handling (which involves multiple tfm/vf
> metric files)
>
> Hans

Yes indeed. All I am suggesting is a single sentence somewhere specifying
that the second name is the one to be used in a \font statement.

Texfont is a marvel.  I use it regularly. But until today I have been using it
incorrectly.