* utf8 editor problems
@ 2005-11-24  9:28 Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-11-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

I have a problem which is not directly related to context. When I create
document in utf-8 I sometimes get "ïz£" (I hope this is displayed
correctly in the mail clients, (a screen snapshot is attached also))
printed on a single page (in the pdf). These letters are not displayed
in my standard text editors (scite and notepad++). Only when I open the
file in amaya (a xhtml editor) I see these the following letters ""
and I can delete them.

Does anybody know something about this?

Thanks

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: Namenlos.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 634 bytes --]

* Re: utf8 editor problems
@ 2005-11-24  9:39 ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2005-11-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have also seen this (using SciTE and/or gedit, no difference), but
suddenly it disappeard (without upgrading context). This is not of
much help, except that you now know that you are not alone. I have a
reasonable updated ConTeXt on a TeXLive 2004 installation if that
matters...

Best regards, Micke P

On 11/24/05, Wolfgang Zillig <wolfgang.zillig@student.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have a problem which is not directly related to context. When I create
> document in utf-8 I sometimes get "ïz£" (I hope this is displayed
> correctly in the mail clients, (a screen snapshot is attached also))
> printed on a single page (in the pdf). These letters are not displayed
> in my standard text editors (scite and notepad++). Only when I open the
> file in amaya (a xhtml editor) I see these the following letters ""
> and I can delete them.
>
> Does anybody know something about this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: utf8 editor problems
@ 2005-11-24 10:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-24 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Zillig wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have a problem which is not directly related to context. When I
> create document in utf-8 I sometimes get "�z�" (I hope this is
> displayed correctly in the mail clients, (a screen snapshot is
> attached also)) printed on a single page (in the pdf). These letters
> are not displayed in my standard text editors (scite and notepad++).
> Only when I open the file in amaya (a xhtml editor) I see these the
> following letters "" and I can delete them.
>
> Does anybody know something about this?

your editor inserts a special sequence which (in a unicode environment)
indicates that the file is utf encododed

(scite adds them but does not remove them when you change the encoding)

when in utf mode, context will handle this sequence but that may be too late

(if needed i can make texexec recognize it and switch to the utf regime
automatically)

Hans

* Re: utf8 editor problems
@ 2005-11-24 12:35   ` Wolfgang Zillig
From: Wolfgang Zillig @ 2005-11-24 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Hans Hagen schrieb:

> Wolfgang Zillig wrote:
>

>> hello,
>>
>> I have a problem which is not directly related to context. When I
>> create document in utf-8 I sometimes get "�z�" (I hope this is
>> displayed correctly in the mail clients, (a screen snapshot is
>> attached also)) printed on a single page (in the pdf). These letters
>> are not displayed in my standard text editors (scite and notepad++).
>> Only when I open the file in amaya (a xhtml editor) I see these the
>> following letters "" and I can delete them.
>>
>> Does anybody know something about this?
>

> your editor inserts a special sequence which (in a unicode
> environment) indicates that the file is utf encododed
>
> (scite adds them but does not remove them when you change the encoding)
>
> when in utf mode, context will handle this sequence but that may be
> too late
>
> (if needed i can make texexec recognize it and switch to the utf
> regime automatically)
>
> Hans

that was the hint: when I change the file encoding from my environment
file and from the product-files to ansi it disappears from the pdf
(utf-symols usually not needed in there).   This also explains my
problems in my xml-testfiles where I tried in the main tex-document to
code a footer line like: "(c) by me".

Thanks

Wolfgang

* Re: utf8 editor problems
@ 2005-11-24 15:07   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2005-11-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> (scite adds them but does not remove them when you change the
> encoding)

Wow, that's incredibly broken (even more broken than using BOMs in the
first place - or an encoding that depends on them for that matter ;-).

(Thank Rob for UTF-8!)

        nikolai