* Back to sidebars.
@ 2005-12-05 16:28 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-12-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time back (maybe three years ago) Hans showed me a way to
create a sidebar, with optional background and hanging out half
way into the margin. Now I would like to encapsulate the commands
into a simple \start \stop sequence. But I don't know how to do
it.

Hans started off with some definitions:

\setupfloat
   [intermezzo]
   [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
    default={outer,high}]
\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none]

\defineframedtext
   [myohmy]
   [width=6cm,bodyfont=small,
frame=off,
backgroundcorner=round,
backgroundradius=16pt,background=screen,backgroundscreen=.7]

Then he called these two definitions with a sequence like:
(some text)
\placeintermezzo{}{\startmyohmy\input dawkins \relax\stopmyohmy}
(some text)

What I would like to do is boil down the last mentioned command
sequence into

\startsidebar
(some text)
\stopsidebar

But I am stumped by the task. If there were a \startintermezzo
and \stopintermezzo pairing then the task would be simpler.

John Culleton