Hello ConTeXters, in consequence to the Hans' prompt, I've tried to create enc and tfm files for some Japanese fonts. Namely, I've tried the Mona (http://monafont.sourceforge.net/index-e.html) and MS Mincho (distributed with Windows XP). I've done these steps: 1) Created a TTX representation of the font with the ttx utility (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fonttools/) ttx -t cmap -t name msmincho.ttf 2) Created the enc files using the Adam Lindsay's XSL stylesheet (http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/30_10.pdf) I've googled out that Japanse "Katakana" and "Hiragana" characters are located at Unicode offsets 0x30, 0x32, 0x33 and 0xff. So I've created four enc files the following way java -jar saxon8.jar msmincho.ttx ttx2enc.xsl "vector=30" >msmincho30.enc The files are created without errors, but I cannot judge if they are correct... 3) Tried to create the appropriate tfm files with the ttf2tfm utility. ttf2tfm msmincho.ttf -T msmincho30.enc msmincho30.tfm I got a lot of warnings of style: --- cut --- ttf2tfm: WARNING: Cannot find character `uni3064' specified in input encoding. ttf2tfm: WARNING: Cannot find character `uni3065' specified in input encoding. --- cut --- and finally this error: --- cut --- Using msmincho30.enc as input encoding. ttf2tfm: ERROR: No TTF characters. --- cut --- No tfm file was created. Could somebody advise/help me? I really haven't any experience with font conversion and cannot realize what's goings wrong... If somebody is willing to help, I'll send him the appropriate files (I can't post them here - it's over 5MB zipped...). Thanks, Richard