* Problems installing Gentium TTF
@ 2006-01-21 16:56 Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2006-01-21 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello! I am tryingto install the Gentium True type fonts, following
the instructions at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installing_a_TrueType_font%2C_step_by_step

Everything went of well, and I was also able to get the pages of
glyphs from the tests. However, when I try to get the test document
provided at the end of that page to work, I get:

bodyfont        : unknown variant MyGentium

from texexec. I have installed the fonts with --en=ec, so that is
ruled out. What could the problem be?

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,

* Re: Problems installing Gentium TTF
@ 2006-01-21 18:41 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-21 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-21 um 17:56 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:

> from texexec. I have installed the fonts with --en=ec, so that is
> ruled out. What could the problem be?

I don't know where your problems come from.
You could just try using the package from my site:
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4

Don't forget to texhash!

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Problems installing Gentium TTF
@ 2006-01-22 11:25   ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2006-01-22 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 07:41:47PM +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2006-01-21 um 17:56 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:
>
> >from texexec. I have installed the fonts with --en=ec, so that is
> >ruled out. What could the problem be?
>
> I don't know where your problems come from.
> You could just try using the package from my site:
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4
>
> Don't forget to texhash!

Thanks.	I did the same, and I still have a similar problem. I
installed the font in /usr/local/share/texmf, and ran texhash. Now,
that ls-r has the font info. I am getting the following:

(Part of the output):
kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-genr101
! I can't find file `ec-genr101'.
<*> ...four; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-genr101

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...four; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-genr101

[snip]

l.6 \setupbodyfont      [sil-gentium, rm, 12pt]

? H
I wasn't able to read the size data for this font,
so I will ignore the font specification.
[Wizards can fix TFM files using TFtoPL/PLtoTF.]
You might try inserting a different font spec;
e.g., type `I\font<same font id>=<substitute font name>'.

Could you give me any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Kumar

--

@ 2006-01-22 13:03     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-22 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-22 um 12:25 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:

>> I don't know where your problems come from.
>> You could just try using the package from my site:
>> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4
>> Don't forget to texhash!
> Thanks.	I did the same, and I still have a similar problem. I
> installed the font in /usr/local/share/texmf, and ran texhash. Now,
> that ls-r has the font info. I am getting the following:
>
> (Part of the output):
> kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-genr101
> ! I can't find file `ec-genr101'.
> <*> ...four; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-genr101
>
> Please type another input file name
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> ...four; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-genr101
>
> [snip]
>
> l.6 \setupbodyfont      [sil-gentium, rm, 12pt]
>
> ? H
> I wasn't able to read the size data for this font,
> so I will ignore the font specification.
> [Wizards can fix TFM files using TFtoPL/PLtoTF.]
> You might try inserting a different font spec;
> e.g., type `I\font<same font id>=<substitute font name>'.
>
> Could you give me any further suggestions?

Did you read the thread "font encodings (glyph lossed..."?
As you see, we have some problems with TrueType fonts.
My font package from this morning is better than the old one, but
still lacks at least the 'dcroat' letter.

But your problem is another kind.
I'd suggest to start over and use the latest Gentium distribution
(1.02), but so far:

What Gentium files do you have in your fonts tree? Which vendor/
collection names did you use? (sil/gentium?)
- AFMs (not needed)
- TTFs (texmf/fonts/truetype/sil/gentium/*.ttf)
- TFMs (texmf/fonts/tfm/sil/gentium/*.tfm)
- MAPs (texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-sil-gentium.map)

Did you rename all files to lowercase (and without spaces)? ConTeXt
sometimes has problems if file names use uppercase letters.

There should be ec-genr101.tfm and .ttf in your case, that's what TeX
is looking for.

If the TFM is found, you'll run in the next problem: Probably in
the .map file there's '.pfb' instead of '.ttf'

I always need to run texhash with root permissions ('sudo texhash'),
otherwise the database cannot be written.

@ 2006-01-22 15:06       ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2006-01-22 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/22/06, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

> Did you rename all files to lowercase (and without spaces)? ConTeXt
> sometimes has problems if file names use uppercase letters.

Under Linux with teTeX 3.0 (with latest ConTeXt), I try many times
with upper filename (TTF, PFB) and I have never problem with. It works
correctly on my box, and of course under Unix/Linux in general IMHO.

I don't use TeX under Windows, so I have no idea.

--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* Re: Problems installing Gentium TTF
@ 2006-01-22 15:20       ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2006-01-22 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 02:03:42PM +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2006-01-22 um 12:25 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:
>
> Did you read the thread "font encodings (glyph lossed..."?
> As you see, we have some problems with TrueType fonts.
> My font package from this morning is better than the old one, but
> still lacks at least the 'dcroat' letter.
>
> But your problem is another kind.
> I'd suggest to start over and use the latest Gentium distribution
> (1.02), but so far:

Now, that is what I am doing.

> What Gentium files do you have in your fonts tree? Which vendor/
> collection names did you use? (sil/gentium?)
> - AFMs (not needed)
> - TTFs (texmf/fonts/truetype/sil/gentium/*.ttf)
> - TFMs (texmf/fonts/tfm/sil/gentium/*.tfm)
> - MAPs (texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-sil-gentium.map)

I have all the files, and again, I tried to do the wiki's
suggestions. Now, whenever I compile the test file, I get an error in
Acrobat saying "Cannot find font in Resources, using Helvetica
instead".

> Did you rename all files to lowercase (and without spaces)? ConTeXt
> sometimes has problems if file names use uppercase letters.

I have done this, and I believe that this helped.

> There should be ec-genr101.tfm and .ttf in your case, that's what TeX
> is looking for.

Yes, I have the 102 ones.

> If the TFM is found, you'll run in the next problem: Probably in
> the .map file there's '.pfb' instead of '.ttf'

No, that seems all right.

> I always need to run texhash with root permissions ('sudo texhash'),
> otherwise the database cannot be written.

I also run it with root permission.

Thanks for your patient responses. If you think you can suggest
anything further, please do so; though I am on the verge of giving
up...

BTW, it might help if you know that I am using tetex-3.0 on Debian
GNU/Linux.

Thanks again.

Kumar
--

@ 2006-01-23 10:52         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:

>On 1/22/06, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
>

>>Did you rename all files to lowercase (and without spaces)? ConTeXt
>>sometimes has problems if file names use uppercase letters.
>>

>Under Linux with teTeX 3.0 (with latest ConTeXt), I try many times
>with upper filename (TTF, PFB) and I have never problem with. It works
>correctly on my box, and of course under Unix/Linux in general IMHO.
>
>I don't use TeX under Windows, so I have no idea.

windows is less a problem since it handles upper/lowercase transparently; here. i always downcase my font names (1) because unix is sensitive and (2) because vendors are rather inconsistent and deliver mixed upper/lowercase fonts (lt-1234.afm and LT-5678)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE