* Manual
@ 2006-03-10 18:29 Jeffrey Drake
From: Jeffrey Drake @ 2006-03-10 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have heard a bit of talk about 'if the manual is updated' or some
such like that. I was going to have the manual printed in a book so I
have a hardcopy. Is the manual still current and relevant that it
would be worth it?

- Jeff

* Re: Manual
@ 2006-03-10 23:32 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-03-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 10 March 2006 13:29, Jeffrey Drake wrote:
> I have heard a bit of talk about 'if the manual is updated' or some
> such like that. I was going to have the manual printed in a book so I
> have a hardcopy. Is the manual still current and relevant that it
> would be worth it?
>
> - Jeff

The manual is five years old. the pattern has been to issue
additional documentation rather than update the "big" manual.
I printed mine out, have it in my manual rack, and it is getting
worn out from use.

You may as well print it out. I have not heard of a new edition
pending.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: Manual or Book
@ 2006-03-13 22:52   ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2006-03-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 06:32:59PM -0500, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 13:29, Jeffrey Drake wrote:
> > I have heard a bit of talk about 'if the manual is updated' or some
> > such like that. I was going to have the manual printed in a book so I
> > have a hardcopy. Is the manual still current and relevant that it
> > would be worth it?
> >

> The manual is five years old. the pattern has been to issue
> additional documentation rather than update the "big" manual.
> I printed mine out, have it in my manual rack, and it is getting
> worn out from use.

Worn out from use is one of the better things that can happen to a manual.

> You may as well print it out.
> I have not heard of a new edition pending.

Mmmm, I'm also looking for a printed edition of the ConTeXt manual.

Does this ML have publishers subscribed that have some VC to burn?
Or does see someone else see a possibilty for a ConTeXt book?

Geert Stappers

* Re: Manual or Book
@ 2006-03-13 23:05     ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2006-03-13 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 13, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:

> Does this ML have publishers subscribed that have some VC to burn?
> Or does see someone else see a possibilty for a ConTeXt book?

Adam Lindsay and I are planning on writing one. We've got a detailed
outline, but our schedules have been conspiring against us so far.

Steve

* Re: manual
@ 2013-04-03 10:06 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-04-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–04–03 Meer H. van der wrote:

> The latest downloaded ConTeXt manual to be found on my system is:
>
>   ConTeXt reference manual
>   Hans Hagen, Taco Hoekwater
>   June 1,2011
>
> Is there a more recent one?

October 18, 2012:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Manual_being_revised

Marco

* manual
@ 2013-04-03  9:57 Meer H. van der
From: Meer H. van der @ 2013-04-03  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

The latest downloaded ConTeXt manual to be found on my system is:

  ConTeXt reference manual
  Hans Hagen, Taco Hoekwater
  June 1,2011

Is there a more recent one?
I searched the Pragma site, expecting to find it there. Did I look in the wrong place?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: manual
@ 2000-08-12 12:05   ` siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-08-12 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer writes:

 > > Also some remarks about the manual: since it is intended as reference
 > > manual, it should facilitate quick lookup and not require close
 > > reading of an entire chapter.
 >
 > Hmm, I find it served its purpose. But I agree that we can have more
 > manuals, one with lots of examples would be nice. Usually I test with a
 > small test file or look in the source of the manual is not clear, but
 > usually the manual is clear enough. Perhaps you need to get adjusted to
 > its style.
 >
 > Groetjes,
 >
 > Berend. (-:

Yes, I also write small testfiles when the meaning of the manual is
not clear. But when it is necessary to look at the source then there
is clearly something wrong. Especially since Context has pretensions
to user-friendliness that LaTeX doesn't have.

I suspect that the manual fares better for continuous reading than for
lookup. The suggested typographic changes are intended to make lookup
more efficient.

Siep