* \startlines and whitespace
@ 2006-05-16 21:14 frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-05-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there,

i am puzzled about the following issue.
there's extra whitespace between the centered line
and startlines, while when using \crlf, there is not.
\startlines is an environment i guess (i come from latex)
and some environments sometimes add extra whitespace
in latex, if i recall correctly.

when i use \nowhitespace between midaligned and startlines,
the whitespace is smaller, but still there, depending on
where the actual text is on the page.

how can i get rid of the whitespace entirely?

\starttext

\startnarrower[3cm]
\midaligned{test}
\startlines
There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.
There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.
\stoplines
\stopnarrower

\startnarrower[3cm]
\midaligned{test}
There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.\crlf
There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.
\stopnarrower

\stoptext

-f
--
a kind word and gun gets you more than a kind word alone.

* Re: \startlines and whitespace
@ 2006-05-16 22:27 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-16 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 May 2006, frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am puzzled about the following issue.
> there's extra whitespace between the centered line
> and startlines, while when using \crlf, there is not.
> \startlines is an environment i guess (i come from latex)
> and some environments sometimes add extra whitespace
> in latex, if i recall correctly.
>
> when i use \nowhitespace between midaligned and startlines,
> the whitespace is smaller, but still there, depending on
> where the actual text is on the page.
>
> how can i get rid of the whitespace entirely?

Use the before and after mechanism.

\setuplines[before={\startnarrower[3cm]},after=\stopnarrower]

@ 2006-05-16 22:47   ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-05-16 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 06:27:12PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan said that
> Use the before and after mechanism.
>
> \setuplines[before={\startnarrower[3cm]},after=\stopnarrower]
>
> \midaligned{test}
> \startlines
> There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.
> There snores -- I mean sleeps -- my wife so frail.
> \stoplines

thanks for the tip.
sometimes there still is extra whitespace.  but \nowhitespace
seems to supress them without problems.

i think i should also add, that the document has

\setuptolerance         [strict]

so it's not verystrict...

-f
--