* Possible users meeting?
@ 2006-05-15 12:55 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-15 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

On the trip to (and from) Bachotek, Hans and I have discussed a
great many topics related to ConTeXt.

One of the things we discussed was this: If there is sufficient
interest, we could organize a ConTeXt (mini)conference.

Tentative programme:

   friday night   : arrivals
   saturday       : talks
   sunday         : talks/tutorials/workshops
   monday morning : early departures
   monday         : developer meetings & more tutorials

We are thinking about spring 2007 (March or April).

The meeting place would be the south of the Netherlands,  close to
Maastricht Aachen Airport. We cannot say how much it would cost
without a better idea of number of attendees/programme, but we will
try to keep the costs low.

Some stuff we really want to know, so we can make a final decision:

   * are you interested in such a meeting?
     ("no" is also an interesting answer!)

   * would you be willing to give a talk or tutorial?
     (Hans and I cannot talk for three days straight)

   * are you happy with planning/programme?
     (any special requests about topics?)

NOTE: In the interest of email traffic control we request that if you
only reply "yes" or "no", then please reply to me *personally*, and
no to the entire list.  Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Taco
(also talking for Hans)

* Re: Possible users meeting?
@ 2006-05-15 20:17 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-05-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco, Hans,

Definitely a great idea. I feel that so many things are moving that it
could be a good point to establish a new "baseline".
Humble, I would definitely be prepared to help you in whatever respect
if ever my knowledge is big enough: presentation, tutorial ...

Kind regards Willi

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On the trip to (and from) Bachotek, Hans and I have discussed a
> great many topics related to ConTeXt.
>
> One of the things we discussed was this: If there is sufficient
> interest, we could organize a ConTeXt (mini)conference.
>
> Tentative programme:
>
>    friday night   : arrivals
>    saturday       : talks
>    sunday         : talks/tutorials/workshops
>    monday morning : early departures
>    monday         : developer meetings & more tutorials
>
> We are thinking about spring 2007 (March or April).
>
> The meeting place would be the south of the Netherlands,  close to
> Maastricht Aachen Airport. We cannot say how much it would cost
> without a better idea of number of attendees/programme, but we will
> try to keep the costs low.
>
> Some stuff we really want to know, so we can make a final decision:
>
>    * are you interested in such a meeting?
>      ("no" is also an interesting answer!)
>
>    * would you be willing to give a talk or tutorial?
>      (Hans and I cannot talk for three days straight)
>
>    * are you happy with planning/programme?
>      (any special requests about topics?)
>
> NOTE: In the interest of email traffic control we request that if you
> only reply "yes" or "no", then please reply to me *personally*, and
> no to the entire list.  Thanks in advance.
>

> Greetings, Taco
> (also talking for Hans)

* Re: Possible users meeting?
@ 2006-05-16 13:08 ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-05-16 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Mon, May 15, 2006 at 02:55:46PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater said that
> One of the things we discussed was this: If there is sufficient
> interest, we could organize a ConTeXt (mini)conference.

conferences make the world go around :)

as the timeline is quite stretched, i propose to make a
wiki page about this, your mail will be inevitably
lost in the archives.  also the discussion feature of
the wiki will be excellent.

i think a "community" heading on the contextgarden.net
main page would be a great place to put articles like
this (i don't have the right to create it), also along
with companies/individuals offering commercial/non-commercial
support, etc.

i also think that having a news blog (which is quite
dead) is a bit of an overkill, the couple of news
items which appear could be handled manually in
the wiki itself....

oh my, i got quite offtopic again :)

-f
--
i tried switching to gum but i couldn't keep it lit!

* Re: Possible users meeting?
@ 2006-05-22 15:57 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/15/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Tentative programme:
>
>    friday night   : arrivals
>    saturday       : talks
>    sunday         : talks/tutorials/workshops
>    monday morning : early departures
>    monday         : developer meetings & more tutorials

I would suggest to put some stress on documentation as well. There
could be some specific topic proposed each year and some additional
effort put to fill in certain gaps in the documentation.

Interesting talks at 9 in the morning (as in BachoTeX) are a brilliant
idea. Any special guests? (well, you and Hans are special guests
already)

> We are thinking about spring 2007 (March or April).
>
> The meeting place would be the south of the Netherlands,  close to
> Maastricht Aachen Airport.

Sounds OK since it's pretty close to Brussels airport as well. If the
exact date will be announced early enough, many Europeans can probably
get some "priceless" flights (starting from 20 EUR or so).

> Some stuff we really want to know, so we can make a final decision:
>
>    * are you interested in such a meeting?
>      ("no" is also an interesting answer!)

As I already said: sure! (hoping that the date doesn't interfere with
something else)

Mojca

* Re: Possible users meeting?
@ 2006-05-22 20:40   ` Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle @ 2006-05-22 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > We are thinking about spring 2007 (March or April).
> >
> > The meeting place would be the south of the Netherlands,  close to
> > Maastricht Aachen Airport.

Sounds pretty perfect to me ... so I would be there

ray