* XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-23  8:24 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I try to compile the folllowing code with XeTeX, it "hangs" (as if
it was waiting for further input):

\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^f0} % only hangs for "F0", other numbers are OK
\starttext
\stoptext

I didn't manage to test the same example with "plain" XeTeX (tetex is
a bit misconfigured since the standalone ConTeXt is installed), but
Jonathan says that it runs OK on his computer. Is my system broken
again or are some other black forces working anywhere?

Thanks,
    Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: eth.tex --]

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-23 21:03 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-05-23 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

Trying your minimal file on my Mac OS X, with XeConTeXt or with plain
XeTeX, I observe the same hanging...

However, the following, taken out of an example sent to you by
Jonathan K., works fine with both (indeed commenting out \starttext
and \stoptext in plain XeTeX):

\starttext
\font\lmec = ec-lmr10 at 36 pt

\lmec
Testing... ð

Testing... ^^F0

\catcode`č=\active \defč{^^a3}
\catcode`š=\active \defš{^^b2}
\catcode`ž=\active \defž{^^ba}

Testing... čšž

\stoptext

while the following results in a PDF file with "Testing... ° 0"

\starttext
\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}

Testing... ð

\stoptext

Needless to tell you that all this seems extremely obscure to me...

Best regards: OK

On 23 mai 2006, at 10:24, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> If I try to compile the folllowing code with XeTeX, it "hangs" (as if
> it was waiting for further input):
>
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^f0} % only hangs for "F0", other
> numbers are OK
> \starttext
> \stoptext
>
> I didn't manage to test the same example with "plain" XeTeX (tetex is
> a bit misconfigured since the standalone ConTeXt is installed), but
> Jonathan says that it runs OK on his computer. Is my system broken
> again or are some other black forces working anywhere?
>
> Thanks,
>    Mojca
> <eth.tex>

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-24  6:24 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-05-24  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

Trying your minimal file on my Mac OS X, with XeConTeXt or with plain
XeTeX, I observe the same hanging...

However, the following, taken out of an example sent to you by
Jonathan K., works fine with both (indeed commenting out \starttext
and \stoptext in plain XeTeX):

\starttext
\font\lmec = ec-lmr10 at 36 pt

\lmec
Testing... ð

Testing... ^^F0

\catcode`č=\active \defč{^^a3}
\catcode`š=\active \defš{^^b2}
\catcode`ž=\active \defž{^^ba}

Testing... čšž

\stoptext

while the following results in a PDF file with "Testing... ° 0"

\starttext
\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}

Testing... ð

\stoptext

Needless to tell you that all this seems extremely obscure to me...

Best regards: OK

On 23 mai 2006, at 10:24, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> If I try to compile the folllowing code with XeTeX, it "hangs" (as if
> it was waiting for further input):
>
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^f0} % only hangs for "F0", other
> numbers are OK
> \starttext
> \stoptext
>
> I didn't manage to test the same example with "plain" XeTeX (tetex is
> a bit misconfigured since the standalone ConTeXt is installed), but
> Jonathan says that it runs OK on his computer. Is my system broken
> again or are some other black forces working anywhere?
>
> Thanks,
>    Mojca
> <eth.tex>

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-24  8:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-24  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> Trying your minimal file on my Mac OS X, with XeConTeXt or with plain
> XeTeX, I observe the same hanging...
>
> However, the following, taken out of an example sent to you by
> Jonathan K., works fine with both (indeed commenting out \starttext
> and \stoptext in plain XeTeX):
>
> \starttext
> \font\lmec = ec-lmr10 at 36 pt
>
> \lmec
> Testing... ð
>
> Testing... ^^F0
>
> \catcode`č=\active \defč{^^a3}
> \catcode`š=\active \defš{^^b2}
> \catcode`ž=\active \defž{^^ba}
>
> Testing... čšž
>
> \stoptext
>
> while the following results in a PDF file with "Testing... ° 0"
>
> \starttext
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
>
> Testing... ð
>
> \stoptext
>
> Needless to tell you that all this seems extremely obscure to me...

what do you get when you run that with \tracingall

\tracingall

Testing... ð

and what does

\show ð

return? and what

Testing... ðaaa

Hans

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-24 19:20     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-05-24 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 mai 2006, at 10:07, Hans Hagen wrote:

> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall
>
> \tracingall
>
> Testing... ð
>
> and what does
>
> \show ð
>
> return? and what
>
> Testing... ðaaa
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

This file:
%% eth-hans-1.tex
\starttext
what do you get when you run that with \tracingall

Testing... ð

\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
\tracingall

Testing... ð

and what does

%\show ð

return? and what

Testing... ðaaa

Hans

\stoptext
%% end eth-hans-1.tex

typeset with XeConTeXt gives a PDF where again one has "Testing... ð"
in the first occurence, and then "Testing... ° 0", and the process
takes some 41 seconds...

If the above file is typeset with ConTeXt alone it stops with the
error message:

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    ∞
l.9 \catcode`√∞
                =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
?
Process aborted

If the line \show ð is uncommented in the above file, then XeConTeXt
stops with this error message:

[]\*12ptrmtf* and what does
@\par via @@0 b=0 p=-10000 d=100
@@1: line 1.2- t=100 -> @@0

{vertical mode: \show}
 > ð=macro:
->^^F0.
l.14 \show ð

?
Process aborted

Best regards: OK

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 3338 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: eth-hans.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 1192 bytes --]

* making posters with ContexT
@ 2006-05-24 21:55       ` batela
From: batela @ 2006-05-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am trying to making a scientifique poster in Context. I need some
suggestions,
foreground an example, to start. Somebody has a nice example to share?
What is the correct scales for the fonts?

Have a nice day/night

Thanks to all

Jorge

* Re: making posters with ContexT
@ 2006-05-25  5:51         ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2006-05-25  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:55:58PM +0100, batela wrote:
> I am trying to making a scientifique poster in Context. I need some
> suggestions,
> foreground an example, to start. Somebody has a nice example to share?
> What is the correct scales for the fonts?

Hi,

I always start tasks like that by setting the paper size and switching
\showframe ;). About the font size: the poster should be readable from 1.5
meter distance. It's good to start from at least 24 pt. You surely realise
that you have to be extremely concise in your texts, so you may end up at
something like 21 pt (which is suboptimal but acceptable).

Attached you find an example (figures not included). Feel free to modify
it, share and enjoy.

> Jorge

BTW, we'd appreciate if you used your real name in the From: header.

Have a nice towel day,
D.A.

--
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

[-- Attachment #2: fpl2003-poster.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 7387 bytes --]

% vim: set ft=context syn=tex:
% This is FPL 2003 poster
% $Id: fpl2003-poster.tex,v 1.6 2003/08/26 11:36:49 antos Exp $

% General setup

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize[A1][A1]
\mainlanguage[en]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]

% Layout, backgrounds, graphical elements
\setuplayout
  [grid=yes,
   backspace=4cm,
   width=middle,
   topspace=4cm,
   header=0cm,
   footer=1cm,
   footerdistance=23mm,
   bottom=0pt,
   bottomdistance=0pt,
   height=0.94\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds
  [text]
  [frame=on,
   rulethickness=2mm,
   frameoffset=2cm,
   framecorner=round,
   frameradius=2cm,
   framecolor=darkblue]

\setupthinrules
  [rulethickness=2mm,
   color=darkblue]

% Other style settings
\setupwhitespace[big]

\setupbodyfont[sans,21pt]

\setupitemize
  [each]
  [packed,joinedup]

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [number=no,
   style=\tfa\bf,
   page=no,
   after=,
   color=darkblue]

\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000

\setupfootertexts[\hfill\x Typeset with \ConTeXt\quad\quad
Designed by David Anto\v s, 2003]

%\showframe
%\showgrid

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\starttext

\startalignment[middle]
\startlinecorrection
{\tfd\bf Project of IPv6 Router with FPGA Hardware Accelerator}
\stoplinecorrection

\startcolumns[n=3]

{\bf Ji\v r\'{\i} Novotn\'y}\crlf
Institute of Computer Science\crlf
Masaryk University Brno\crlf
Botanick\'a~68a, Brno 602\thinspace00\crlf
Czech Republic\crlf
\type{novotny@liberouter.org}
\column

{\bf Otto Fu\v c\'{\i}k}\crlf
Faculty of Information Technology\crlf
Brno University of Technology\crlf
Bo\v{z}et\v{e}chova~2, Brno 612\thinspace66\crlf
Czech Republic\crlf
\type{fucik@liberouter.org}
\column

{\bf David Anto\v{s}}\crlf
Faculty of Informatics\crlf
Masaryk University Brno\crlf
Botanick\'a~68a, Brno 602\thinspace00\crlf
Czech Republic\crlf
\type{antos@liberouter.org}

\stopcolumns

\stopalignment

% Logos and rule

\noindent
\thinrule
\kern0.03\textwidth
\lower0.039\textwidth\hbox{\externalfigure[cesnet-logo][width=0.16\textwidth]}
\kern0.03\textwidth
\thinrule
\kern0.03\textwidth
\lower0.01\textwidth\hbox{\externalfigure[liberouter][width=0.2\textwidth]}
\kern0.03\textwidth
\thinrule

% Text itself starts here

\startcolumns[n=2]

\chapter{Introduction}

Personal Computer (PC) as a router is
\startitemize
\item Reliable and highly functional
\item Comparable to middle-class routers (e.g., CISCO~7500)
\stopitemize
But\dots
\startitemize
\item Configurable with difficulties (via \type{/etc} files)
\item Limited mainly by PCI system bus (up to 2~Gbps with 64bit/66MHz bus)
\stopitemize

The goal of the \externalfigure[liberouter][height=0.5\baselineskip]{}
project: IPv6 router solving
those limitations. How?
\startitemize
\item Hardware accelerator {\em Combo6}
\item XML based configuration system {\em Netopeer}
\stopitemize

\chapter{Router Architecture}

Combo6 is a PCI card containing FPGA, memories (SSRAMs and DRAM), expansion
connectors, and supporting logic. Network interfaces are mounted on an
expansion daughter card for interfaces to be changed easily.

\startlinecorrection
\midaligned{\externalfigure[combo6][height=12\baselineskip]}
\stoplinecorrection

Design rules (just pure instance of {\em hardware/software codesign}
principles):
\startitemize
\item Packet switching and filtering will be performed by Combo6
\item PC can do the rest; routing path calculations, configuration,
statistics computation
\item Communication through PCI is limited to configuration, routing table
updates, statistics collection, and exception handling
\item Usual Operating System tools can be used, like \type{ifconfig} and
routing daemons
\stopitemize

\chapter{Packet Processing in Hardware}

Key idea: Packet processing in FPGA is done by a chain of dedicated
processors with simple, specialized instruction sets designed for their
particular purposes. We call them {\em nanoprocessors}---they are
interpreted by FPGA's microcode. Instruction sets are \quotation{between
FSMs and RISC processors.}

\startitemize
\item Changing nanoprograms in runtime is possible (with no need of VHDL
compilation)---this differs from Partial Reconfiguration
\item VHDL tools are not needed to change nanoprograms, our free
development environment can be employed
\item New features can be added step-by-step
\item On the contrary, Partial Reconfiguration may produce more efficient
designs
\stopitemize

Packet processing is pipelined. A packet flows through the FPGA and
memories. An incoming packet is received by the Input Packet Buffer and
passed to the Header Field Extractor. The HFE pushes the body of the packet
into the dynamic memory. Meanwhile, it parses its headers and creates a
{\em Unified-header} and a structure reflecting actual arrangement of the
headers. The Unified-header is a fixed structure containing information
relevant for routing and filtering decisions.

The Lookup Processor (LUP) processes the Unified-header performing a lookup
nanoprogram. The lookup nanoprogram is kept in CAM and SRAM. Using CAM is
fast, unfortunately, IPv6 requires nearly 600~bits to check. Widest
available CAMs have less than 300~bits, therefore a combination of CAM
search and lookup instructions (conditional jumps) is used.

\startlinecorrection
\midaligned{\externalfigure[combo.1][height=8\baselineskip]}
\stoplinecorrection

Packet Replicator and Block of Output Queues (RQU) replicates the packet ID
to queues computed by LUP. Output Packet Editor modifies headers of the
packet before it is sent out. Operating system is one of the output
interfaces. It allows to deliver packets to the host computer as well as
handling packets hardware is not able to process.

\chapter{Software Support}

Software drivers are developed for NetBSD (and FreeBSD) and ported to
Linux. Driver operations include FPGA chip configuration, accessing
memories in the card, and hardware/software interface operations.

Other part of router software {\em hides presence of Combo6 in the host
computer}. The card should perform the same routing and filtering
functionality as the host computer itself, only faster. Host computer uses
routing table, configuration of interfaces, and firewall setting, Combo6
has to run the LUP nanoprocessor just once to make a decision how to handle
a packet.

To be able to combine routing table and firewall setting into one lookup
operation, we developed a concept of {\em routing/firewalling
table}---firewall rules are applied on routing table rows a-priori.

\chapter{Netopeer Configuration System}

PC based routers are running under various operating systems with various
configuration files causing problems to network administrators. To
overcome this we are working on a unified configuration environment {\em
Netopeer}. The primary configuration is kept in an XML repository. User
interfaces implement Command Line Interface, web interface, and SNMP.
Configurations for several operating systems and commercial routers can be
generated from the XML, also allowing to convert among the representations.

\startlinecorrection
\midaligned{\externalfigure[xmlconf-david][height=11\baselineskip]}
\stoplinecorrection

\chapter{Acknowledgements}

This research is supported by the FP5 project {\em 6NET} (IST-2001-32603)
and CESNET project {\em IPv6 implementation in the CESNET2 network}
(02/2003).

\stopcolumns

\stoptext

* Re: making posters with ContexT
@ 2006-05-25 18:58           ` batela
From: batela @ 2006-05-25 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

David

This is a great example. Many thanks. Another question: why only two
columns?

Thanks a lot

Jorge

Em 25/05/2006, às 6:51, David Antos escreveu:

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:55:58PM +0100, batela wrote:
>> I am trying to making a scientifique poster in Context. I need some
>> suggestions,
>> foreground an example, to start. Somebody has a nice example to share?
>> What is the correct scales for the fonts?
>
> Hi,
>
> I always start tasks like that by setting the paper size and switching
> \showframe ;). About the font size: the poster should be readable from
> 1.5
> meter distance. It's good to start from at least 24 pt. You surely
> realise
> that you have to be extremely concise in your texts, so you may end up
> at
> something like 21 pt (which is suboptimal but acceptable).
>
> Attached you find an example (figures not included). Feel free to
> modify
> it, share and enjoy.
>
>> Jorge
>
> BTW, we'd appreciate if you used your real name in the From: header.
>
> Have a nice towel day,
> D.A.
>
> --
> Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
> <fpl2003-poster.tex>_______________________________________________

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-26 10:10       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 24 mai 2006, at 10:07, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall�
>>

>> \tracingall�
>>

>> Testing... �
>>

>> and what does�
>>

>> \show �
>>

>> return? and what�
>>

>> Testing... �aaa
>>

>> Hans�
>>

> Hi Hans,
>
> This file:
> %% eth-hans-1.tex
> \starttext
> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall
>
> Testing... �
>
> \catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
> \tracingall
>
> Testing... �
>
> and what does
>
> %\show �
>
> return? and what
>
> Testing... �aaa
>
> Hans
>
> \stoptext
> %% end eth-hans-1.tex
>
> typeset with XeConTeXt gives a PDF where again one has "Testing...��"
> in the first occurence, and then "Testing... � 0", and the process
> takes some 41 seconds...

> If the above file is typeset with ConTeXt alone it stops with the
> error message:
>
> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
> <to be read again>
>                    ∞
> l.9 \catcode`√∞
>                =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
so, it looks like the `<char><char> is not seen as a combination

how did the complete test file look?  what does  the following say:

\bgroup
\let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
\catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
\egroup

Hans

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-26 19:43         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-05-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 mai 2006, at 12:10, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Otared Kavian wrote:
>>
>> On 24 mai 2006, at 10:07, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall�
>>>

>>> \tracingall�
>>>

>>> Testing... �
>>>

>>> and what does�
>>>

>>> \show �
>>>

>>> return? and what�
>>>

>>> Testing... �aaa
>>>

>>> Hans�
>>>

>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> This file:
>> %% eth-hans-1.tex
>> \starttext
>> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall
>>
>> Testing... �
>>
>> \catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
>> \tracingall
>>
>> Testing... �
>>
>> and what does
>>
>> %\show �
>>
>> return? and what
>>
>> Testing... �aaa
>>
>> Hans
>>
>> \stoptext
>> %% end eth-hans-1.tex
>>
>> typeset with XeConTeXt gives a PDF where again one has
>> "Testing...��"
>> in the first occurence, and then "Testing... � 0", and the process
>> takes some 41 seconds...

>> ---
>>

>> If the above file is typeset with ConTeXt alone it stops with the
>> error message:
>>
>> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>> <to be read again>
>>                    ∞
>> l.9 \catcode`√∞
>>                =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
> so, it looks like the `<char><char> is not seen as a combination
>
> how did the complete test file look?  what does  the following say:
>
> \bgroup
> \let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
> \catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
> \egroup

Hi Hans,

Typesetting the following with XeConTeXt:

%% eth-hans-2.tex
\starttext

Testing... ð

\bgroup
\let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
\egroup

Testing... ð
\stoptext

gives what is intended, that is a PDF with twice "Testing... ð".
However the above cannot be typeset with ConTeXt alone, since an
error is diagnosed saying

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    ∞
l.11 \catcode`√∞
                 =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
?

Best regards: OK

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-26 20:09           ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]             ` <1030CD03-6EEC-451E-9D57-0C3FA6794C30@gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-26 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:
> On 26 mai 2006, at 12:10, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Otared Kavian wrote:

>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> This file:
>>> %% eth-hans-1.tex
>>> \starttext
>>> what do you get when you run that with \tracingall
>>>
>>> Testing... �
>>>
>>> \catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
>>> \tracingall
>>>
>>> Testing... �
>>>
>>> and what does
>>>
>>> %\show �
>>>
>>> return? and what
>>>
>>> Testing... �aaa
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>> %% end eth-hans-1.tex
>>>
>>> typeset with XeConTeXt gives a PDF where again one has
>>> "Testing...��"
>>> in the first occurence, and then "Testing... � 0", and the process
>>> takes some 41 seconds...

>>> ---
>>>

>>> If the above file is typeset with ConTeXt alone it stops with the
>>> error message:
>>>
>>> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>>> <to be read again>
>>>                    ∞
>>> l.9 \catcode`√∞
>>>                =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
>>>
>> so, it looks like the `<char><char> is not seen as a combination
>>
>> how did the complete test file look?  what does  the following say:
>>
>> \bgroup
>> \let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
>> \catcode`�=\active \def�{^^F0}
>> \egroup
>>

> Hi Hans,
>
> Typesetting the following with XeConTeXt:
>
> %% eth-hans-2.tex
> \starttext
>
> Testing... ð
>
> \bgroup
> \let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
> \egroup
>
> Testing... ð
> \stoptext
>
> gives what is intended, that is a PDF with twice "Testing... ð".
> However the above cannot be typeset with ConTeXt alone, since an
> error is diagnosed saying
>
> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
> <to be read again>
>                     ∞
> l.11 \catcode`√∞
>                  =\active \def√∞{^^F0}
> ?

i need a bit more info:

= the file eth-hans2.tex (zipped!)

= how you call it, yopu say that it works ok with xecontext, so what do
you mean with 'context alone'

Hans

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
       [not found]             ` <1030CD03-6EEC-451E-9D57-0C3FA6794C30@gmail.com>
@ 2006-05-27 12:36               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-27 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian wrote:

> As told above, ConTeXt is called from within TeXShop, but doing
> texexec eth-hans-2.tex --pdf
> in a Terminal window gives the same result (I apologize for not being
> still up dto date with texmfstart... :-) )
>
> I wanted to let you know that I am gathering a number of issues or
> ConTeXt things which do not work properly when ConTeXt is used
> together with XeTeX. Should I send them directly to you and Taco or
> post each problem separately on the list?

ok, what you see happen in 'non xetex context' is ok,

\catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}

will fail because pdftex is *not* utf and only sees 8 bit characters, so
you can only set the catcodes 0-255

\catcode `<number>=<number>

and in your case `Ã will become a number ° but ° not

\bgroup
\let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
\catcodeð=\active \defð{^^F0}
\egroup

could work (watch out: no `) but again, \catcode<16 bit number> is not
accepted by regular 8 bit tex

so, a the moment, what you observe is ok; at the end of this year, in a
32 bit pdftex, things may work different

Hans

* Re: XeTeX "hangs"
@ 2006-05-27 12:56                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-27 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/27/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Otared Kavian wrote:
> >
> > As told above, ConTeXt is called from within TeXShop, but doing
> > texexec eth-hans-2.tex --pdf
> > in a Terminal window gives the same result (I apologize for not being
> > still up dto date with texmfstart... :-) )
> >
> > I wanted to let you know that I am gathering a number of issues or
> > ConTeXt things which do not work properly when ConTeXt is used
> > together with XeTeX. Should I send them directly to you and Taco or
> > post each problem separately on the list?
> >

> ok, what you see happen in 'non xetex context' is ok,
>
> \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^F0}
>
> will fail because pdftex is *not* utf and only sees 8 bit characters, so
> you can only set the catcodes 0-255

That's true for pdftex, but XeTeX should handle them OK (assuming that
you're using the proper encoding in your file). If you change ^^f0 to
^^f1 or whatever other number, it works without any problems. It's
just ^^f0 that's causing problems for some weird reason. I don't know
if this is XeTeX or ConTeX bug (or the wrong usage perhaps, but it was
Jonathat who sent this example, only for other letters).

> \catcode `<number>=<number>
>
> and in your case `Ã will become a number ° but ° not
>
> \bgroup
> \let\unicodechar\unicodenumber
> \catcodeð=\active \defð{^^F0}
> \egroup
>
> could work (watch out: no `) but again, \catcode<16 bit number> is not
> accepted by regular 8 bit tex

Hans, in what encoding are you sending/using this? Seems like UTF-8
file opened as if it was "latin1" (might be the same).

You should use utf-8-encoded "eth" literally, not two different character
   \catcode`ð=\active \defð{^^f0}  ð

Mojca

* Re: Making posters with ConTeXT
@ 2006-05-24 14:15       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-05-24 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Johan Sandblom wrote:

> No doubt I am being dense, but trying the examples in m-streams.tex
> after inserting
> \usemodule[streams] invariably yield this error
>

> systems         : system commands are enabled
> system          : module streams loaded
> (./m-streams.tex
> system          : module streams (line 314) already loaded
> color           : system rgb is global activated
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.317 \definestreamlayer
>                        [block]
> ?
>

> Johan

The following example works fine on my computer (using ConTeXt ver:
2006.05.17 10:08)

\usemodule[streams]
\starttext
  \definestreamlayer[whatever][width=12cm]

  \startstreamlayer[whatever]
    \startitemize[columns,two][after=]
      \item one
      \item two
      \item three
      \item four
    \stopitemize
  \stopstreamlayer

  \framed[strut=no,align=normal]{\placestreamlayer[whatever]\obeydepth}

  \starttextstreamlayer[whatever]
    \startitemize[columns,two]
      \item one
      \item two
      \item three
      \item four
    \stopitemize
  \stoptextstreamlayer

  \framed[strut=no]{\placetextstreamlayer[whatever]}
\stoptext

Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008

* Re: Making posters with ConTeXT
@ 2006-05-24 13:06     ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2006-05-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

2006/5/24, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> Johan Sandblom wrote:
> > This is an early version of a poster I have used. It is quite
> > non-standard but shows some options for placing things and fonts.
> >
> take a look at m-streams.tex
>
> when you use streams, you can build your poster from snippets that are actually pages, i'e. you can then do most of the tricks that you normally do in the mvl (page stream)
>
> Hans

Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm
m +46735521477  Sweden
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the
will to find out, which is the exact opposite"
- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Making posters with ConTeXT
@ 2006-05-24 10:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

take a look at m-streams.tex

when you use streams, you can build your poster from snippets that are actually pages, i'e. you can then do most of the tricks that you normally do in the mvl (page stream)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-24  8:02 ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2006-05-24  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is an early version of a poster I have used. It is quite
non-standard but shows some options for placing things and fonts.

Regards, Johan
\setuppapersize[A0][A0]
\setuplayout[backspace=2cm,
        topspace=2cm,
        leftedge=2cm, leftedgedistance=0cm,
        rightedge=0cm, rightedgedistance=0cm,
        leftmargin=2cm, leftmargindistance=0cm,
        rightmargin=2cm, rightmargindistance=0cm,
        footer=0cm, header=0cm,
        location=singlesided,
        width=fit,
        height=fit]

\startbuffer[Intro]
\BoxTitle{Introduction}

Experiments investigating the difference between finding something
vaguely famililar and actually recollected may be performed using the
``remember/know'' paradigm.  Subjects are required to specify whether
correctly recognized items were explicitly ``remembered'' or merely
familiar, ``known''.  In spite of experimental design difficulties, a
number of imaging studies have also been performed (Eldridge, Henson).
One difficulty in designing these imaging experiments is that one
would ideally like the subject to answer to questions at once in the
recognition situation: first, whether they recognize the item and if
they do, second, whether they ``remembered'' it or ``knew'' it.  In
the imaging context this is problematic and has been the generator of
some creativity in experimental design.  Instead of having the
subjects making two responses to the same stimulus in the same session
(like Eldridge et al) or having them choose between ``remember'',
``know'' or ``neither'' in the recognition situation (like Henson et
al), we collected the hits and fed them back to the subjects in a new
imaging session asking the subjects to state whether the previous
recognition event was one of recollecting or finding familiar, or that
they cannot recall. \par \stopbuffer

\startbuffer[Methods]
\BoxTitle{Methods}

************************Paradigm illustrated**********************
Twenty young and healthy volunteers were scanned while recognizing 80
words (encoded during an anatomical scan) out of 160. One subject was
discarded because of bizarre task-related movement. Three others were
discarded because they had less than five ``know'' events. The words
were presented for two seconds and the gap between them was four
seconds.  There were three sessions of 88 scans with a TR of 4.2
seconds.  After these three sessions, the subjects' hits were
extracted and two debriefing sessions were constructed containing the
hits, randomly ordered, with 30 percent null events.  We sorted hit
events in the recognition sessions according to whether they were
subsequently ``remembered'', ``known'' or ``guessed''.\par \stopbuffer

\startbuffer[DataAnal]
\BoxTitle{Data Analysis}

\kap{EPI} images were realigned, normalized and smoothed to 12mm
\kap{FWHM}. No slice timing correction was performed. For each person,
$t$-contrasts of the \kap{HRF}, as well as its temporal and dispersion
derivatives were estimated. These were used in a second-level
\kap{ANOVA} to estimate the difference between remember and know. \par
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[Results]
\BoxTitle{Results}

Subjects performed very well on the task.  Hits minus false alarms
averaged 0.53.  65 percent of hits were 'remembered', 26 percent were
'known' and nine percent were 'guessed'.  The contrast between
'remembered' and 'known' hits at recognition shows in the
lingual/fusiform gyrus on the right and the precuneus on the left.
The contrast between 'remembered' and 'known' hits at debriefing
sessions shows activations also in the precuneus bilaterally and the
middle frontal gyrus on the right.
\par \stopbuffer

\startbuffer[Table]
%\placetable[right]{Proportions}
{\bTABLE[frame=on, offset=1mm, framecolor=twhite]
\setupTABLE[row][first][backgroundcolor=tgrey]
\setupTABLE[row][last][backgroundcolor=tgrey]
\bTR\bTD[align=left] $n$    \eTD\bTD 19 \eTD\bTD 16 \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD Remember           \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD Know               \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD Guess              \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD False alarms       \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD Correct rejections \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD Misses             \eTD\bTD    \eTD\bTD    \eTD\eTR
\eTABLE}
\stopbuffer
\startbuffer[Discussion]
\BoxTitle{Discussion}

.  The 'remembered $>$ known' contrast in the
recognition session
Eldridge et al whereas the corresponding contrast in the debriefing
session appears more similar to the increases to R judgments reported
by Henson et al.\par
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[References]
\BoxTitle{References}

\tfxx Eldridge, Knowlton, Furmanski, Bookheimer, Engel: Remembering
episodes: a selective role for the hippocampus during
retrieval.  2000.  Nat Neurosci 11:1149\par

Henson, Rugg, Shallice, Josephs, Dolan: Recollection and familiarity
in recognition memory: an eventrelated functional magnetic resonance
imaging study.  1999.  J Neurosci 19:3962\par
\stopbuffer

\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\setupindenting[none]

% Colors
\setupcolors[state=start, rgb=no, cmyk=yes]
\definecolor[tyellow]      [r=1,   g=1,   b=.2,  t=.3, a=1]
\definecolor[tyyellow]     [r=.8,  g=.8,  b=.2,  t=.3, a=1]
\definecolor[tlightblue]   [r=.7,  g=.7,  b=1,   t=.3, a=1]
\definecolor[tlightred]    [r=1,   g=.7,  b=.7,  t=.3, a=1]
\definecolor[tlightgreen]  [r=.7,  g=1,   b=1,   t=.3, a=1]
\definecolor[tred]         [r=1,   g=.2,  b=.2,  t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tbred]        [r=.7,  g=.15, b=0 ,  t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tbbred]       [r=.6,  g=.1,  b=0,   t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tbbbred]      [r=.5,  g=.1,  b=0,   t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tgreen]       [r=.2,  g=1,   b=.2,  t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tblue]        [r=.2,  g=.2,  b=1,   t=.7, a=1]
\definecolor[tgrey]        [s=.85,               t=.5, a=1]
\definecolor[twhite]       [s=1,                 t=.5, a=1]

% Backgrounds and layers
\setupbackgrounds [page] [background=pagegraphics]
\setupbackgrounds [text] [background=text]
\definelayer
       [pagegraphics]
       [x=2cm, y=2cm,
        width=\paperwidth,
        height=\paperheight]
\definelayer
       [text]
       [x=20mm, y=170mm,
        width=801mm,
        height=1029mm]

\setlayer[pagegraphics][preset=rightbottom]
%\setlayer[pagegraphics][corner={right,bottom}, location={left,top}]
        {\switchtobodyfont[sans,12pt] \rotate[rotation=90]{
        \tbbbred This poster was typeset with \ConTeXt\ }}

\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=20mm,y=200mm]
        {\framed[frame=off,width=801mm,height=250mm,
         background=color,backgroundcolor=tbred]{}}
\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=20mm, y=440mm]
        {\framed[frame=off,width=801mm,height=250mm,
         background=color,backgroundcolor=tbbred]{}}
\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=20mm, y=680mm]
        {\framed[frame=off,width=801mm,height=250mm,
         background=color,backgroundcolor=tred]{}}
\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=20mm, y=920mm]
        {\framed[frame=off,width=801mm,height=250mm,
          background=color,backgroundcolor=tbbred]{}}
%\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=660.8mm, y=200mm]
%        {\framed[frame=off,width=160.2mm,height=94cm,
%          background=color,backgroundcolor=tred]{}}

% Fonts and shit
\enableregime[il1]
\definebodyfontenvironment[32pt]
\definebodyfontenvironment[40pt]
\definebodyfontenvironment[56pt]
%\definebodyfontenvironment[600pt]
% \definebodyfontenvironment[30pt]
% \definebodyfontenvironment[28pt]
\setupbodyfont[sansserif,32pt]

% Unless I say different ...
\setupframed[background=color,
        frame=off,
        align=width,
        offset=15mm]

\definehead[BoxTitle][subject]
\setuphead[BoxTitle]
        [textcommand=\BoxTitleCmd]
\def\BoxTitleCmd#1%
       {\framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, offset=10mm]{\blue #1}}\par
\setupcaptions[number=no]
\setupfloats[location=right]
% The title is not layered, and is placed in the ordinary manner
\starttext
%\setlayer[pagegraphics][corner={left,top}, location={right,bottom}]
\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=25mm, y=25mm]
        {\externalfigure[KI][height=17cm]}
\setlayer[pagegraphics][x=20mm, y=20mm]
        {\framed[backgroundcolor=tyyellow, width=183mm, height=1149mm]{}}
\framed[backgroundcolor=tyellow,
        width=broad,
        height=19cm,
        offset=3cm,
        align=left,
        %bottom=\vfil,
        %top=\vfil
        ]
        {\switchtobodyfont[56pt] \tfd\bf {\darkred Remember/know
revisited}\crlf
       \vfil % \setupinterlinespace[height=.5]
       \switchtobodyfont[40pt]
                \tfa Johan Sandblom$^*$,
                Håkan Fischer$^\dag$,
                Lars Bäckman$^\dag$, % \blank[small] %\\
                Jesper Andersson$^*$, \crlf
                Karl Magnus Petersson$^*$,
                Martin Ingvar$^*$\crlf
                \tfxx $^*$MR Research Centre and
                $^\dag$Aging Research Centre,
                Karolinska Institute, S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden}
%\showbodyfontenvironment

%
%\showlayout
%\showframe
%\showgrid
\setlayer[text] [x=-10mm, y=1030mm] {
        \framed[backgroundcolor=tlightred, width=820mm] {
        \tfxx \getbuffer[References]}}
\setlayer[text] [x=0mm, y=780mm] {
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=350mm] {
        \tfx \getbuffer[Methods]}}
\setlayer[text] [x=420mm, y=780mm] {
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=200mm] {
        \tfx \getbuffer[DataAnal]}}
\setlayer[text] [x=580mm, y=500mm] {
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=200mm]{
        \getbuffer[Discussion]}}
\setlayer[text] [x=390mm, y=180mm] {
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=300mm] {
        \getbuffer[Results]}}
\setlayer[text] [x=680mm, y=180mm]{
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=300mm,
                offset=1mm]{
        \getbuffer[Table]\par}}
\setlayer[text] [x=20mm, y=170mm]{
        \framed[backgroundcolor=twhite, width=300mm]{
        \getbuffer[Intro]\par}}

\stoptext

@ 2006-05-23 22:02 Jorge Manuel de Almeida Magalhães