* Font size in FLOWchart module.
@ 2005-08-07 20:07 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2005-08-07 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using the flowchart module to create various goodies. What
I don't know how to do is regulate the size of the font for the
text that goes inside the little boxes. Any suggestions?
-
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: Font size in FLOWchart module.
@ 2005-08-08  7:37 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-08-08  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> I am using the flowchart module to create various goodies. What
> I don't know how to do is regulate the size of the font for the
> text that goes inside the little boxes. Any suggestions?

I do not known any other way but put the size/style together with text:

\startFLOWcell
   \name{Obs}
   \location{1,1}
   \shape{action}
   \text{{\switchtobodyfont[16pt]\bf Text in cell}}
\stopFLOWcell

If you want to be consistent over several cells, define a macro.
vit

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* Re: Font size in FLOWchart module.
@ 2005-08-08 11:59   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-08 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> John R. Culleton wrote:
>
>> I am using the flowchart module to create various goodies. What
>> I don't know how to do is regulate the size of the font for the
>> text that goes inside the little boxes. Any suggestions?
>

> I do not known any other way but put the size/style together with text:
>
> \startFLOWcell
>   \name{Obs}
>   \location{1,1}
>   \shape{action}
>   \text{{\switchtobodyfont[16pt]\bf Text in cell}}
> \stopFLOWcell
>
> If you want to be consistent over several cells, define a macro.
> vit

in m-chart you will find:

\setupFLOWcharts
  [\c!option=,
   \c!bodyfont=,
   \c!dot=,  % private option
   \c!width=12\bodyfontsize,
   \c!height=7\bodyfontsize,
   \c!maxwidth=,
   \c!maxheight=,
   \c!offset=\v!standard, % == auto offset
   \c!dx=2\bodyfontsize,
   \c!dy=2\bodyfontsize,
   \c!nx=0, % 1,
   \c!ny=0, % 1,
   \c!x=1,
   \c!y=1,
   \c!autofocus=,
   \c!focus=,
   \c!background=,      % \v!color,
   \c!backgroundcolor=\s!white,
   \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
   \c!frame=\v!off,
   \c!framecolor=]

\setupFLOWlines
  [\c!corner=\v!round,
   \c!arrow=\v!yes,
   \c!dash=\v!no,
   \c!radius=.375\bodyfontsize,      % 2.5\c!rulethickness
   \c!color=FLOWlinecolor,
   \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
   \c!offset=\v!none]

\setupFLOWshapes
  [\c!default=action,
   \c!framecolor=FLOWframecolor,
   \c!background=\v!color,
   \c!backgroundcolor=FLOWbackgroundcolor,
   \c!backgroundscreen=\@@rsscreen,
   \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
   \c!offset=.5\bodyfontsize]

\setupFLOWfocus
  [\c!framecolor=FLOWfocuscolor,
   \c!background=\@@FLOSbackground,
   \c!backgroundcolor=\@@FLOSbackgroundcolor,
   \c!backgroundscreen=\@@FLOSbackgroundscreen,
   \c!rulethickness=\@@FLOSrulethickness,
   \c!offset=\@@FLOSoffset]

\definecolor [FLOWfocuscolor]      [s=.2]
\definecolor [FLOWlinecolor]       [s=.5]
\definecolor [FLOWframecolor]      [s=.7]
\definecolor [FLOWbackgroundcolor] [s=.9]

so guess ... what variable can be used to set the bodyfont

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-06-01 12:51     ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On Monday 08 August 2005 07:59, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vit Zyka wrote:
> > John R. Culleton wrote:
> >> I am using the flowchart module to create various goodies. What
> >> I don't know how to do is regulate the size of the font for the
> >> text that goes inside the little boxes. Any suggestions?
> >
> > I do not known any other way but put the size/style together with text:
> >
> > \startFLOWcell
> >   \name{Obs}
> >   \location{1,1}
> >   \shape{action}
> >   \text{{\switchtobodyfont[16pt]\bf Text in cell}}
> > \stopFLOWcell
> >
> > If you want to be consistent over several cells, define a macro.
> > vit
>
> in m-chart you will find:
>
> \setupFLOWcharts
>   [\c!option=,
>    \c!bodyfont=,
>    \c!dot=,  % private option
>    \c!width=12\bodyfontsize,
>    \c!height=7\bodyfontsize,
>    \c!maxwidth=,
>    \c!maxheight=,
>    \c!offset=\v!standard, % == auto offset
>    \c!dx=2\bodyfontsize,
>    \c!dy=2\bodyfontsize,
>    \c!nx=0, % 1,
>    \c!ny=0, % 1,
>    \c!x=1,
>    \c!y=1,
>    \c!autofocus=,
>    \c!focus=,
>    \c!background=,      % \v!color,
>    \c!backgroundcolor=\s!white,
>    \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
>    \c!frame=\v!off,
>    \c!framecolor=]
>
> \setupFLOWlines
>   [\c!corner=\v!round,
>    \c!arrow=\v!yes,
>    \c!dash=\v!no,
>    \c!radius=.375\bodyfontsize,      % 2.5\c!rulethickness
>    \c!color=FLOWlinecolor,
>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
>    \c!offset=\v!none]
>
> \setupFLOWshapes
>   [\c!default=action,
>    \c!framecolor=FLOWframecolor,
>    \c!background=\v!color,
>    \c!backgroundcolor=FLOWbackgroundcolor,
>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@rsscreen,
>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
>    \c!offset=.5\bodyfontsize]
>
> \setupFLOWfocus
>   [\c!framecolor=FLOWfocuscolor,
>    \c!background=\@@FLOSbackground,
>    \c!backgroundcolor=\@@FLOSbackgroundcolor,
>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@FLOSbackgroundscreen,
>    \c!rulethickness=\@@FLOSrulethickness,
>    \c!offset=\@@FLOSoffset]
>
> \definecolor [FLOWfocuscolor]      [s=.2]
> \definecolor [FLOWlinecolor]       [s=.5]
> \definecolor [FLOWframecolor]      [s=.7]
> \definecolor [FLOWbackgroundcolor] [s=.9]
>
> so guess ... what variable can be used to set the bodyfont
>
> Hans

Revisiting this question after an absence I tried redefining
various values from the above list within \setupFLOWcharts. None
worked.  No doubt there is a magic combination I missed. But more
than one user has been perplexed by this.

You know I never did figure out the answer to this one. And
factors such as \tfd were still too small. So I used the
TeX primitive:
\font\cx=bchr8r at 10pt
 external to any other macro
and for each text string in the chart definition
I used the \cx prefix. This was simple,
controllable, and did not interact with anything else. And the
font came out at the expected size.

A better (more Contextish) solution is still requested.

--

@ 2006-06-01 17:45       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-06-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 07:59, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Vit Zyka wrote:
>>> I do not known any other way but put the size/style together with text:
>>>
>>> \startFLOWcell
>>>   \name{Obs}
>>>   \location{1,1}
>>>   \shape{action}
>>>   \text{{\switchtobodyfont[16pt]\bf Text in cell}}
>>> \stopFLOWcell
>>>
>>> If you want to be consistent over several cells, define a macro.
>>> vit
>> in m-chart you will find:
>>
>> \setupFLOWcharts
>>   [\c!option=,
>>    \c!bodyfont=,
>>    \c!dot=,  % private option
>>    \c!width=12\bodyfontsize,
>>    \c!height=7\bodyfontsize,
>>    \c!maxwidth=,
>>    \c!maxheight=,
>>    \c!offset=\v!standard, % == auto offset
>>    \c!dx=2\bodyfontsize,
>>    \c!dy=2\bodyfontsize,
>>    \c!nx=0, % 1,
>>    \c!ny=0, % 1,
>>    \c!x=1,
>>    \c!y=1,
>>    \c!autofocus=,
>>    \c!focus=,
>>    \c!background=,      % \v!color,
>>    \c!backgroundcolor=\s!white,
>>    \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
>>    \c!frame=\v!off,
>>    \c!framecolor=]
>>
>> \setupFLOWlines
>>   [\c!corner=\v!round,
>>    \c!arrow=\v!yes,
>>    \c!dash=\v!no,
>>    \c!radius=.375\bodyfontsize,      % 2.5\c!rulethickness
>>    \c!color=FLOWlinecolor,
>>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
>>    \c!offset=\v!none]
>>
>> \setupFLOWshapes
>>   [\c!default=action,
>>    \c!framecolor=FLOWframecolor,
>>    \c!background=\v!color,
>>    \c!backgroundcolor=FLOWbackgroundcolor,
>>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@rsscreen,
>>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
>>    \c!offset=.5\bodyfontsize]
>>
>> \setupFLOWfocus
>>   [\c!framecolor=FLOWfocuscolor,
>>    \c!background=\@@FLOSbackground,
>>    \c!backgroundcolor=\@@FLOSbackgroundcolor,
>>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@FLOSbackgroundscreen,
>>    \c!rulethickness=\@@FLOSrulethickness,
>>    \c!offset=\@@FLOSoffset]
>>
>> \definecolor [FLOWfocuscolor]      [s=.2]
>> \definecolor [FLOWlinecolor]       [s=.5]
>> \definecolor [FLOWframecolor]      [s=.7]
>> \definecolor [FLOWbackgroundcolor] [s=.9]
>>
>> so guess ... what variable can be used to set the bodyfont
>>
>> Hans
>
> Revisiting this question after an absence I tried redefining
> various values from the above list within \setupFLOWcharts. None
> worked.  No doubt there is a magic combination I missed. But more
> than one user has been perplexed by this.
>
> You know I never did figure out the answer to this one. And
> factors such as \tfd were still too small. So I used the

John, I guess you have

   maxwidth=\textwidth

and your natural chart is wider then \textwidth, is't it?
What happens if you put away maxwidth?

Vit

@ 2006-06-01 22:42         ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-06-01 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 01 June 2006 13:45, Vit Zyka wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:

> >> in m-chart you will find:
> >>
> >> \setupFLOWcharts
> >>   [\c!option=,
> >>    \c!bodyfont=,
> >>    \c!dot=,  % private option
> >>    \c!width=12\bodyfontsize,
> >>    \c!height=7\bodyfontsize,
> >>    \c!maxwidth=,
> >>    \c!maxheight=,
> >>    \c!offset=\v!standard, % == auto offset
> >>    \c!dx=2\bodyfontsize,
> >>    \c!dy=2\bodyfontsize,
> >>    \c!nx=0, % 1,
> >>    \c!ny=0, % 1,
> >>    \c!x=1,
> >>    \c!y=1,
> >>    \c!autofocus=,
> >>    \c!focus=,
> >>    \c!background=,      % \v!color,
> >>    \c!backgroundcolor=\s!white,
> >>    \c!rulethickness=\linewidth,
> >>    \c!frame=\v!off,
> >>    \c!framecolor=]
> >>
> >> \setupFLOWlines
> >>   [\c!corner=\v!round,
> >>    \c!arrow=\v!yes,
> >>    \c!dash=\v!no,
> >>    \c!radius=.375\bodyfontsize,      % 2.5\c!rulethickness
> >>    \c!color=FLOWlinecolor,
> >>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
> >>    \c!offset=\v!none]
> >>
> >> \setupFLOWshapes
> >>   [\c!default=action,
> >>    \c!framecolor=FLOWframecolor,
> >>    \c!background=\v!color,
> >>    \c!backgroundcolor=FLOWbackgroundcolor,
> >>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@rsscreen,
> >>    \c!rulethickness=.15\bodyfontsize,  % 2pt,
> >>    \c!offset=.5\bodyfontsize]
> >>
> >> \setupFLOWfocus
> >>   [\c!framecolor=FLOWfocuscolor,
> >>    \c!background=\@@FLOSbackground,
> >>    \c!backgroundcolor=\@@FLOSbackgroundcolor,
> >>    \c!backgroundscreen=\@@FLOSbackgroundscreen,
> >>    \c!rulethickness=\@@FLOSrulethickness,
> >>    \c!offset=\@@FLOSoffset]
> >>
> >> \definecolor [FLOWfocuscolor]      [s=.2]
> >> \definecolor [FLOWlinecolor]       [s=.5]
> >> \definecolor [FLOWframecolor]      [s=.7]
> >> \definecolor [FLOWbackgroundcolor] [s=.9]
> >>
> >> so guess ... what variable can be used to set the bodyfont
> >>
> >> Hans
> >
> > Revisiting this question after an absence I tried redefining
> > various values from the above list within \setupFLOWcharts. None
> > worked.  No doubt there is a magic combination I missed. But more
> > than one user has been perplexed by this.
> >
> > You know I never did figure out the answer to this one. And
> > factors such as \tfd were still too small. So I used the
>
> John, I guess you have
>
>    maxwidth=\textwidth
>
> and your natural chart is wider then \textwidth, is't it?
> What happens if you put away maxwidth?
>
> Vit

The immediate effect is that everything is bigger and the chart
overflows both margins. The text is at normal size for this
document. So the text problem was solved, but how to get the
widgets and the spaces between them down to a reasonable size?
After much experimentation I came up with this:

\setupFLOWcharts
[
nx=6,
ny=2,
dx=\bodyfontsize,
dy=\bodyfontsize,
width=.15\hsize,
height=.15\hsize,
]
There is still some overflow into the margins and some of the text
is too highly hyphenated. But at least I am on the right track.

When all this is over I may write my own version of the manual
so I won't forget between uses :<)

Thanks much,

John Culleton