* Problem with \typefile
@ 2006-07-19 14:54 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-07-19 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the lines:
\typefile {samp.tex}{samp.tex}
\page[yes]
\stoptext % For debugging purposes

The file samp.tex contains ascii tex from the sample files
knuth, zapf and tufte, concluded by the single tag \bye.

The document compiles fine and displays fine in xpdf or kpdf
(Linux).
 But Acrobat Reader 7.0 (Linux) comes up with the message "there was a
problem with this document" and displays two blank pages instead.
It will however display the rest of the document if the \stoptext
statement above is removed.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: Problem with \typefile
@ 2006-07-19 15:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-07-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:

> The document compiles fine and displays fine in xpdf or kpdf
> (Linux).
>  But Acrobat Reader 7.0 (Linux) comes up with the message "there was a
> problem with this document" and displays two blank pages instead.
> It will however display the rest of the document if the \stoptext
> statement above is removed.

I cannot reproduce that problem. I guess the exact contents of
samp.tex is a key ingredient so if it is not too big ...

(and check your log for font mapping issues)

Success, Taco

* Re: Problem with \typefile
@ 2006-07-19 23:05   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-07-19 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 11:21, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > The document compiles fine and displays fine in xpdf or kpdf
> > (Linux).
> >  But Acrobat Reader 7.0 (Linux) comes up with the message "there was a
> > problem with this document" and displays two blank pages instead.
> > It will however display the rest of the document if the \stoptext
> > statement above is removed.
>
> I cannot reproduce that problem. I guess the exact contents of
> samp.tex is a key ingredient so if it is not too big ...
>
> (and check your log for font mapping issues)
>
> Success, Taco

This was truly a wierd one. Way back in my subfile "macros.tex" I
had an erroneous statement:

\setuptyping [option=tex]

This compiled clean and the resulting pdf could be read in xpdf.
But Acrobat Reader didn't like it.

I have no memory of when or how I came up with that option.

To find the problem first I commented out
\input macros.tex
which identified where the problem was. Then
I commented out the whole macros.tex file (128 lines),
and uncommented it block by block until I found the culprit.

Whew!