* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-18 19:08 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-09-18 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> @Thomas
>
> I could not find a dimension for tfm words in my texmf.cnf file.
> Perhaps an entry only in the linux version ?
>
> It seems that you have a point, since if I use another font
> family, things run smoothly.
>
> When you're using linux again, could you see please
> what the entry looks like?
>
> Greetings
>
> Marcus,

I rebooted into my linux system, and it is indeed a variable called
font_mem_size. Here is the setting in my texmf.cnf:

% Words of font info for TeX (total size of all TFM files,
approximately).
font_mem_size = 2500000

(it was 500000 before I changed the value).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I know nothing about windoze.

Thomas

* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-18 20:37 ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So @ 2006-09-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I increased the variable in the texmf.cnf, but with no success
with the mswincontext package. Some fonts are loaded,
but others not.

With MikTeX 2.5 + ConTeXt, there are no problems to compile
the book.

@ 2006-09-19  7:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-19  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I increased the variable in the texmf.cnf, but with no success
> with the mswincontext package. Some fonts are loaded,
> but others not.
>
> With MikTeX 2.5 + ConTeXt, there are no problems to compile
> the book.
>

> */"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>/* wrote:
>

>     > @Thomas
>     >
>     > I could not find a dimension for tfm words in my texmf.cnf file.
>     > Perhaps an entry only in the linux version ?
>     >
>     > It seems that you have a point, since if I use another font
>     > family, things run smoothly.
>     >
>     > When you're using linux again, could you see please
>     > what the entry looks like?
>     >
>     > Greetings
>     >
>     > Marcus,
>

>     I rebooted into my linux system, and it is indeed a variable called
>     font_mem_size. Here is the setting in my texmf.cnf:
>
>     % Words of font info for TeX (total size of all TFM files,
>     approximately).
>     font_mem_size = 2500000

buf_size.context         = 2000000 % needed for omega bug
extra_mem_bot.context    = 2000000
extra_mem_top.context    = 4000000
font_max.context         =    2000
font_mem_size.context    = 1000000
hash_extra.context       =  100000
main_memory.context      = 2000000
max_strings.context      =  300000
nest_size.context        =     500
obj_tab_size.context     =  300000 % 8388607
pdf_mem_size.context     =  500000 % 524288
dest_names_size.context  =  300000 % 131072
param_size.context       =   10000
pool_free.context        =   47500
pool_size.context        = 2000000
save_size.context        =   50000
stack_size.context       =   10000
string_vacancies.context =  125000
trie_size.context        =  250000
hyph_size.context        =    8191 % prime

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-09-20 21:18     ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So @ 2006-09-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans

Your parameters seem to be the same in the file context.cnf
found (in my mswincontext system) in d:\context\usr\local\context\tex\texmf-local\web2c

Do they override the ones found in texmf.cnf in the same directory? Or is the contrary? Anyway, I used them in both files, regenerated the formats, and mswincontext still could not compile the book which MikTeX 2.5+ConTeXt compile without problems.

I continue to receive a message like the following:

! Font \**\thedefinedfont**=GaramondPremrPro-DisplayOsF at 59.84042pt not loaded: Not enough room left.
<to be read again>

Greetings,

Marcus Vinicius

* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-18 16:36       ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So @ 2006-09-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@Thomas

I could not find a dimension for tfm words in my texmf.cnf file.
Perhaps an entry only in the linux version ?

It seems that you have a point, since if I use another font
family, things run smoothly.

When you're using linux again, could you see please
what the entry looks like?

Greetings

@Mojca

I had a bad time with MikTeX! I was using version 2.4
and I updated it (not upgraded for 2.5). ConTeXt
stopped to function. I tried everything and gave up.
Then I downloaded the mswincontext package and
finally managed to make ConTeXt work againg,
but still with problems with the Adobe Garamond Premier font
family. But this with the mswincontex package.

Then I uninstalled totally MikTeX 2.4, downloaded
MikTeX 2.5 and installed it from scratch. Now ConTeXt
works again and I compiled the book with the
Adobe Garamond Premier fonts without problems.

Thank you for your concern.

Marcus

* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-18  8:12     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-09-18  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/18/06, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So wrote:
>
> > Hello gang!
> >
> > I discovered what caused the problem. The shell !
> > I used 4nt instead of cmd, and with 4nt things don't work well.
> > I tried again with cmd and I managed to compile all three examples
> > without problems.
> >
> > But then I tried to compile a book which MikTeX+ConTexT 2.4
> > (before the update) did very well and I received the following
> > message ( after successfully compiling 105 pages )
> >
> > ! Font \*10ptrmtfrm*=GaramondPremrPro-RegularOsF at 10.03647pt not
> > loaded: Not
> > enough room left.
> > <to be read again>
> >
> > any clues ?
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > Marcus Vinicius
> >

> Yes, I had the same problem on a gentoo install: there is a dimension
> for tfm "words" in your texmf.cnf (can't remember the name off the
> top off and my head and am not under linux right now, but it's easy
> to spot).

Not that easy to spot under MikTeX 2.5 though (I think that's still an
undocummented issue). If there was still miktex.ini (as in MikTeX
2.4), I would probably tell you to change font_mem_size to a bigger
value, although I'm not sure if that's really the option that you have
to change. Under MikTeX 2.5 names for those options have changed
considerably and I have no idea where to look for it.

There are two options:

1. in cmd, use
initexmf --edit-config-file=miktex\config\pdfetex.ini

and add a line in the following spirit (I'm sorry, I have no idea how
to make a test, so you have to test on your own)

    FontMemSize=30000
or perhaps (but I doubt it):
    font_mem_size=30000
but I really have no idea which number you have to put in there (it
might be that 32000 is approximately the upper limit and that pdftex
will crash if you set it higher, it might be that you're allowed to
set it to 100000 or more).

2. A quicker version (for testing) is to use
    set MIKTEX_FONTMEMSIZE=30000
or something similar in cmd before running a document or to add an
additional environmental variable for it.

Please report if any of the settings above will work. It might be best
to ask on the MikTeX mailing list if you won't manage to make it work
after that.

> Change it to a bigger value, regenerate the format, and
> you're back in business. I use Garamond Premier Pro too, and it has
> so many kerning information that the tfms are very big.

Is regenerating the format needed in such a case?

Mojca

* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-18  5:28   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-09-18  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So wrote:

> Hello gang!
>
> I discovered what caused the problem. The shell !
> I used 4nt instead of cmd, and with 4nt things don't work well.
> I tried again with cmd and I managed to compile all three examples
> without problems.
>
> But then I tried to compile a book which MikTeX+ConTexT 2.4
> (before the update) did very well and I received the following
> message ( after successfully compiling 105 pages )
>
> ! Font \*10ptrmtfrm*=GaramondPremrPro-RegularOsF at 10.03647pt not
> loaded: Not
> enough room left.
> <to be read again>
>
> any clues ?
>
> Greetings
>
> Marcus Vinicius

Yes, I had the same problem on a gentoo install: there is a dimension
for tfm "words" in your texmf.cnf (can't remember the name off the
top off and my head and am not under linux right now, but it's easy
to spot). Change it to a bigger value, regenerate the format, and
you're back in business. I use Garamond Premier Pro too, and it has
so many kerning information that the tfms are very big.

HTH

Thomas

* Re: Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-17 22:43 ` Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So
From: Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So @ 2006-09-17 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-09-15 17:46 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-09-15 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/15/06, Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So wrote:
> After upgrading MikTeX, ConTeXt is working no more.

What exactly is wrong? Do you use MikTeX 2.5 or do you mean "I updated
the packages on MikTeX 2.4"? On my computer it's working OK (after
submitting quite some bug reports, but all of them were fixed so far).

> Since I'm not using LaTeX anymore (ConTeXt rules !!! )

Same for me ;)

> I decided to use only the mswincontext package. After downloading it,
> I followed the intructions in
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Windows_Installation#Installation_Instructions
>
> but I could not compile the example (demo-tex.tex)
> In the SciTe windows I receive the following log :
>
> Exec | using randomseed 1152
> TeXExec | tex engine: pdftex
> TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
> TeXExec | progname: context
> warning: Could not open char translation file `natural.tcx'.
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.0-beta-20060213 (Web2c 7.5.5)
>  \write18 enabled.
> I can't find the format file `cont-en.fmt'!
> TeXExec | runtime: 0.359
> >Exit code: 1
>

> Then, from the cmd line, I tried to build the formats with the command:
>
> texexec --make --all

That's the proper move.

> but I received:
>
> TeXExec | using search method 'kpsefast'
> TeXExec | updating file database
> mktexlsr: d:/context/usr/local/context/tex/     EXMF is not
> a directory. Skipping...

Did you manually remove something or is this a literal transcript of
the message? It might be a broken setuptex.bat. What do
    echo %TEXMF%
    echo %TEXMFLOCAL%
return?

You should get something like
{$TEXMFOS,$TEXMFPROJECT,$TEXMFFONTS,$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
and
D:\context\usr\local\context\tex\context\texmf-local
(Not 100% about the last one, but it should be an approximation.)

> mktexlsr: Done.
> TeXExec | using tex engine pdftex
> TeXExec | using tex format path
> D:/context/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-mswin/web2c/pdftex
> TeXExec | generating tex format cont-en
> warning: Could not open char translation file `natural.tcx'.

Do you have natural.tcx in your folder
(.../context/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)? If you have it, the problem
probably lies in "mktexlsr" which doesn't find files if environmental
variables are not set properly.

Or, let me ask another question: how do you "start" context (how do
you call setuptex.bat)?

Mojca

* Help with mswincontext installation
@ 2006-09-15 15:51 Marcus Vinicius Mesquita de So