* Why must I move frame to center it?
@ 2006-11-24 23:40 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-11-24 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using some old code that Hans provided to create a pretty frame around
some text, for purposes of a "Part"  header page. Here is my current test
file:
--------------------------------------
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\definepapersize[bok][width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
\setuppapersize[bok][letter]
\setuplayout[marking=on,margin=.5in,textwidth=4.5in,width=middle,location=middle]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
%\startstandardmakeup
\noheaderandfooterlines
\startuseMPgraphic{bg}
    StartPage ;
      path p ; p := Page enlarged  -10mm ;
      path q ; q := Page enlarged -15mm ;
      drawoptions(withcolor .85white) ;
      fill reverse topboundary    q -- topboundary    p -- cycle ;
      fill reverse bottomboundary q -- bottomboundary p -- cycle ;
      drawoptions(withcolor .65white) ;
      fill reverse leftboundary   q -- leftboundary   p -- cycle ;
      fill reverse rightboundary  q -- rightboundary  p -- cycle ;
    StopPage ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\vglue -1.55in  %???
\hglue -.75in    %???
\useMPgraphic{bg}
\vglue -6.5in
\hglue .2in
\centerline{\bf Here is some text}
%\stopstandardmakeup
\stoptext

Now here is my question: why must I use the negative \vglue and \hglue lines
(arrived at by experimentation) to place the frame properly on the page? Did
I mess something up?
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: Why must I move frame to center it?
@ 2006-11-26 16:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-11-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> I am using some old code that Hans provided to create a pretty frame around
> some text, for purposes of a "Part"  header page. Here is my current test
> file:
> --------------------------------------
> \setupoutput[pdftex]
> \definepapersize[bok][width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
> \setuppapersize[bok][letter]
> \setuplayout[marking=on,margin=.5in,textwidth=4.5in,width=middle,location=middle]
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \starttext
> %\startstandardmakeup
> \noheaderandfooterlines
> \startuseMPgraphic{bg}
>     StartPage ;
>       path p ; p := Page enlarged  -10mm ;
>       path q ; q := Page enlarged -15mm ;
>       drawoptions(withcolor .85white) ;
>       fill reverse topboundary    q -- topboundary    p -- cycle ;
>       fill reverse bottomboundary q -- bottomboundary p -- cycle ;
>       drawoptions(withcolor .65white) ;
>       fill reverse leftboundary   q -- leftboundary   p -- cycle ;
>       fill reverse rightboundary  q -- rightboundary  p -- cycle ;

add setbounds currentpicture to Page ;
>     StopPage ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic

hm, inches ...
> \vglue -1.55in  %???
> \hglue -.75in    %???
> \useMPgraphic{bg}
> \vglue -6.5in
> \hglue .2in
> \centerline{\bf Here is some text}
> %\stopstandardmakeup
> \stoptext
>
> Now here is my question: why must I use the negative \vglue and \hglue lines
> (arrived at by experimentation) to place the frame properly on the page? Did
> I mess something up?

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-11-27 23:59   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-11-27 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On Sunday 26 November 2006 11:27, Hans Hagen wrote:
> setbounds currentpicture to Page ;

Unfortunately the recommended line had no effect.  Did I put it in the right
place?
So here is the file that works (so far!)

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\definepapersize[bok][width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
\setuppapersize[bok][letter]
\setuplayout[marking=on,margin=.5in,textwidth=4.5in,width=middle,location=middle]
\input fonts.tex
\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\noheaderandfooterlines
\startuseMPgraphic{bg}
    StartPage ;
      setbounds currentpicture to Page ;
      path p ; p := Page enlarged  -10mm ;
      path q ; q := Page enlarged -15mm ;
      drawoptions(withcolor .85white) ;
      fill reverse topboundary    q -- topboundary    p -- cycle ;
      fill reverse bottomboundary q -- bottomboundary p -- cycle ;
      drawoptions(withcolor .65white) ;
      fill reverse leftboundary   q -- leftboundary   p -- cycle ;
      fill reverse rightboundary  q -- rightboundary  p -- cycle ;
    StopPage ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\vglue -1.55in
\hglue -.75in
\useMPgraphic{bg}
\vglue -6.5in
%\hglue .2in
\BigSans
\centerline{Part I}
\vskip .4in
\Mythe
\centerline{Prerequisite for Success:}
\vskip .2in
\centerline{A Thorough Understanding}
\vfil
\tfa
\page[yes]
\stoptext

--

@ 2006-11-28  0:44     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-11-28  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Sunday 26 November 2006 11:27, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> setbounds currentpicture to Page ;
>
> Unfortunately the recommended line had no effect.  Did I put it in the right
> place?
> So here is the file that works (so far!)

Here is an alternate approach: Use an overlay as the page background
for one page. Another approach is to let MetaPost do all the page
building (see the source of texmfstart manual mtexmfstart.tex)

\definepapersize  [bok]   [width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
\setuppapersize   [bok]   [letter]
\setuplayout
[marking=on,margin=.5in,textwidth=4.5in,width=middle,location=middle]
\setupcolors      [state=start]

\noheaderandfooterlines

\startuseMPgraphic{bg}
     boolean debug ; debug := false ;
     path Page ; Page = (fullsquare xyscaled (\overlaywidth,
\overlayheight)) ;
     path p ; p := Page enlarged  -10mm ;
     path q ; q := Page enlarged  -15mm ;
     if debug :
       draw Page  withcolor green;
       draw p withcolor red ;
       draw q withcolor blue ;
     fi ;
     drawoptions(withcolor .85white) ;
     fill reverse topboundary    q -- topboundary    p -- cycle ;
     fill reverse bottomboundary q -- bottomboundary p -- cycle ;
     drawoptions(withcolor .65white) ;
     fill reverse leftboundary   q -- leftboundary   p -- cycle ;
     fill reverse rightboundary  q -- rightboundary  p -- cycle ;
     setbounds currentpicture to Page ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[coverpage][\useMPgraphic{bg}]

\starttext
\setupbackgrounds[page]
                  [background=coverpage]

\centerline{Part I}
\vskip .4in
\centerline{Prerequisite for Success:}
\vskip .2in
\centerline{A Thorough Understanding}
\vfil
\tfa

\page[yes]
\setupbackgrounds[page]
                  [background=]

\input knuth

\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: Why must I move frame to center it?
@ 2006-11-28 21:43       ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-11-28 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:44, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> \definepapersize  [bok]   [width=6.0in,height=9.0in]
> \setuppapersize   [bok]   [letter]
> \setuplayout
> [marking=on,margin=.5in,textwidth=4.5in,width=middle,location=middle]
> \setupcolors      [state=start]
>

> \noheaderandfooterlines
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{bg}
>      boolean debug ; debug := false ;
>      path Page ; Page = (fullsquare xyscaled (\overlaywidth,
> \overlayheight)) ;
>      path p ; p := Page enlarged  -10mm ;
>      path q ; q := Page enlarged  -15mm ;
>      if debug :
>        draw Page  withcolor green;
>        draw p withcolor red ;
>        draw q withcolor blue ;
>      fi ;
>      drawoptions(withcolor .85white) ;
>      fill reverse topboundary    q -- topboundary    p -- cycle ;
>      fill reverse bottomboundary q -- bottomboundary p -- cycle ;
>      drawoptions(withcolor .65white) ;
>      fill reverse leftboundary   q -- leftboundary   p -- cycle ;
>      fill reverse rightboundary  q -- rightboundary  p -- cycle ;
>      setbounds currentpicture to Page ;
> \stopuseMPgraphic
>
> \defineoverlay[coverpage][\useMPgraphic{bg}]
>
> \starttext
> \setupbackgrounds[page]
>                   [background=coverpage]
>
> \centerline{Part I}
> \vskip .4in
> \centerline{Prerequisite for Success:}
> \vskip .2in
> \centerline{A Thorough Understanding}
> \vfil
> \tfa
>
> \page[yes]
> \setupbackgrounds[page]
>                   [background=]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

That works perfectly without my kludgy workarounds.  Therefore that is what I
will use!

Many thanks.