* How to make a "natural" table float.
@ 2007-01-31 22:16 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-01-31 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

My task requires alternating whate and gray bars for a table. I was happy to
jump on the Natural Table facility. Further, I want the table to "float" in
the classic TeX fashion. I don't know the exact code for this in Context.

This doesn't work:
\setupcaptions[location=high]
\placetable[here][tab:comp]{Comparison of Corporate and Government Bond
Portfolios}
\setupTABLE[r][even][background=screen]
\bTABLE
\eTABLE
I get the message:
! Missing { inserted.
etc.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: How to make a "natural" table float.
@ 2007-02-01  0:31 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-02-01  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 17:16, John R. Culleton wrote:
> My task requires alternating whate and gray bars for a table. I was happy
> to jump on the Natural Table facility. Further, I want the table to "float"
> in the classic TeX fashion. I don't know the exact code for this in
> Context.
>
> This doesn't work:
> \setupcaptions[location=high]
> \placetable[here][tab:comp]{Comparison of Corporate and Government Bond
> Portfolios}
> \setupTABLE[r][even][background=screen]
> \bTABLE
> \eTABLE
>---------- I get the message:
> ! Missing { inserted.
> etc.

OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]
command puts the caption alongside the table instead of over it. Unfortunately
the customer specifies over rather than under.
--

@ 2007-02-01  1:12 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-02-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

{
}

> I get the message:
> ! Missing { inserted.
> etc.

Add the braces: See above.

Aditya

* Re: How to make a "natural" table float.
@ 2007-02-02 16:14   ` John R. Culleton
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-02-02 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 19:31, John R. Culleton wrote:

> OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
> floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]
> command puts the caption alongside the table instead of over it.
> Unfortunately the customer specifies over rather than under.

To isloate the problem I extracted the table and reran it in a test file:
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setupcaptions[location=high]
\starttext
\placetable[here][tab:comp]{Comparison of Corporate and Government Bond
Portfolios}
{\setupTABLE[r][even][background=screen]
\bTABLE
\bTR
\bTD
\eTD
\bTD Corporate Portfolio
\eTD
\bTD Government Portfolio
\eTD
\eTR
\bTR
\bTD Starting Value
\eTD
\bTD \$100,000
\eTD
\bTD \$100,000
\eTD
\eTR
\eTABLE
}
\stoptext
The caption still apears to the left side of the table, not above it.

--

@ 2007-02-02 18:29     ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-02-02 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 19:31, John R. Culleton wrote:
>
>> OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
>> floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]
>> command puts the caption alongside the table instead of over it.
>> Unfortunately the customer specifies over rather than under.
>
> To isloate the problem I extracted the table and reran it in a test file:
> \setupoutput[pdftex]
> \setupcaptions[location=high]

try "location=top", as high seems to mean something different here (dunno).

Greetings, Peter

@ 2007-02-02 18:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-02-02 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:14:53 -0500
"John R. Culleton" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 19:31, John R. Culleton wrote:
>

> > OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
> > floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]

\setupcaptions[location=top]

The manual is your friend (cont-enp and setup-en).

Wolfgang

@ 2007-02-02 19:03     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-02-02 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The caption still apears to the left side of the table, not above it.
I will see it this weekend.

* Re: How to make a "natural" table float.
@ 2007-02-02 20:30       ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-02-02 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Friday 02 February 2007 13:29, Peter Rolf wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > On Wednesday 31 January 2007 19:31, John R. Culleton wrote:
> >> OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
> >> floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]
> >> command puts the caption alongside the table instead of over it.
> >> Unfortunately the customer specifies over rather than under.
> >
> > To isloate the problem I extracted the table and reran it in a test file:
> > \setupoutput[pdftex]
> > \setupcaptions[location=high]

Eyes saw "top", brain transliterated it to "high," effect was wrong.  Now I am
all better. The other effect was interesting though.  I also discovered that
if I use "placefigure" instead of "placetable" it works but the caption says
figure instead of table. My customer likes to misname things, like calling
tables figures, and parts "sections".  This latter aberration is becoming
common. Context allows me to adapt even to bad nomenclature.

Thanks to you and Wolfgang.  Frequently my Celtic brain needs Teutonic
correction :<)
--

@ 2007-02-03  5:08       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-02-03  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/2/07, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:14:53 -0500
> "John R. Culleton" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 31 January 2007 19:31, John R. Culleton wrote:
> >

> > > OK I solved that problem by enclosing the table in {} and now the table
> > > floats. But now I have a wierder one.  The \setupcaptions[location=high]
>
> \setupcaptions[location=top]

OK even with last pdftex+context distro
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.2 (Web2C 7.5.6) (format=cont-en
2007.2.1)  3 FEB 2007 05:56
entering extended mode
\write18 enabled.
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/opt/texlive/2005-test/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
**test.tex emergencyend
(./test.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.23 13:32 MKII  fmt: 2007.2.1  int: english/english

* Re: How to make a "natural" table float.
@ 2007-02-05 18:23         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-02-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:30:30 -0500
"John R. Culleton" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Friday 02 February 2007 13:29, Peter Rolf wrote:
> > John R. Culleton wrote:
> > >
> > > To isloate the problem I extracted the table and reran it in a test file:
> > > \setupoutput[pdftex]
> > > \setupcaptions[location=high]
> >

> Eyes saw "top", brain transliterated it to "high," effect was wrong.  Now I am
> all better. The other effect was interesting though.  I also discovered that
> if I use "placefigure" instead of "placetable" it works but the caption says
> figure instead of table. My customer likes to misname things, like calling

Hi John,

you can get same result with placetable by changing the text from table
to figure with \setuplabeltext[table=Figure ]

You see, ConTeXt has better ways to do things like this.

Wolfgang

       [not found] <mailman.452.1170440230.2364.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-02-02 19:42 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-02-02 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)