* new user seeks help
@ 2007-02-10 10:51 David C. Walden
From: David C. Walden @ 2007-02-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I tried ConTeXt for the first time a couple of days ago and
successfully created a 4 page letter.  Yesterday I converted
a 60 page booklet from LaTeX to ConTeXt where is now successfully
compiles (but without lots of formatting that I will need to figure
out how to apply).  My problem has to do with using a font
other than the default (CM I guess).  Commands such as the following
have no apparent effect:
    \setupbodyfont[palatino]
    \setupbodyfont[lbr]
Do I need to select some interface to the fonts like I
do in LaTeX when I say
    \usepackage{lucidabr}
or do I need to do some something with TeXfont even though
these fonts are already available to MiKTeX for my use with
LaTeX?

I tried to follow the instructions at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
for making sure MiKTeX knows about ConTeXt. [My MiKTeX came
with the ProTeXt distribution, has been updated to the latest
MiKTeX I believe, and MiKTeX's formats have been updated and
its file name database refreshed.]

I have a reasonably large pile of documentation I have printed
out from www.pragma-ade.com.  Pointers to what may be relevant
to this font problem will be appreciated.

Best regards, Dave
--

            * see http://www.walden-family.com/breakthrough *
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537; ph/fax=508-888-7655/4168

* Re: new user seeks help
@ 2007-02-10 11:41 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-02-10 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dave,

good to see you're giving ConTeXt a whirl! As for the fonts: recent
ConTeXt comes with support for the tex-gyre fonts, so if you want
something like Palatino, try this in your preamble:

\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
\definetypeface[myface] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[myface,12pt]

for something times-like, simply replace palatino with times.

This should also work with MikTeX, I hope.

All best

Thomas

On Feb 10, 2007, at 11:51 AM, David C. Walden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried ConTeXt for the first time a couple of days ago and
> successfully created a 4 page letter.  Yesterday I converted
> a 60 page booklet from LaTeX to ConTeXt where is now successfully
> compiles (but without lots of formatting that I will need to figure
> out how to apply).  My problem has to do with using a font
> other than the default (CM I guess).  Commands such as the following
> have no apparent effect:
>     \setupbodyfont[palatino]
>     \setupbodyfont[lbr]
> Do I need to select some interface to the fonts like I
> do in LaTeX when I say
>     \usepackage{lucidabr}
> or do I need to do some something with TeXfont even though
> these fonts are already available to MiKTeX for my use with
> LaTeX?
>
> I tried to follow the instructions at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> for making sure MiKTeX knows about ConTeXt. [My MiKTeX came
> with the ProTeXt distribution, has been updated to the latest
> MiKTeX I believe, and MiKTeX's formats have been updated and
> its file name database refreshed.]
>
> I have a reasonably large pile of documentation I have printed
> out from www.pragma-ade.com.  Pointers to what may be relevant
> to this font problem will be appreciated.
>
> Best regards, Dave
> --
>
>             * see http://www.walden-family.com/breakthrough *
> home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537; ph/
> fax=508-888-7655/4168

* Re: new user seeks help
@ 2007-02-10 11:59 ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2007-02-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 05:51:10AM -0500, David C. Walden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried ConTeXt for the first time a couple of days ago and
> successfully created a 4 page letter.  Yesterday I converted
> a 60 page booklet from LaTeX to ConTeXt where is now successfully
> compiles (but without lots of formatting that I will need to figure
> out how to apply).  My problem has to do with using a font
> other than the default (CM I guess).  Commands such as the following
> have no apparent effect:
>     \setupbodyfont[palatino]
>     \setupbodyfont[lbr]
> Do I need to select some interface to the fonts like I
> do in LaTeX when I say
>     \usepackage{lucidabr}
> or do I need to do some something with TeXfont even though
> these fonts are already available to MiKTeX for my use with
> LaTeX?

http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#texlive-fonts

This helps. Also, the links at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts are helpful.