* split footnote bug
@ 2007-02-26  9:24 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-02-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

it seems this thread got lost.
For it describes a quite ugly phenomenon I dare to post it again again.

Please, have a look at this 3-page example:

\newdimen\XVertikal \XVertikal=12pt
\setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=\XVertikal]

\setuplayout
	[width=113mm,height=48\XVertikal,
	backspace=20mm,topspace=15mm,
	header=\XVertikal,headerdistance=0.5\XVertikal,
	footer=3.5\XVertikal,footerdistance=0pt,
	location=middle,marking=on,grid=yes]

\showframe \showgrid \showgridboxes \showstruts

\starttext
\dorecurse{10}{\input ward\footnote{\input tufte \relax}}
\stoptext

On page 2 the bottom most line slips down lower than on the other pages.
I observed this behavior in a 450 pages book and the amount the bottom line goes down when footnotes a split is always the same.

Is this because of unhappy values in setuplayout or is it a bug?

Steffen

* Re: split footnote bug
@ 2007-02-26 13:28 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-02-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

The bug seems independent of the values in \setuplayout.
See this really minimal example, look at page 2:

\showframe \showgrid
\starttext

\dorecurse{8}{\input tufte\footnote{\input ward \input tufte \relax}}
\stoptext

Steffen

(To Taco: even playing with \topskip doesn't help. The down-slipping stays.)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:24:12 +0100, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems this thread got lost.
> For it describes a quite ugly phenomenon I dare to post it again again.
>

> Please, have a look at this 3-page example:
>

> \newdimen\XVertikal \XVertikal=12pt
> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=\XVertikal]
>
> \setuplayout
> 	[width=113mm,height=48\XVertikal,
> 	backspace=20mm,topspace=15mm,
> 	header=\XVertikal,headerdistance=0.5\XVertikal,
> 	footer=3.5\XVertikal,footerdistance=0pt,
> 	location=middle,marking=on,grid=yes]
>
> \showframe \showgrid \showgridboxes \showstruts
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{10}{\input ward\footnote{\input tufte \relax}}
> \stoptext
>

> On page 2 the bottom most line slips down lower than on the other pages.
> I observed this behavior in a 450 pages book and the amount the
> bottom line goes down when footnotes a split is always the same.
>

> Is this because of unhappy values in setuplayout or is it a bug?
>
> Steffen

* Re: split footnote bug
@ 2007-02-26 16:40   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-02-26 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

As there was no reply at all on this thread I got in fear that the "slipping last line of a split footnote" is a basic TeX bug, well known and maybe inevitable?!

So I tried to reproduce the same situation in LaTeX (as I don't know the plain TeX equivalent):

\documentclass[11pt]{article}

\begin{document}

\input tufte \input ward\footnote{\input ward \input tufte \relax}

\input tufte \input ward\footnote{\input ward \input tufte \relax}

\input tufte \input ward\footnote{\input ward \input tufte \relax}

\end{document}

Good news: this works! So it seems "only" to be a ConTeXt internal bug, and not part of the TeX core.

Hans, it's your turn :o)

Steffen