* Headers for natural tables.
@ 2007-03-05 19:24 JOHN CULLETON
From: JOHN CULLETON @ 2007-03-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I hve determined by trial and error that the multiline feature [nr=2] of Natural Tables does not work well, if at all, in the TABLEhead area. But the TABLEhead area is necessary for readable split tables. Currently I use single lines in the header area and suppress some of the rules to create a multiline effect thus:

\bTABLE [option=stretch,split=repeat]
\setupTABLE[r][1][height=0cm,width=0cm,frame=off]
\setupTABLE[c][1][width=1.7in]
\setupTABLE[r][2][bottomframe=off]
\setupTABLE[r][3][topframe=off]
\bTABLEhead
\bTR          %dummy row
\bTH \eTH
\bTH \eTH
\bTH \eTH
\eTR
\bTR         %first visible row
\bTH
{\bf Investment} \eTH
\bTH
{\bf Portfolio } \eTH
\bTH
{\bf Average Stock } \eTH
\eTR
\bTR
\bTH
{\bf Category} \eTH
\bTH
{\bf Allocation} \eTH
\bTH
{\bf  Market Exposure} \eTH
\eTR
\eTABLEhead
This example also uses the (apparently) obligatory dummy row as described by others.

Natural Tables have been around for a while. It is unfortunate that no one has come up with a real manual for these tables. All that exists are "learn by example" documents, which do not describe limitations such as the one I worked around in the above code.

John Culleton

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: Headers for natural tables.
@ 2007-03-06 12:06 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-06 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon,  5 Mar 2007 11:24:23 -0800
"JOHN CULLETON" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> I hve determined by trial and error that the multiline feature [nr=2] of Natural Tables does not work well, if at all, in the TABLEhead area. But the TABLEhead area is necessary for readable split tables. Currently I use single lines in the header area and suppress some of the rules to create a multiline effect thus:

Hi John,

> \bTABLE [option=stretch,split=repeat]
> \setupTABLE[r][1][height=0cm,width=0cm,frame=off]
> \setupTABLE[c][1][width=1.7in]
> \setupTABLE[r][2][bottomframe=off]
> \setupTABLE[r][3][topframe=off]
> \bTABLEhead
> \bTR          %dummy row
> \bTH \eTH
> \bTH \eTH
> \bTH \eTH
> \eTR
> \bTR         %first visible row
> \bTH
> {\bf Investment} \eTH

\bTH .. \eTH is only a abbreviation for \bTD[style=bold] ... \eTD, this
means your \bf is not neccessary.

> \bTH
> {\bf Portfolio } \eTH
> \bTH
> {\bf Average Stock } \eTH
> \eTR
> \bTR
> \bTH
> {\bf Category} \eTH
> \bTH
> {\bf Allocation} \eTH
> \bTH
> {\bf  Market Exposure} \eTH
> \eTR
> \eTABLEhead
> This example also uses the (apparently) obligatory dummy row as described by others.
>
> Natural Tables have been around for a while. It is unfortunate that no one has come up with a real manual for these tables. All that exists are "learn by example" documents, which do not describe limitations such as the one I worked around in the above code.
>

> John Culleton

I rewrote your example in a better way

\starttext

\bTABLE [option=stretch,split=repeat]
\setupTABLE[c][first][width=1.7in]
\setupTABLE[r][first][style=bold]
\bTABLEhead
  \bTR
    \bTD Investment\\ Category \eTD
    \bTD Portfolio\\ Allocation \eTD
    \bTD Average Stock\\ Market Exposure \eTD
  \eTR
\eTABLEhead
\bTABLEbody
  \dorecurse{100}{\bTR\bTD text \eTD\bTD text \eTD\bTD text \eTD\eTR}
\eTABLEbody
\eTABLE

\stoptext

Wolfgang