* Re: Some questions about context
       [not found] <mailman.3024.1173519750.17432.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-03-11  3:15 ` Robin Kirkham
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2007-03-11  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Wolfgang,

Many thanks for you help. I solved this problem by simply

\setuplayout[%
     ... ,
     leftedge=20mm,
     rightedge=20mm]
\setupheader[after=\hrule]

It seems that if you give only one argument to \setupheader, it
applies to the whole header, including the left and right edges. So,
I just extend the edges off the page (or anywhere I need -- I don't
use the edges for anything else).

I'll use your \vrule idea to control the line thickness, although the
\hrule default is about right anyway.

Thanks,

Robin

@ 2007-03-11 12:18   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-11 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:15:47 +1100
Robin Kirkham <robin.kirkham@csiro.au> wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Many thanks for you help. I solved this problem by simply
>
> \setuplayout[%
>      ... ,
>      leftedge=20mm,
>      rightedge=20mm]
> \setupheader[after=\hrule]
>
> It seems that if you give only one argument to \setupheader, it
> applies to the whole header, including the left and right edges. So,
> I just extend the edges off the page (or anywhere I need -- I don't
> use the edges for anything else).
>
> I'll use your \vrule idea to control the line thickness, although the
> \hrule default is about right anyway.

Hi Robin,

you can use \hrule height xx pt|cm|... to change the rulethickness. I
needed \vrule in my example because TeX was in horizontal mode where
you can only use \vrule, \hrule therefore can only be used in vertical
mode, you can see is depends on the current TeX if you can use \hrule
or \vrule.

Another thing is that your solution place the rule below the header
text, my method use the headerbackground and is therefore independant
from the current textstyle and size.

I played with your solution and found a few problem. I think there are
also problem that can appear with my solution but I had not tried to
find them.

\setuplayout
  [location=middle,
   leftedge=20mm,
   rightedge=20mm]

\setuppapersize[A5][A4]
%\showframe

\setupheader
  [after=\hrule]

\starttext

\input knuth

\page

\setupheader[state=empty]

\input knuth

\page

\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\setupheader[state=start]

\input knuth

\stoptext

Wolfgang

@ 2007-03-10  7:45   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-10  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 00:00:38 +1100

@ 2007-03-07 11:47             ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2007-03-07 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, thank you very much all of you.

En/na Wolfgang Schuster ha escrit:

@ 2007-03-06 23:01         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-03-06 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/6/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, luigi scarso wrote:
>
> >> PS: Yes, I refer to xyfig.
> > Some time ago there was something about this.
> > I think than xypic has very little chances to become part of context;
> > I used it and I find it useful , but metapost is better (abd perhaps pgf too).
>
> I have never used xypic. I looked at its page at
> http://www.tug.org/applications/Xy-pic/ and it says that it works with
> plain tex. Then it should also work with ConTeXt. Has anyone tried
> using it with ConTeXt?

search in mail list for
Re: XYpic
Vit Zyka <vit.zyka@seznam.cz> (2005-04-29 08:16:55 GMT)

I think the definitive word about XYpic and context .

* Re: Some questions about context
@ 2007-03-06 22:07               ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-03-06 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> For your headers try this:
>>
>> ---
>>
>> \setupheader
>> 	[text]
>> 	[after=\hrule]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>>
>> ---
>>
>> You can change the actual content of your headers via
>> \setupheadertexts ...
>>
>> Instead of the \hrule command above you could also resort to
>> \thinrule. The global behaviour of \thinrule can then be customized
>> via \setupthinrules ... However, this comes at the cost of
>> introducing additional vertical space between your header text and
>> the rule. On the contrary \hrule sticks to the text. Choose whatever
>> suits you best.
>>
>> (To the experts: is this \thinrule behaviour intended?)
>
> A better way is to use \setupbackgrounds. You can specify the exact
> region of the page that you want, and it accepts all the parameters of
> framed, so you can change the rule thickness, background, etc. And for
> a really fancy layout, you can use a metapost background.

I didn't think of that ... however, suppressing the header on certain
pages via e.g.

\setuphead[chapter][header=empty]

doesn't turn off the header background :-(

Oliver

* Re: Some questions about context
@ 2007-03-06 16:20       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06 16:16             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06 16:14           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-06 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Xan wrote:

> En/na Aditya Mahajan ha escrit:
>> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Xan wrote:
>>
>>> Another question: how get the equivalent of ams theorem package?
>>> Sorry for no ask this before and another time, thanks
>>
>> enumerations. This is what I ususally do
>>
>> \defineenumeration[theorem][style=italic,text=Theorem,location=hanging]
>>
>> \starttheorem
>> This is an important theorem
>> \stoptheorem
>>
>> They do almost everything on what is needed for theorems. I am working
>> on providing missing features, so if you find something is missing,
>> feel free to ask.
>
> Thank you very much for give me this opportunity.
> Enumerations work but I need more customization:
>
> 1) How can you change the style of the text (Theorem in our example)?

\defineenumeration[theorem][headstyle=normal|bold|italic|(any font
commnad)]

> 2) How can you change the position of the counter: "1 Theorem" rather
> than "Theorem 1"

No simple way right now. It is possible to do that using left and
right keys. So, something like

\defineenumeration[theorem][text=,right={ Theorem}]

If you do not want the dot after the number, say stopper=, above.

> 3) Is it possible to change the counter? In LaTeX, with much effort and
> help, I could write some code for displaying something like:
>
> Theorem [number of theorem].[numberofpageitappears]. ....
>
> If you want to see the code, I could give you

In ConTeXt this is much easier.

\defineenumeration[theorem][conversion=myconversion]

so, you can do something like

\def\withpagenumbercommand#1{\numbers{#1}.blah\currentpage}

\defineconversion [withpagenumber] [\withpagenumbercommand]

\defineenumeration[test][conversion=withpagenumber]

(I tested this, and this is not working. In fact conversion is not
working with enumerations). This will be fixed soon. If you need it
immediately, there is just a one line change as a workaround.

> 4) What about the indentation of the "body" of the theorem?. If you put:
>
> \starttheorem
> This is an important theorem skjdskad sda sdas dsad asdas das dsafs f
> dsfsdfsdf dfsdf sdf dsfsd fsdfsd fds fdsf ds fsd fds fsdfsdfs fdsfsd f
> \stoptheorem
>
> the text is indented a little bit after the begginning of the line. We
> could have a normal indentation (like AMS theorem do)?

Did I say, that is the way I like it ;) It you do not, do not say
location=hanging.

> 5) Is there an equivalent to \newenvironment in latex? I think about the
> demostration:
>
> \newenvironment{demo}{\medskip Demostració.}{\hfill $\Box$}

Wolfgang answered the equivalent way to do it in ConteXt.

> And another question (in other topic): how we can do lines at header and
> footer like fancyheaders in latex?

\setupbackgrounds[header][text][topframe=on,rulethickness=1pt]

etc.

Aditya

* Re: Some questions about context
       [not found] <mailman.0.1173178801.22858.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-03-06 13:00 ` Robin Kirkham
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2007-03-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

@ 2007-03-06 11:48           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-06 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-03-06 10:19           ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-03-06 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And another question (in other topic): how we can do lines at
> header and
> footer like fancyheaders in latex?

For your headers try this:

---

\setupheader
	[text]
	[after=\hrule]

\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

---

You can change the actual content of your headers via
\setupheadertexts ...

Instead of the \hrule command above you could also resort to
\thinrule. The global behaviour of \thinrule can then be customized
via \setupthinrules ... However, this comes at the cost of
introducing additional vertical space between your header text and
the rule. On the contrary \hrule sticks to the text. Choose whatever
suits you best.

(To the experts: is this \thinrule behaviour intended?)

Best wishes,
Oliver

* Re: Some questions about context
@ 2007-03-06  9:26         ` Xan
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Xan @ 2007-03-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06  9:09       ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2007-03-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

En/na luigi scarso ha escrit:
>> PS: Yes, I refer to xyfig.

Sorry (double): xypic!!
Sorry

> Some time ago there was something about this.
> I think than xypic has very little chances to become part of context;
> I used it and I find it useful , but metapost is better (abd perhaps pgf too).
>
> btw
> grep -i  xypic  in latest distro give
>
> fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.map:% xypic
> tex/context/base/s-abr-01.tex:\logo [XYPIC]      {XYPIC} % wrong logo

Thank you very much for this links.
I saw the MetaPost and MetaFun and it's incredible what we can do with
these!. I'm impressed.

Thanks,
Xan-

@ 2007-03-06  1:46     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-03-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-06  0:37       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-06  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-05 20:21     ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2007-03-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-03-05 20:12   ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2007-03-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, thank you very much to all of you: Wolfgang, Aditya and Mojca.

First of all thank you for answering to what I want (in latex groups
people use to answer "this can't be done" or "do you really want that?")

And secondly, wow!! you provided very amount of information: examples
and code. Good!!! More than ever I imagine

I will study all of that

Thanks,
Xan.

PS: Yes, I refer to xyfig. And my version is
texexec --version

  TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

                texexec : TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2004
                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
                context : ver: 2005.01.31
                cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2006.6.1  mes: english

         total run time : 1 seconds

in ubuntu system

@ 2007-03-05 17:35       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>>> ConTeXt use PDF as default output format. A short test with the dvips
>>> way show a rotated content but the page is not roatated, this seems to
>>> be not suported
>>
>> I do not use dvi route, but the page should be rotated in the ps file.
>> AFAIU, dvi has no option for specifying the page size or page
>> orientation. The viewers that honor ps code for page orientation and
>> size rely on the manner that latex puts in those commands in the dvi
>> file. I do not know if ConTeXt follows that route or not.
>
> Also note that dvi mode is not really supported any more. How old is
> your ConTeXt/TeX distribution? (texexec --version or ctxtools
> --contextversion)
> New versions should give you pdf output by default.

What do you mean by "not supported any more". ConTeXt defaults to pdf, but
texexec --dvi --nobackends will give you a dvi file.

> Yes, dvi is indeed faster, but ...

and allows source specials for forward and backward search. Occasionally,
that is really handy.

Aditya

* Re: Some questions about context
@ 2007-03-05 16:45     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-03-05 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/5/07, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:43:51 +0100
> > Xan <DXpublica@telefonica.net> wrote:
> >
> >> 1) The first question is about landscape mode and xdvi. In latex, if we
> >> want landscape, we put:
> >>
> >> \documentclass[a4paper,10ptt,landscape]{article}
> >>
> >> but when we see .dvi in xdvi, xdvi does not detects automatically that
> >> it's in landscape mode.
> >>
> >> For that, we have to put:
> >>
> >> \usepackage[dvips,...]{geometry}
> >>
> >> now the xdvi show .dvi in landscape mode
> >>

> >> The question is, how we get the same in context?. If we put:
> >>
> >> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
> >>
> >> the xdvi program does not detect that .dvi is in landscape mode. Is
> >> there an equivalent command of geometry that allow that?
> >
> > ConTeXt use PDF as default output format. A short test with the dvips
> > way show a rotated content but the page is not roatated, this seems to
> > be not suported
>
> I do not use dvi route, but the page should be rotated in the ps file.
> AFAIU, dvi has no option for specifying the page size or page
> orientation. The viewers that honor ps code for page orientation and
> size rely on the manner that latex puts in those commands in the dvi
> file. I do not know if ConTeXt follows that route or not.

Also note that dvi mode is not really supported any more. How old is
your ConTeXt/TeX distribution? (texexec --version or ctxtools
--contextversion)
New versions should give you pdf output by default.

Yes, dvi is indeed faster, but ...

> >> 9) Can you tell me some link about babel and hipernation?
> >>

> > You set the language for your document with the \mainlanguage[xx] and
> > the \language[xx] commands where "xx" stands for your language id as
> > "en" for english.
>
> Also \enableregime[utf] for utf input encoding (same as
> \usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}).

or \enableregime[utf-8] ;)

Which language do you want to use?

Mojca

* Re: Some questions about context
@ 2007-03-05 14:44   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-03-05 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:43:51 +0100
> Xan <DXpublica@telefonica.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Xan,
>
>> I'm new user of context. I gone from latex, which I use in the last 5
>> years intensively

Welcome to ConTeXt :)

>> I read your wiki but I don't find some answers to my wishes. Basically I
>> want to know what are the equivalent of latex commands/packages in
>> context. Can you help me in thay?. Thanks in advance.... so let's go:
>>
>> 1) The first question is about landscape mode and xdvi. In latex, if we
>> want landscape, we put:
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper,10ptt,landscape]{article}
>>
>> but when we see .dvi in xdvi, xdvi does not detects automatically that
>> it's in landscape mode.
>>
>> For that, we have to put:
>>
>> \usepackage[dvips,...]{geometry}
>>
>> now the xdvi show .dvi in landscape mode
>>

>> The question is, how we get the same in context?. If we put:
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
>>
>> the xdvi program does not detect that .dvi is in landscape mode. Is
>> there an equivalent command of geometry that allow that?
>
> ConTeXt use PDF as default output format. A short test with the dvips
> way show a rotated content but the page is not roatated, this seems to
> be not suported

I do not use dvi route, but the page should be rotated in the ps file.
AFAIU, dvi has no option for specifying the page size or page
orientation. The viewers that honor ps code for page orientation and
size rely on the manner that latex puts in those commands in the dvi
file. I do not know if ConTeXt follows that route or not.

>> 2) In latex there is the fancyhdr package that allows to put lines at
>> bottom and at top of the page and put right and left headings and
>> footers like: \rhead{Hello} ....
>>
>> What is the equivalent in context?
>>

> The ConTeXt method for headers is:
>
> \setupheadertexts[centered on odd and even page]
> \setupheadertexts[left on odd and even page][right on odd and even page]
> \setupheadertexts[left on even page][right on even page]
>                 [left on odd page][right on odd page]
>
> The same methos id used for footer with \setupfootertexts instead of
> \setupheadertexts.
>
> I attached a file that provides another way to set the headers and
> footers in your document. You can use it with the command
> \usemodule[wolf-txt]. A few examples can be found in the source.
>
>> 3) Is there an equivalent to the package lastpage in context? So can we
>> put [number of page]/[total number of pages] at the bottom of the page?
>
> \setupfootertexts[\pagenumber/\lastpage]

A lot of Latex packages are built into ConTeXt. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Latex_Packages

>> 4) How can we create new counters in context? Like latex
>> \newcounter{mycount}
>
> You can use the plain TeX command \newcount\mycount or the ConTeXt
> command \newcounter\mycount to create a counter. The ConTeXt methos
> provides also the two commands \increment\mycount to increase your own
> counter by one and the command \decrement\mycount to reduce your own
> counter by one.

There are also numbers, which I find easier to use. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Counters

>> 5) In mathematics, in context there are three modules: "nath", "amsl",
>> "new math", according to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math
>>
>> What are these features and limitations? What is the "best"?

I would suggest always use \usemodule[newmat] in your documents. For
inline math, ConTeXt can do everything that LaTeX (and amsmath) do.
For multi-line display, I would consider nath and amsl obsolete.
Almost all of the functionality is available in the core. I wrote an
article in Maps last year showing how to do the common multiline
displays using ConTeXt. I do not think that article is available
online to non-members of ntg right now.

> ConTeXt provides now many functions from these modules by default.
> Aditya wrote a few articles about the new option for maths in his My
> Ways and at the wiki.
>
> Please take a look at the following articles
>
> http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf
> http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/matharrows.pdf

The matharrows My Way is a slightly out of date. For matharrows,
documentation is also provided in math-ext.tex.

And a to be written My Way on subformula numbering.

>> 6) Is there an equivalent module of xyfig?
>>

> Do you mean xypic?
>
> Take a look at Tikz/Pgf:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf/
>
> or MetaPost/MetaFun:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaFun
>
> bot come with their own manuals.
>
>> 7) Is there an equivalence of amssymbols?. How can I display for example
>> $x \leadsto \int_a^b \arcsin (x+\cos \alhpa)$?
>>

> This should work by default. AFAIK the AMS symbols are enabled by
> default in ConTeXT. A short test worked without problems.

You do need to correct the spelling ;) \alpha. Also see
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/basic

I am working on explaining the whole math thing at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math_new but progress has been slow.

>> 8) How can we do a "minipage" in context?
>>

> You can use the more powerful frame environemnt.
>
> \starttext
>
> \framed[width=6cm,align=right]{\readfile{knuth}\donothing\donothing}
>
> \stoptext

Also read the documentation for \defineframedtext, and text
backgrounds (which can also split across pages).

@ 2007-03-05 13:44 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> [...]

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf/

or MetaPost/MetaFun:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaPost
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MetaFun

bot come with their own manuals.

> 7) Is there an equivalence of amssymbols?. How can I display for example
> $x \leadsto \int_a^b \arcsin (x+\cos \alhpa)$?

This should work by default. AFAIK the AMS symbols are enabled by
default in ConTeXT. A short test worked without problems.

> 8) How can we do a "minipage" in context?

You can use the more powerful frame environemnt.

\starttext

\framed[width=6cm,align=right]{\readfile{knuth}\donothing\donothing}

\stoptext

> 9) Can you tell me some link about babel and hipernation?

You set the language for your document with the \mainlanguage[xx] and
the \language[xx] commands where "xx" stands for your language id as

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: wolf-txt.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 7244 bytes --]

@ 2007-03-05 12:43 Xan