* Syntax highlighted output
       [not found] <a1dc3f560704280301g7cfa1e92rcb1d684e85053912@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-04-28 10:04 ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello All,
  I am writing a project report for a PHP project I have completed and
I need to include the code I have written. I would like to have code
that is highlighted similar to the editor I use (it's Notepad2 but I'm
sure most of you know what I mean), has line numbers and is in a
monospaced font.

  Now I know that ConTeXt itself doesn't have support for PHP
highlighting but I have found something in the third party modules
that is able to use ViM to do what I want. Unfortuantely, I can't get
it to work, hence why I am here!

  I'm on Windows XP and I am using the standalone ConTeXt distribution
from the 22nd March 2007. When I came to install the module, I found
that it was already included in the distribution. I have installed the
distribution under C:\ConTeXt\ along with Perl (C:\perl\) and Ruby
(C:\ruby\). What is non-standard in my setup is my own custom built
batch file:

set file=c_Implementation
call C:\ConTeXt\usr\local\context\tex\setuptex.bat
C:\ConTeXt\usr\local\context\tex
call texmfstart texexec --pdf %file%

rem Clears up the log files and puts them in separete directory.
if exist %file%.log move %file%.log Log\%file%.log
if exist %file%-mpgraph.mp move %file%-mpgraph.mp Log\%file%-mpgraph.mp
if exist %file%.tmp move %file%.tmp Log\%file%.tmp
if exist %file%.tui move %file%.tui Log\%file%.tui
if exist %file%.tuo move %file%.tuo Log\%file%.tuo
if exist mpgraph.mp move mpgraph.mp Log\mpgraph.mp
if exist %file%-mpgraph-temp-mpgraph.mp move
%file%-mpgraph-temp-mpgraph.mp Log\%file%-mpgraph-temp-mpgraph.mp
if exist %file%-mpgraph-temp.dvi move %file%-mpgraph-temp.dvi
Log\%file%-mpgraph-temp.dvi
if exist %file%-mpgraph.log move %file%-mpgraph.log Log\%file%-mpgraph.log
if exist %file%-mpgraph.mp.keep move %file%-mpgraph.mp.keep
Log\%file%-mpgraph.mp.keep
if exist %file%-mpgraph.1 move %file%-mpgraph.1 Log\%file%-mpgraph.1
if exist %file%-mpgraph.mpb move %file%-mpgraph.mpb Log\%file%-mpgraph.mpb
if exist %file%-mpgraph.mpo move %file%-mpgraph.mpo Log\%file%-mpgraph.mpo
if exist %file%-mpgraph.mpx move %file%-mpgraph.mpx Log\%file%-mpgraph.mpx

rem Runs whatever is associated with PDF files
if exist %file%.pdf start %file%.pdf

I'll put that in the directory of the .tex file I want to run it on.
In this case it is "c_Implementation.tex". My implementation file
looks like this:

\startcomponent c_Implementation
\product ../prd_TennisClubBookingSystem
\project ../../prj_School

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Setup Figures %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\setupexternalfigures[directory={Implementation/Figures,Figures}]

%%%%%%%%%%%
% Content %
%%%%%%%%%%%
\chapter[cha:Implementation]{Implementation}

\setupcolors[state=start]

\definevimtyping [RUBY] [syntax=ruby]
\startRUBY
#! /usr/bin/ruby
# This is my first ruby program
puts "Hello World"
\stopRUBY

And when I run my batch file on it, TeXexec returns the error:
! Undefined control sequence.
l.36 \definevimtyping
                      [RUBY] [syntax=ruby]

I think where I am falling down is that ViM doesn't seem integrated to
me. I have it placed under C:\Programs\ViM\ and I used the installer
which has all the different types GUI and command line version as
well. Do I need the set something up in the module to make it know
where ViM is or do I need to somehow directly use ViM itself?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any help!

Chris

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 10:59   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-04-28 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/28/07, Chris Rawnsley <rawprawns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>   I am writing a project report for a PHP project I have completed and
> I need to include the code I have written. I would like to have code
> that is highlighted similar to the editor I use (it's Notepad2 but I'm
> sure most of you know what I mean), has line numbers and is in a
> monospaced font.
you can also consider
my 2 cents
 http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/2007-04-17/verb-modu_ebook.pdf
--
luigi

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 14:06     ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> you can also consider
> my 2 cents
>  http://www.logosrl.it/context/modules/2007-04-17/verb-modu_ebook.pdf
> --
> luigi
Thanks for your reply. From what I understand, there isn't currently a
verb file for PHP and I gather they are quite lengthy to write.
Unfortuantely, I don't have the time to write one myself else I might
look further into it.

--

@ 2007-04-28 16:23   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> Hello All,
>  I am writing a project report for a PHP project I have completed and
> I need to include the code I have written. I would like to have code
> that is highlighted similar to the editor I use (it's Notepad2 but I'm
> sure most of you know what I mean), has line numbers and is in a
> monospaced font.
>
>  Now I know that ConTeXt itself doesn't have support for PHP
> highlighting but I have found something in the third party modules
> that is able to use ViM to do what I want. Unfortuantely, I can't get
> it to work, hence why I am here!
>
>  I'm on Windows XP and I am using the standalone ConTeXt distribution
> from the 22nd March 2007. When I came to install the module, I found
> that it was already included in the distribution. I have installed the
> distribution under C:\ConTeXt\ along with Perl (C:\perl\) and Ruby
> (C:\ruby\). What is non-standard in my setup is my own custom built
> batch file:
>
> I'll put that in the directory of the .tex file I want to run it on.
> In this case it is "c_Implementation.tex". My implementation file
> looks like this:
>
> \startcomponent c_Implementation
> \product ../prd_TennisClubBookingSystem
> \project ../../prj_School

You do not need to mention ../ and ../../. ConTeXt automatically
searches for product and project files in one higher directory.

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> % Setup Figures %
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \setupexternalfigures[directory={Implementation/Figures,Figures}]
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> % Content %
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> \chapter[cha:Implementation]{Implementation}
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \definevimtyping [RUBY] [syntax=ruby]
> \startRUBY
> #! /usr/bin/ruby
> # This is my first ruby program
> puts "Hello World"
> \stopRUBY
>
> And when I run my batch file on it, TeXexec returns the error:
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.36 \definevimtyping
>                      [RUBY] [syntax=ruby]

Do you have \usemodule[vim] somewhere in the setup? Does the log file
say something like "module:    ViM Syntax Highliting"

What does texmfstart --locate 't-vim.tex' give?

> I think where I am falling down is that ViM doesn't seem integrated to
> me. I have it placed under C:\Programs\ViM\ and I used the installer
> which has all the different types GUI and command line version as
> well. Do I need the set something up in the module to make it know
> where ViM is or do I need to somehow directly use ViM itself?

You need vim.exe to be in your PATH.

Does texmfstart bin:vim start vim?

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 16:28     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Do you have \usemodule[vim] somewhere in the setup? Does the log file
> say something like "module:    ViM Syntax Highliting"

I realized that the documentation does not say that you need to add
\usemodule[vim] in your file. I will include it in the documentation.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 18:09       ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your reply. It got closer this time but through a different error:

! I can't find file `c_Implementation-vimsyntax.tmp-vimsyntax.tmp'.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\dodotypevimfile ...\input #2-vimsyntax.tmp\relax
                                                  \egroup \@@vsafter
l.41 \stopRUBY

Please type another input file name:

That file isn't created in the directory I am working in and I
searched the computer and couldn't find it anywhere else either. Any
other ideas?

--

@ 2007-04-28 18:26         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. It got closer this time but through a different error:
>
> ! I can't find file `c_Implementation-vimsyntax.tmp-vimsyntax.tmp'.
> <to be read again>
>                   \relax
> \dodotypevimfile ...\input #2-vimsyntax.tmp\relax
>                                                  \egroup \@@vsafter
> l.41 \stopRUBY
>
> Please type another input file name:
>
> That file isn't created in the directory I am working in and I
> searched the computer and couldn't find it anywhere else either. Any
> other ideas?

Do you have write18 enabled? Check the log file, it should say
something like

\wirte18 enabled.

and

system(texmfstrart bin:vim -c ...long list of arguments...) executed

To enable write18 search the wiki for write18.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 19:36           ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Do you have write18 enabled? Check the log file, it should say
> something like
>
> \wirte18 enabled.
Yep the log file mentions that line.

> system(texmfstrart bin:vim -c ...long list of arguments...) executed
Well, firstly, the log says this:

system          : module vim loaded
(c:/ConTeXt/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/vim/t-vim.tex
color           : system hex is loaded

It then goes on to say what you listed. Here is the full output (I
have also shown the tail end of the last error I mentioned in a
previous email):

system(texmfstart bin:vim "-u NONE -e -c \"set noswapfile\" -c \"set tabstop=8\
" -c \"set cp\" -c \"syntax on\" -c \"set syntax=ruby\" -c \"let contextstartli
ne=1\" -c \"let contextstopline=0\" -c \"source kpse:2context.vim\" -c \"wqa\"
" c_Implementation-vimsyntax.tmp)...executed.

@ 2007-04-28 19:41             ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry I missed that other email you posted! Going over it with fine
tooth comb :-)

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 19:50     ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> You do not need to mention ../ and ../../. ConTeXt automatically
> searches for product and project files in one higher directory.
Ah thanks for the tip. I can certainly see that becoming useful in the future.

> What does texmfstart --locate 't-vim.tex' give?

C:/ConTeXt/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/vim/t-vim.tex

> You need vim.exe to be in your PATH.
>
> Does texmfstart bin:vim start vim?
No it didn't. I had it in my path previously but I moved ViM from
Program Files to Programs and I didn't update PATH. I need to reset,
so back in a tick!

Thanks alot for your help!

--

@ 2007-04-28 20:10       ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You need vim.exe to be in your PATH.
>
> Does texmfstart bin:vim start vim?
Right, this now starts ViM.

When I went to compile it threw a different error:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May  7 2006 16:18:30)
Garbage after option argument: "-u NONE -e -c set"
More info with: "vim -h"
! I can't find file `c_Implementation-vimsyntax.tmp-vimsyntax.tmp'.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\dodotypevimfile ...\input #2-vimsyntax.tmp\relax
                                                  \egroup \@@vsafter
l.20 \stopRUBY

@ 2007-04-28 20:23         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

>> You need vim.exe to be in your PATH.
>>
>> Does texmfstart bin:vim start vim?
> Right, this now starts ViM.
>
> When I went to compile it threw a different error:
>
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May  7 2006 16:18:30)
> Garbage after option argument: "-u NONE -e -c set"
> More info with: "vim -h"

This is strange....Are you using command.exe or some other shell? It
appears that there is a problem with quoting of quotes.

what happens when you run the following command (all in one line)

@ 2007-04-28 20:25         ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah ha! It is a very simple thing that is stopping it.

In t-vim.tex on line 312 the preceeding double quote needed to be
removed and on line 324 the double quote before %1 needed to be
removed.

Line 312 before:
          " -u NONE  % No need to read unnessary configurations
Line 312 after:
           -u NONE  % No need to read unnessary configurations

Line 324 before:
            " #1}}
Line 324 after:
            #1}}

I'll move passed just using the examples now and see if this still
works. This is going to save me alot of time. Thanks for your help and
thank you for creating it in the first place :-)

--

@ 2007-04-28 20:33           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> Ah ha! It is a very simple thing that is stopping it.
>
> In t-vim.tex on line 312 the preceeding double quote needed to be
> removed and on line 324 the double quote before %1 needed to be
> removed.
>
> Line 312 before:
>          " -u NONE  % No need to read unnessary configurations
> Line 312 after:
>           -u NONE  % No need to read unnessary configurations
>
> Line 324 before:
>            " #1}}
> Line 324 after:
>            #1}}

I never really understood how quoting behaves in the tex->ruby->vim
chain. Something is still fishy there as the module used to work fine
in my and Mojca's machine (both Windoes). I will try to dig deeper
into it.

> I'll move passed just using the examples now and see if this still
> works. This is going to save me alot of time. Thanks for your help and
> thank you for creating it in the first place :-)

Some caveats

- The module is slow.
- It reconvers the snippets each time you compile your document.
- If you want to typeset a big chunk of code, it is possible to
convert the code using 2context and then just import this code. There
is no user interface for it. In case you need it, I can provide that.

Hopefully, with luatex, writing syntax highlighting will become much
easier.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 20:49             ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

LuaTeX does certainly look very promising indeed.

> - If you want to typeset a big chunk of code, it is possible to
> convert the code using 2context and then just import this code. There
> is no user interface for it. In case you need it, I can provide that.

I think that solution would be best for me. I have quite a large chunk
of code so compiling will take a while. If you mean a user interface
as in GUI, I'm fine with working on the command line. If you weren't
talking about a GUI then if you could spare the time it'd be
greatfully appreciated.

Just as a side note, is there a way to fix it so that line numberings
are always on the left? Oh and how can I change to a fixed width font
for code listings?

--

@ 2007-04-28 21:17               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-28 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> LuaTeX does certainly look very promising indeed.
>
>> - If you want to typeset a big chunk of code, it is possible to
>> convert the code using 2context and then just import this code. There
>> is no user interface for it. In case you need it, I can provide that.
>
> I think that solution would be best for me. I have quite a large chunk
> of code so compiling will take a while. If you mean a user interface
> as in GUI, I'm fine with working on the command line. If you weren't
> talking about a GUI then if you could spare the time it'd be
> greatfully appreciated.

Suppose you have a file called program.php. You create a batch file
that runs the texmfstart bin:vim ... line to create
program-vimsyntax.tmp file. Then in your ConTeXt code, you can say,

\typevimfile[convert=no][program.php]

So, compiling will not be slowed by running vim each time. But you
will manually have to make sure that you convert all files. I will try
to provide a user interface for something like this.

> Just as a side note, is there a way to fix it so that line numberings
> are always on the left?

\sesupvimtyping[numbering=on]

> Oh and how can I change to a fixed width font
> for code listings?

By default, \tftt and \tt fonts are used for code listing. The easiest
way to change to a different font is to use it as your
default teletype font. If that is not possible, then you will need to
define a new colorscheme, along the lines of the default colorscheme,
but changing \v!mono with whatever font you want.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-28 22:16                 ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-28 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Suppose you have a file called program.php. You create a batch file
> that runs the texmfstart bin:vim ... line to create
> program-vimsyntax.tmp file. Then in your ConTeXt code, you can say,
>
> \typevimfile[convert=no][program.php]

Ah that's going to save me a bunch of time. Thank you.

> > Just as a side note, is there a way to fix it so that line numberings
> > are always on the left?
>
> \sesupvimtyping[numbering=on]

I've done that. I should've been more clear sorry. I've setup my pages
with the "alternative=doublesided" option. So for even numbered pages
I have numbering in the left margin like I want, however, for odd
pages it switches to the right side.

> By default, \tftt and \tt fonts are used for code listing. The easiest
> way to change to a different font is to use it as your
> default teletype font. If that is not possible, then you will need to
> define a new colorscheme, along the lines of the default colorscheme,
> but changing \v!mono with whatever font you want.

Umm what's a teletype font for starters?

--

@ 2007-04-29  1:57                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-29  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 28/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> Suppose you have a file called program.php. You create a batch file
>> that runs the texmfstart bin:vim ... line to create
>> program-vimsyntax.tmp file. Then in your ConTeXt code, you can say,
>>
>> \typevimfile[convert=no][program.php]
>
> Ah that's going to save me a bunch of time. Thank you.

I will need two three days to work on this.

>>> Just as a side note, is there a way to fix it so that line numberings
>>> are always on the left?
>>
>> \sesupvimtyping[numbering=on]
>
> I've done that. I should've been more clear sorry. I've setup my pages
> with the "alternative=doublesided" option. So for even numbered pages
> I have numbering in the left margin like I want, however, for odd
> pages it switches to the right side.

Right now, this is not possible. Let me see if I can add this feature.

>> By default, \tftt and \tt fonts are used for code listing. The easiest
>> way to change to a different font is to use it as your
>> default teletype font. If that is not possible, then you will need to
>> define a new colorscheme, along the lines of the default colorscheme,
>> but changing \v!mono with whatever font you want.
>
> Umm what's a teletype font for starters?

A fixed width font is also called a teletype font. By default, the
code listing should be in a fixed width font, so I thought that you
were talking about how to use a different fixed width font.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 11:38                     ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> I will need two three days to work on this.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought that function was already
implemented. Don't feel you have to rush to get this implemented :) I
can bear with the slow ness.

> Right now, this is not possible. Let me see if I can add this feature.

That would be very useful. Thank you.

> A fixed width font is also called a teletype font. By default, the
> code listing should be in a fixed width font, so I thought that you
> were talking about how to use a different fixed width font.

Ah I set up my body font like so:

\definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
\switchtotypeface [palatino] [12pt,rm]

Though when it comes to listing code it doesn't automatically switch
to a teletype font and it sticks with the body font, however, when I
comment out of those two lines it does use a fixed width font. I'm
guessing here but does that mean there is no teletype font in
Palatino?

I not trying to put on demands on you here but the changes you say
will only be useful to me if I get them before tonight. I need to hand
in the project tomorrow. So I don't want you to spend time on
implementing features that won't be appreciated by me (but I'm sure
others will find it useful! I will as well in the future too).
Basically, all I'm saying here is that you don't have to rush these
features on my behalf.

I hope that didn't come off as being rude because it certainly wasn't
meant to be.

I'll gladly test anything in the future too. If you need any help I'd
gladly return the favour :)

--

@ 2007-04-29 13:12                       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-04-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:38:16 +0100
"Chris Rawnsley" <rawprawns@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> > I will need two three days to work on this.
>
> Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought that function was already
> implemented. Don't feel you have to rush to get this implemented :) I
> can bear with the slow ness.
>
> > Right now, this is not possible. Let me see if I can add this feature.
>
> That would be very useful. Thank you.
>
> > A fixed width font is also called a teletype font. By default, the
> > code listing should be in a fixed width font, so I thought that you
> > were talking about how to use a different fixed width font.
>
> Ah I set up my body font like so:
>
> \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
> \switchtotypeface [palatino] [12pt,rm]

Hi Chris,

replace this two lines with

\usetypescript[palatino][texnansi] % use better texnansi than ec
\setupbodyfont[palatino]           % rm and 12pt are default values

Wolfgang

@ 2007-04-29 14:53                       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> I will need two three days to work on this.
>
> Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought that function was already
> implemented. Don't feel you have to rush to get this implemented :) I
> can bear with the slow ness.

The nuts and pieces are there, but right now there is no such
function. Here is what you can do. Write a batch script which calls
2context (see the complete command in \runvimsyntax in t-vim). Run it
on the file that you want. After loading t-vim, add the following line

\let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument

For making the line numbers always appear on the left, add this code
after loading t-vim.

\unprotect

\def\showvimlinenumber
   {\inleft%was \inmargin%TODO: make configurable
       {\dostartattributes\??vs\c!numberstyle\c!numbercolor\empty
        \countervalue{vimlinenumber}
        \dostopattributes}}

\protect

>> Right now, this is not possible. Let me see if I can add this feature.
>
> That would be very useful. Thank you.
>
>> A fixed width font is also called a teletype font. By default, the
>> code listing should be in a fixed width font, so I thought that you
>> were talking about how to use a different fixed width font.
>
> Ah I set up my body font like so:
>
> \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
> \switchtotypeface [palatino] [12pt,rm]
>
> Though when it comes to listing code it doesn't automatically switch
> to a teletype font and it sticks with the body font, however, when I
> comment out of those two lines it does use a fixed width font. I'm
> guessing here but does that mean there is no teletype font in
> Palatino?

Strange, I thought that with your font setup ConTeXt should fall back
to latin modern mono. Anyway, Wolfgang's suggestion should work and
will give you latin modern mono scaled properly to match Palatino's
height.

> I not trying to put on demands on you here but the changes you say
> will only be useful to me if I get them before tonight. I need to hand
> in the project tomorrow. So I don't want you to spend time on
> implementing features that won't be appreciated by me (but I'm sure
> others will find it useful! I will as well in the future too).
> Basically, all I'm saying here is that you don't have to rush these
> features on my behalf.
>
> I hope that didn't come off as being rude because it certainly wasn't
> meant to be.

Don't worry. I made this module to just have the features that I
needed. As a result, there are lot of things that are missing from the
module. Your effort to make the module work has been a good feedback
to me.

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 15:48                         ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/07, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> replace this two lines with
>
> \usetypescript[palatino][texnansi] % use better texnansi than ec
> \setupbodyfont[palatino]           % rm and 12pt are default values
Yes that did the trick. Thanks!

--

@ 2007-04-29 15:56                         ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> The nuts and pieces are there, but right now there is no such
> function. Here is what you can do. Write a batch script which calls
> 2context (see the complete command in \runvimsyntax in t-vim). Run it
> on the file that you want. After loading t-vim, add the following line
>
> \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument

I can't get it to work. I've added that line and then I've used the
syntax you posted previously:

\typevimfile[convert=no][copy.tmp]

Returns the error:

File does not exist. (Or more precisely:
[file [ does not exist]
Copy.tmp] )

> For making the line numbers always appear on the left, add this code
> after loading t-vim.
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\showvimlinenumber
>    {\inleft%was \inmargin%TODO: make configurable
>        {\dostartattributes\??vs\c!numberstyle\c!numbercolor\empty
>         \countervalue{vimlinenumber}
>         \dostopattributes}}
>
> \protect

That works a charm. Thanks you for doing this so quick!

> Strange, I thought that with your font setup ConTeXt should fall back
> to latin modern mono. Anyway, Wolfgang's suggestion should work and
> will give you latin modern mono scaled properly to match Palatino's
> height.

Yep. It's sorted itself out now.

> Don't worry. I made this module to just have the features that I
> needed. As a result, there are lot of things that are missing from the
> module. Your effort to make the module work has been a good feedback
> to me.

Ah that's good. Well I'll try and give as much as you can bear! :)

--

@ 2007-04-29 16:07                           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> The nuts and pieces are there, but right now there is no such
>> function. Here is what you can do. Write a batch script which calls
>> 2context (see the complete command in \runvimsyntax in t-vim). Run it
>> on the file that you want. After loading t-vim, add the following line
>>
>> \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument
>
> I can't get it to work. I've added that line and then I've used the
> syntax you posted previously:
>
> \typevimfile[convert=no][copy.tmp]

Sorry, that syntax was incorrect and was for a future feature that I
was thinking of. If is not implemented yet.

The following should work right now. Suppose your file is called
copy.php, run it through the batchfile (that you will need to create).
You should get a file called copy.php-vimsyntax.tmp

Now after loading vim, add
\definevimtyping [typePHP]
 		 [syntax=php,
                   before={\bgroup \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument},
                   after={\egroup}]

and then use

\typePHP{copy.php}

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 18:09                             ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Now after loading vim, add
> \definevimtyping [typePHP]
>                  [syntax=php,
>                    before={\bgroup \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument},
>                    after={\egroup}]
>
> and then use
>
> \typePHP{copy.php}

I can't get it to work. Firstly, when I use \definevimtyping and then
\typePHP the system cannot find the definition for \typePHP. If I use
\definetypevimfile instead of \definevimtyping it works. Unfortuantely
this doesn't actually save time as it loads ViM for whatever is
required.

Now for some general feedback.

At the moment, if a line wraps, the line number doesn't feature in the
margin. I think the placement should be different, however. It
currently looks something like:

11    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/html.php'); // HTML output
12    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/auth.php'); // Authorise user
      require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/action.php'); // List of possi-
13    ble actions
14 require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/calendar.php');

As you can see line 13 has wrapped but I would prefer it if the line
number was on the line above. So like this:

11    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/html.php'); // HTML output
12    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/auth.php'); // Authorise user
13    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/action.php'); // List of possi-
      ble actions
14 require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/calendar.php');

Also not all my lines are wrapping properly. For instance, a line like:

if(!defined('BASE_DIR'))
define('BASE_DIR',realpath(dirname(__FILE__).'/../').'/');

Other than that, I'm loving the output.

--

@ 2007-04-29 18:43                               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-29 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> Now after loading vim, add
>> \definevimtyping [typePHP]
>>                  [syntax=php,
>>                    before={\bgroup \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument},
>>                    after={\egroup}]
>>
>> and then use
>>
>> \typePHP{copy.php}
>
> I can't get it to work. Firstly, when I use \definevimtyping and then
> \typePHP the system cannot find the definition for \typePHP. If I use
> \definetypevimfile instead of \definevimtyping it works. Unfortuantely
> this doesn't actually save time as it loads ViM for whatever is
> required.

Well, then I need to make some more changes in the module. Since, you
are up against a deadline right now, and are willing to suffer the
delay caused by this module, I will trying hacks to make this work.
Hopefully, the next release of vim module will have a robust solution.

> Now for some general feedback.
>
> At the moment, if a line wraps, the line number doesn't feature in the
> margin. I think the placement should be different, however. It
> currently looks something like:
>
> 11    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/html.php'); // HTML output
> 12    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/auth.php'); // Authorise user
>      require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/action.php'); // List of possi-
> 13    ble actions
> 14 require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/calendar.php');
>
> As you can see line 13 has wrapped but I would prefer it if the line
> number was on the line above. So like this:
>
> 11    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/html.php'); // HTML output
> 12    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/auth.php'); // Authorise user
> 13    require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/action.php'); // List of possi-
>      ble actions
> 14 require_once(BASE_DIR.'inc/calendar.php');

I know this, but I do not know how to correct it. For my input, I just
indented the source file so that every line was 75 characters long. It
is easier to do that on the source file, then to write code in TeX to
to do that sensibly.

> Also not all my lines are wrapping properly. For instance, a line like:
>
> if(!defined('BASE_DIR'))
> define('BASE_DIR',realpath(dirname(__FILE__).'/../').'/');

Basically, TeX does not know where to break the line. As I said above,
the easier way is to do the line breaking in your source by hand.

> Other than that, I'm loving the output.

Great!

Aditya

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 18:48                                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>>> Now after loading vim, add
>>> \definevimtyping [typePHP]
>>>                  [syntax=php,
>>>                    before={\bgroup \let\runvimsyntax\gobbleoneargument},
>>>                    after={\egroup}]
>>>
>>> and then use
>>>
>>> \typePHP{copy.php}
>>
>> I can't get it to work. Firstly, when I use \definevimtyping and then
>> \typePHP the system cannot find the definition for \typePHP. If I use
>> \definetypevimfile instead of \definevimtyping it works. Unfortuantely
>> this doesn't actually save time as it loads ViM for whatever is
>> required.
>
> Well, then I need to make some more changes in the module. Since, you
> are up against a deadline right now, and are willing to suffer the
> delay caused by this module, I will trying hacks to make this work.

Eh.. I meant, "I will _stop_ trying hacks to make this work."

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 18:57                               ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can also see a need for relative paths for inputted files. In my
setup, I like to compile individual components of my document. When I
need to look at whole document I'll do that at the end. For instance,
for inputting images, I put this line at the top of the component:

\setupexternalfigures[directory={Analysis/Figures,Figures}]

Then if I compile it from within the Analysis directory it can't find
the first path in the argument (Analysis/Figures) so it uses the
second (Figures). I'm sure you understand how the command works. Is
there a way to accomplish this in your module?

* Re: Syntax highlighted output
@ 2007-04-29 19:38                                   ` Chris Rawnsley
From: Chris Rawnsley @ 2007-04-29 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> > Well, then I need to make some more changes in the module. Since, you
> > are up against a deadline right now, and are willing to suffer the
> > delay caused by this module, I will trying hacks to make this work.
>
> Eh.. I meant, "I will _stop_ trying hacks to make this work."

That's cool. I think it works *more* than adaquetly as it stands now.

> Hopefully, the next release of vim module will have a robust solution.

Maybe if you ripped out the syntax highlighting part of ViM you could
make a program with faster start up and execution. Alternatively, you
could use something like Scintilla ( http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/
). If you could add some mechinisms for recognising cached files.
There are always *-vimsyntax.tmp these files created. Maybe on first
runs of TeXexec these should always be created and overwrite ones left
over. Then when TeXexec repeats itself however many times it does, it
just reads from those *-vimsyntax.tmp files. I'm sure you already have
some ideas of your own though ;)

It's been fun!

A *huge* thanks to you!

--

@ 2007-04-30  4:30                                     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-30  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Chris Rawnsley wrote:

> On 29/04/07, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> Well, then I need to make some more changes in the module. Since, you
>>> are up against a deadline right now, and are willing to suffer the
>>> delay caused by this module, I will trying hacks to make this work.
>>
>> Eh.. I meant, "I will _stop_ trying hacks to make this work."
>
> That's cool. I think it works *more* than adaquetly as it stands now.
>
>> Hopefully, the next release of vim module will have a robust solution.
>
> Maybe if you ripped out the syntax highlighting part of ViM you could
> make a program with faster start up and execution.

This is way beyond my technical skills.

> Alternatively, you could use something like Scintilla (
> http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/ ).

I used vim since that is the only editor that I use and know well. In
principle, any editor component can be used. If you know how to get
Scintilla to generated a parsed output of its syntax highlighting, it
is easy to use scintilla instead of vim. The trouble is, I do not know
much about scintilla.

> If you could add some mechinisms for recognising cached files.
> There are always *-vimsyntax.tmp these files created. Maybe on first
> runs of TeXexec these should always be created and overwrite ones left
> over. Then when TeXexec repeats itself however many times it does, it
> just reads from those *-vimsyntax.tmp files. I'm sure you already have
> some ideas of your own though ;)

There was a bad design decision in the module, which kind of makes
this difficult. When I look at the whole thing again, I will try to do
it in a way so that the files are not parsed on every run. There is
also the option of using texmfstart --ifchanged, so that vim is called
only if the file has changed. The main delay is in starting up and
stopping vim. So, another option will be to convert all the files in a
single shot at the end of a run, and then include them later. Last
time I could not get these to work. But now that someone else is also
using the module, I will give it a shot again.

Aditya