* texexec message suppression.
@ 2007-05-14 21:22 John R. Culleton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-05-14 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

for some time now I have been fussing over the volume of uneccessary
(to me) informational messages spewed forth by texexec, in particular
the long list of font scripts repeated sometimes 8 or 9 times. Since
I don't even use most of these scripts I wonder why they show up on
every pass of every compile.  The --silent parameter to texexec
should suppress some or all of these message, or so the manual says.
But it doesn't.  I get the same long list of messages, repeated over
and over.

Ideally I could suppress informational messages but keep the warning
messages, per the traditional unix > and 2> output routings  for
sysout and syserr.  But texexec does not appear to make the
distinction.

Routing all output to /dev/null is a trick that I use sometimes, but
if the run errors off then it just hangs with no message.

Are there any clever workarounds I have missed? Is there a setting
somewhere in my texlive instllation that I can tweak? Should I do
surgery on texexec itself? (Never fooled with Ruby, but there is
always a first time.)
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: texexec message suppression.
@ 2007-05-14 22:29 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-05-14 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

My 2 cents

> Ideally I could suppress informational messages but keep the warning
> messages, per the traditional unix > and 2> output routings  for
> sysout and syserr.  But texexec does not appear to make the
> distinction.

$>texexec --pdf --batch  mytest.tex  &>/dev/null

Routing all output to /dev/null is a trick that I use sometimes, but
> if the run errors off then it just hangs with no message.

for errors
$>egrep  '^\!'  mytest.log

and for figures
$> egrep 'figure.*can not be found' mytest.log

--
luigi

* Re: texexec message suppression.
@ 2007-05-14 23:11 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-05-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> (to me) informational messages spewed forth by texexec, in particular
> the long list of font scripts repeated sometimes 8 or 9 times.

Did you try \preloadtypescripts?

See
<http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060622.163313.d4c08e11.en.html>

Patrick

--
scnr

* Re: texexec message suppression.
@ 2007-05-15 13:47   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-05-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Patrick Gundlach

On Monday 14 May 2007 19:11, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> > (to me) informational messages spewed forth by texexec, in
> > particular the long list of font scripts repeated sometimes 8 or
> > 9 times.
>
> Did you try \preloadtypescripts?
>
> See
> <http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060622.163313.d4c08e11.
>en.html>
>
> Patrick

If I put it after other font statements it has no effect, If I put it
first ahead of the font statements the run has missing font errors.
Possibly  I am using a defective typescript file.

Here is the error message:
! Font \*MyCharter7ptrmslrm*:=8r-bchr8a-slanted-167 at 7.0pt not
loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
And here is the typescript file:
% Charter (Bitstream)
\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [charter] [8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-Roman]      [bchr8r]  [encoding=8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-Italic]     [bchri8r] [encoding=8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-Bold]       [bchb8r]  [encoding=8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-BoldItalic] [bchbi8r] [encoding=8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-Slanted]    [bchro8r]  [encoding=8r]
  \definefontsynonym [Charter-BoldSlanted][bchbo8r]  [encoding=8r]
%  \definefontsynonym [Charter-Roman-Caps] [bchr8r-capitalized-800]
[encoding=8r]
\stoptypescript
%
\starttypescript [serif] [charter] [name]
\usetypescript[serif][fallback]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]      [Charter-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic][Charter-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]   [Charter-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Charter-BoldItalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted] [Charter-Slanted]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted][Charter-BoldSlanted]
%  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps] [Charter-Roman-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Charter]
\definetypeface [MyCharter] [rm] [serif] [charter] [default]
[encoding=8r]
\stoptypescript

But this error does not occur if I don't use the \preloadtypescripts
command.

Any hints?

John C.

* Re: texexec message suppression.
@ 2007-05-15 19:34 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-05-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 May 2007, John R. Culleton wrote:

> Routing all output to /dev/null is a trick that I use sometimes, but
> if the run errors off then it just hangs with no message.

Hello John,

you could check the exit code of texexec to decide whether to look into its
output or not. In a post-commit hook for svn for example, I use something
like this:
F=`mktemp`
if ! texexec -nonstopmode ... &>$F; then
   mailx -s "texexec failure" $user <$F
fi
rm -f $F

For me, the problem is another one: you get often no warning or error
messages at all from ConTeXt, for example for missing fonts, misspelled
key-value options etc.
So, after a negative "grep -i -e warn -e error texexec-output" you can't be
sure, that there aren't still some problems in your file.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/