* partial hz ?
@ 2007-06-10 22:23 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-06-10 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

hz justification brings better results, sometimes (most paragraphs don't change), but the entire typesetting is generally slow down with hz almost by factor 2.
Thus I'd like to have a a kind of "partial hz" that I can use on selected paragraphs only.

I hoped it should work like this:

\startfonthandling [stpure]
  \defineprotrudefactor endash 0 0.25
  \defineprotrudefactor hyphen 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor / 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor , 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor . 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor : 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor ; 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor - 0 0.5
  \defineprotrudefactor quotedblleft 0 0.25
\stopfonthandling
\definefonthandling [stpure]              [stpure]                       [type=hanging]
definefonthandling [sthighquality]     [hz,stpure]
\setupfonthandling [hz] [min=20,max=20,step=5]
\setupfontsynonym [Serif] [handling=sthighquality]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifBold] [handling=sthighquality]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifSlanted] [handling=sthighquality]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifItalic] [handling=sthighquality]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [handling=sthighquality]
\setupfontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [handling=sthighquality]

\usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt]

\setupalign[block,hanging]

... and chosen paragraphs I'd wrap with a ...

\setupalign[block,hanging,hz]

But this doesn't make any improvement in speed.
The only relevant change seems to be
definefonthandling [sthighquality]     [hz,stpure]
 When this is changed to
definefonthandling [sthighquality]     [stpure]
then typesetting speeds up, of course.

But this gives me no choice between main text without and selected paragraphs with hz...

Any ideas?

Steffen

* Re: partial hz ?
@ 2007-06-10 23:31 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-06-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> hz justification brings better results, sometimes (most paragraphs
> don't change), but the entire typesetting is generally slow down
> with hz almost by factor 2. Thus I'd like to have a a kind of
> "partial hz" that I can use on selected paragraphs only.

A factor of 2 is good :) For my document, hanging punctuation slows
down things a LOT (from 10 sec for three runs, to 60 secs for three
runs). What I usually do is to use no protrusion for test runs, and
add protrusion when I really have to make the final document. This can
be done easily using something like

\startmode[final]
   \usetypescript[serif][hanging][normal]
\stopmode

\usetypescript[mainface][texnansi]

\doifmode{final}{\setupalign   [hanging]}

Then add --mode=final flag to texexec when I want protrusion.

> I hoped it should work like this:

Sorry, no idea about this.

Aditya

* Re: partial hz ?
@ 2007-06-11  7:32   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-06-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:31:43 -0400 (EDT), Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> hz justification brings better results, sometimes (most paragraphs
>> don't change), but the entire typesetting is generally slow down
>> with hz almost by factor 2. Thus I'd like to have a a kind of
>> "partial hz" that I can use on selected paragraphs only.
>
> A factor of 2 is good :) For my document, hanging punctuation slows
> down things a LOT (from 10 sec for three runs, to 60 secs for three
> runs). What I usually do is to use no protrusion for test runs, and
> add protrusion when I really have to make the final document. This can
> be done easily using something like

hm ... hanging doesn't make much change for me: with 263 sec, without 238 sec.
no, here it is hz. it doubles speed (resp. slowness): 416 sec

Steffen