* setting up quotations
@ 2007-08-22 21:38 frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2007-08-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi there,

i have just finished reading the archives from the times
when there was no \setupquotation only \setupquote

i am glad that now a \setupquotation exists, but my problem
seems to be that \setupquotation affects all quotations...
consider the following example:

\setupquotation         [style=italic]

\quote{I am \quotation{not} here,} he said, then he went on singing

\startquotation
Maybe I just want to fly\crlf
I want to live I don't want to die\crlf
Maybe I just want to breath\crlf
Maybe I just don't believe\crlf
Maybe you're the same as me\crlf
We see things they'll never see\crlf
You and I are gonna live forever\crlf
\stopquotation

all 3 quotations are in italics.  i think this is incorrect...
all 3 quoting styles have their place and function.

\startquotation should have some \blank before and after, different
margins, etc.  that's what i want to set up with \setupquotation
a lot of publisher make even typeset these in smaller fonts.

how can i make this happen?  this is really important for typesetting
books, it is not?

-f
--
if you do nothing, how do you know when you're finished?

* Re: setting up quotations
@ 2007-08-22 22:01 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-22 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi f,

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:38:03 -0600, frantisek holop <minusf@obiit.org>
wrote:

> all 3 quotations are in italics.  i think this is incorrect...
> all 3 quoting styles have their place and function.
>
> \startquotation should have some \blank before and after, different
> margins, etc.  that's what i want to set up with \setupquotation
> a lot of publisher make even typeset these in smaller fonts.
>
> how can i make this happen?  this is really important for typesetting
> books, it is not?

Just roll your own! Here is what i use:

\definestartstop
   [quote]
   [before={\startnarrower[1*middle]\blank[big]},
     after={\stopnarrower\blank[big]}]

This gives you the commands

\startquote-\stopquote

Just edit the definition to get the effect you want. And/or make new ones!

Note that ConTeXt by default is rather bland. The defaults are not
intended as some typographic ideal, in contrast to LaTeX.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: setting up quotations
@ 2007-08-22 22:12   ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2007-08-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 04:01:12PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid said that
> Note that ConTeXt by default is rather bland. The defaults are not
> intended as some typographic ideal, in contrast to LaTeX.

thanks.  i realize that flexibility is a plus here, on the other hand
creating macros even for the most basic functionality becomes
counterproductive at some point.

there are great basic building blocks in context.
some of them are just not as consistent as the others :)

i think consistency and 'logic' helps making the learning curve
softer and work easier and faster.

for example:

\quote          -> \setupquote
\quotation      -> \setupquotation
\startquotation -> \setupquotationenvironment :)

or some such.

the problem is, that the manuals are not really verbose
and help create wrong assumptions because at some places
context is wonderfully 'logical' and consistent.

-f
--
prayers are always answered.  the answer is usually no.