* missing *8t.tfm files
@ 2007-08-25 20:47 Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-08-25 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I've recently started reading about typefaces in ConTeXt, and trying out
the examples of `showfont.pdf', but stumbled upon errors for almost all
the fonts.

My installation uses teTeX-3.0 on FreeBSD:

keramida@kobe:/home/keramida$ pkg_info | fgrep -i tetex
dvipsk-tetex-5.95a_2 Convert a TeX DVI file to PostScript
teTeX-3.0_2         A meta port for teTeX suite
teTeX-base-3.0_11   Thomas Esser's distribution of TeX & friends (binaries)
teTeX-texmf-3.0_5   Thomas Esser's distribution of TeX & friends (texmf tree)
xdvik-tetex-22.84.10_1 DVI Previewer(kpathsearch) for X
keramida@kobe:/home/keramida$

When I try typesetting:

    \definetypeface [zapf] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]
    \switchtotypeface [zapf] [12pt,cg]

    \starttext
    Foo bar.
    \stoptext

All I get is an error like:

% (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex)kpathsea: Running mktextfm uzcmi8t
% mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uzcmi8t
% This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
%
% kpathsea: Running mktexmf uzcmi8t
% ! I can't find file `uzcmi8t'.
% <*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uzcmi8t
%
% Please type another input file name
% ! Emergency stop.

When I try using the Palatino font, as shown in `showfont.pdf':

    \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif]
      [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
    \switchtotypeface [palatino] [12pt,rm]

    \starttext
    Foo bar.
    \stoptext

I get very similar errors:

% (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex)kpathsea: Running mktextfm uplr8t
% mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t
% This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)
%
% kpathsea: Running mktexmf uplr8t
% ! I can't find file `uplr8t'.
% <*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uplr8t
%
% Please type another input file name
% ! Emergency stop.

Am I missing something, is there anything I can do to download these
files, or generate them in my teTeX installation?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Giorgos

* Re: missing *8t.tfm files
@ 2007-08-26 13:34 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-08-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2007-08-25 23:47, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> When I try typesetting:
>
>     \definetypeface [zapf] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]
>     \switchtotypeface [zapf] [12pt,cg]
>
>     \starttext
>     Foo bar.
>     \stoptext
>
> All I get is an error like:
>
> % (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex)kpathsea: Running mktextfm uzcmi8t
> % mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input uzcmi8t
> % This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

I think something is broken with my installation.  Even trying to use
the Postscript fonts breaks with 8-point font errors :-/

* Re: missing *8t.tfm files
@ 2007-08-26 14:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-26 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently started reading about typefaces in ConTeXt, and trying out
> the examples of `showfont.pdf', but stumbled upon errors for almost all
> the fonts.

don't use tetex, use tex live or take one of the more recent packages
(see wiki)

you've probably chosen an encoding that has no matching tfm files in the
distribition

(\setupencoding[default=ec] may help)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: missing *8t.tfm files
@ 2007-08-26 14:25   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-08-26 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-08-26 16:04, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've recently started reading about typefaces in ConTeXt, and trying out
>> the examples of `showfont.pdf', but stumbled upon errors for almost all
>> the fonts.
>
> don't use tetex, use tex live or take one of the more recent packages
> (see wiki)

Unfortunately, teTeX is the `standard' TeX distribution on FreeBSD.
I'll try TeX live, though.  Thanks :)

> you've probably chosen an encoding that has no matching tfm files in
> the distribition
>
> (\setupencoding[default=ec] may help)

Thanks for the tip :-)

It seems teTeX is missing tfm files even for `ec', since trying to
typeset a PDF version of the following:

  \setuppapersize[A4]

  % Define page margins, and enable them for this document.
  \definelayout[keramidaLayout]
    [backspace=60mm,cutspace=20mm,width=middle]
  \setuplayout[keramidaLayout]

  \setupencoding[default=ec]
  \definetypeface [postscript] [rm] [serif] [times]    [default]
  \definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans] [helvetica] [default]
  [rscale=.9]
  \definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono] [courier]   [default]
  [rscale=1.1]
  \switchtotypeface [postscript] [11pt]

  \starttext

  \subject{Foxes and dogs}
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.

  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
  \stoptext

Still results in missing font errors, like this:

  (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
  (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
  (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex)kpathsea:
  Running mktextfm utmr8t
  mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=canonex; mag:=1;
  nonstopmode; input utmr8t
  This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

  kpathsea: Running mktexmf utmr8t
  ! I can't find file `utmr8t'.
  <*> ...=canonex; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input utmr8t

  Please type another input file name
  ! Emergency stop.

Thanks for all the help.  I will try getting either TeX Live or one of
the newer packages :-)

- Giorgos

* Re: missing *8t.tfm files
@ 2007-08-26 20:13   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently started reading about typefaces in ConTeXt, and trying out
>> the examples of `showfont.pdf', but stumbled upon errors for almost all
>> the fonts.
>
> don't use tetex, use tex live or take one of the more recent packages
> (see wiki)
>
> you've probably chosen an encoding that has no matching tfm files in the
> distribition
>
> (\setupencoding[default=ec] may help)

You can also try adding either

\usetypescript[berry][ec]