* 14th century music ("Mensuralnotation")
@ 2007-10-23 10:35 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-10-23 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to typeset various symbols (as examples included in normal
text lines) from musical notation from the 14th century
("Mensuralnotation"). These symbols can be seen in

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

I just have absolutely no idea e.g. which font these symbols support ...

Could someone show me a way?

Thanks,

Steffen

* Re: 14th century music ("Mensuralnotation")
@ 2007-10-23 11:02 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-10-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to typeset various symbols (as examples included in normal
> text lines) from musical notation from the 14th century
> ("Mensuralnotation"). These symbols can be seen in
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf
>
> I just have absolutely no idea e.g. which font these symbols support ...
>

> Could someone show me a way?

Some fast googling found this:

http://icking-music-archive.org/software/musixtex/add-ons/readme-of.txt
http://icking-music-archive.org/software/musixtex/add-ons/old-feta.tar.gz

For just a few symbols using these fonts directly should do, but if
you want to typeset music you probably should be using lilypond.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: 14th century music ("Mensuralnotation")
@ 2007-10-23 12:58 ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2007-10-23 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to typeset various symbols (as examples included in normal
> text lines) from musical notation from the 14th century
> ("Mensuralnotation"). These symbols can be seen in
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf
>
> I just have absolutely no idea e.g. which font these symbols support ...

Hi Steffen,

You might want to have a look at this font:
http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/Eimai/191 (though I'm not sure
this font covers all the symbols you need.)

A good resource for finding fonts is:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html

HTH,

Jelle

* Re: 14th century music ("Mensuralnotation")
@ 2007-10-23 15:57   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-10-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jelle,

Am 23.10.2007 um 14:58 schrieb Jelle Huisman:
> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to typeset various symbols (as examples included in normal
>> text lines) from musical notation from the 14th century
>> ("Mensuralnotation"). These symbols can be seen in
>>
>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf
>>
>> I just have absolutely no idea e.g. which font these symbols
>> support ...
>
> Hi Steffen,
>
> You might want to have a look at this font:
> http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/Eimai/191 (though I'm not sure
> this font covers all the symbols you need.)
>
> A good resource for finding fonts is:
> http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html

Indeed: via this link (alanwood.net) I found http://users.teilar.gr/
~g1951d/ and there

http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Musical.pdf
(plus the corresponding font)

Unbelievable stuff! Byzantine notation!! I never dared to hope that
all this is available (and even non-commercial) with fonts ...

Thank you very much,

@ 2007-10-23 16:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-23 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi Jelle,
>

> Am 23.10.2007 um 14:58 schrieb Jelle Huisman:
>> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to typeset various symbols (as examples included in normal
>>> text lines) from musical notation from the 14th century
>>> ("Mensuralnotation"). These symbols can be seen in
>>>
>>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf
>>>
>>> I just have absolutely no idea e.g. which font these symbols
>>> support ...
>> Hi Steffen,
>>
>> You might want to have a look at this font:
>> http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/Eimai/191 (though I'm not sure
>> this font covers all the symbols you need.)
>>
>> A good resource for finding fonts is:
>> http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.html
>

> Indeed: via this link (alanwood.net) I found http://users.teilar.gr/
> ~g1951d/ and there
>
> http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Musical.pdf
> (plus the corresponding font)
>
> Unbelievable stuff! Byzantine notation!! I never dared to hope that
> all this is available (and even non-commercial) with fonts ...

indeed

how about adding such top level links to the wiki (some font resource page)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-10-23 16:14     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-10-23 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Unbelievable stuff! Byzantine notation!! I never dared to hope that
> all this is available (and even non-commercial) with fonts ...

  It's part of Unicode, that's why.  If I remember correctly there was a
talk at TUG'04 (in Greece!) about that (but I doubt the devised macro
package was Unicode-compliant).

	Arthur

* Re: 14th century music ("Mensuralnotation")
@ 2007-10-24 14:01       ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2007-10-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)