* Semi-transparent banners for a cover.
@ 2007-10-27 21:51 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-27 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

A project specifies that for the cover of a brochure there be a photograph as
the background (doable in Context), and semi-transparent rectangles across
the page highlighting the various strings of text. The rectangles darken but
do not completely block out the underlying illustration.   It is a layer
cake, a photo, with semi-transparent rectangles laid across it, and type
within the rectangles.

This is a job more easily done in Gimp etc. but my question is, can it be done
in Context at all?  How do I create the semi-transparent elements?

--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?

* Re: Semi-transparent banners for a cover.
@ 2007-10-28 11:32 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-10-28 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

John Culleton schrieb:
> A project specifies that for the cover of a brochure there be a photograph as
> the background (doable in Context), and semi-transparent rectangles across
> the page highlighting the various strings of text. The rectangles darken but
> do not completely block out the underlying illustration.   It is a layer
> cake, a photo, with semi-transparent rectangles laid across it, and type
> within the rectangles.
>
> This is a job more easily done in Gimp etc. but my question is, can it be done
> in Context at all?  How do I create the semi-transparent elements?

something like

\startuniqueMPgraphic{transp:dim}
  fill OverlayBox withcolor transparent(1,.25,white); % mode,transp.,color
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[transp:dim]
  [\uniqueMPgraphic{transp:dim}]

\framed[background=transp:dim]{your text}

There are some problems with transparency in MP at the moment, so the
fill color is fixed and not a parameter of the MP graphic. Anyhow, this
should do the job.

Peter

* Re: Semi-transparent banners for a cover.
@ 2007-10-28 13:02 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-10-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:51:14 -0400
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> A project specifies that for the cover of a brochure there be a photograph as
> the background (doable in Context), and semi-transparent rectangles across
> the page highlighting the various strings of text. The rectangles darken but
> do not completely block out the underlying illustration.   It is a layer
> cake, a photo, with semi-transparent rectangles laid across it, and type
> within the rectangles.
>
> This is a job more easily done in Gimp etc. but my question is, can it be done
> in Context at all?  How do I create the semi-transparent elements?

Hi John,

you can define a color for the transparent background of the text and
place it with the cover text at the background.

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupexternalfigures[location=global]

\definecolor[coverred][r=1,a=1,t=.5]

\defineoverlay[coverimage][\overlayfigure{mill}]

\definelayer
  [covertitle]
  [width=\paperwidth,
   height=\paperheight]

\setlayerframed
  [covertitle]
  [hoffset=0cm,
   voffset=8cm]
  [frame=off,
   width=\paperwidth,
   height=6cm,
   background=color,
   backgroundcolor=coverred,
   align={middle,lohi}]
  {\tfd Cover Text}

\starttext

\setupbackgrounds[page][background={coverimage,covertitle}]

\startstandardmakeup
\stopstandardmakeup

\stoptext

Wolfgang