* Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-10-30 18:06 Matija Šuklje
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2007-10-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo,

I've just learnt enough LaTeX to start writing when Mojca convinced me to try
out ConTeXt. So far, I think I like it, but have a few beginner's problems
with it.

The first one being, which editor to use? So far I've been using Kile for
LaTeX and KBib for BibTeX, but Kile doesn't support (yet) ConTeXt syntax,
which is a bit different from the LaTeX one.

Could anyone suggest a good ConTeXt-aware editor for Linux?

Ideally, I would like to see Kile (and Kate) support ConTeXt, but untill I
manage to bug  their devs into it, I would still need an editor.

regards,

Matija Šuklje

p.s. this is my first post here, I hope I'm not going against any localy
established netiquette
p.p.s. Mojca bugged me to join it ;)

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje@rutka.net

aim: hookofsilver
icq: 110183360
jabber/g-talk: matija.suklje@gabbler.org
msn: matija.suklje@rutka.net
yahoo: matija_suklje

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-10-30 18:49   ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2007-10-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne torek 30. oktobra 2007 je Henning Hraban Ramm napisal(a):
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_editor
> It's a bit outdated, but should give you a start.

I've already looked at it, and it *does* look outdated. Plus it's very hard to
search for ConTeXt editors on the net because of the name and also because
there is a text editor called ConTEXT.

> Greetlings from Lake Constance!

Uuuu, I've been to Konstanz and St.Gallen half a year ago. Nice. :]

cheers,
Matija

--

@ 2007-10-30 18:56 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-10-30 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-10-30 um 19:06 schrieb Matija Šuklje:
> Could anyone suggest a good ConTeXt-aware editor for Linux?

Did you have a look at this:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_editor
It's a bit outdated, but should give you a start.
AFAIK Scite is Hans' favourite, so maybe its ConTeXt mode is the best.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-10-30 19:09 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-10-30 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're using Kate then I guess u're on Linux, in which case you should
try the Scite distro that comes with the larger ConTeXt distributions.
Scite is also available on Windows.

But on Windows I use Notepad++ (NPP), which I have configured for ConTeXt,
and which is soooo much more sophisticated than Scite. I posted a note to
this list with details a few months back; see the archives.

BTW, I am updating the NPP package soon, and will post to the list when
it's ready.

As for etiquette, we're mostly a relaxed, mutually helpful, easy going
bunch so relax ;-)

Best wishes
Idris

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:06:10 -0600, Matija Šuklje
<matija.suklje@rutka.net> wrote:

> I've just learnt enough LaTeX to start writing when Mojca convinced me
> to try
> out ConTeXt. So far, I think I like it, but have a few beginner's
> problems
> with it.
>
> The first one being, which editor to use? So far I've been using Kile for
> LaTeX and KBib for BibTeX, but Kile doesn't support (yet) ConTeXt syntax,
> which is a bit different from the LaTeX one.
>
> Could anyone suggest a good ConTeXt-aware editor for Linux?
>
> Ideally, I would like to see Kile (and Kate) support ConTeXt, but untill
> manage to bug  their devs into it, I would still need an editor.

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-10-30 19:14 ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2007-10-30 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hello:

I´m using emacs + auctex.

Suerte.

--------------------
Horacio Suarez
Editorial Antropofagia
www.eantropofagia.com.ar

>From: Matija Å uklje <matija.suklje@rutka.net>
>Subject: [NTG-context] Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
>Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:06:10 +0100
>
>Hullo,
>
>I've just learnt enough LaTeX to start writing when Mojca convinced me to
>try
>out ConTeXt. So far, I think I like it, but have a few beginner's problems
>with it.
>
>The first one being, which editor to use? So far I've been using Kile for
>LaTeX and KBib for BibTeX, but Kile doesn't support (yet) ConTeXt syntax,
>which is a bit different from the LaTeX one.
>
>Could anyone suggest a good ConTeXt-aware editor for Linux?
>
>Ideally, I would like to see Kile (and Kate) support ConTeXt, but untill I
>manage to bug  their devs into it, I would still need an editor.
>

>regards,
>
>Matija Å uklje
>
>p.s. this is my first post here, I hope I'm not going against any localy
>established netiquette
>p.p.s. Mojca bugged me to join it ;)
>
>--
>gsm: +386 41 849 552
>e-mail: matija.suklje@rutka.net
>www: http://matija.suklje.name
>
>aim: hookofsilver
>icq: 110183360
>jabber/g-talk: matija.suklje@gabbler.org
>msn: matija.suklje@rutka.net
>yahoo: matija_suklje

><< signature.asc >>

http://search.msn.com/

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-10-30 20:02   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 02:56:32 pm Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2007-10-30 um 19:06 schrieb Matija Šuklje:
> > Could anyone suggest a good ConTeXt-aware editor for Linux?
>
> Did you have a look at this:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_editor
> It's a bit outdated, but should give you a start.
> AFAIK Scite is Hans' favourite, so maybe its ConTeXt mode is the best.
>
> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

I like Gvim. In the .gvimrc file I have assigned the f2 key to readjusting the
source text ragged right for readability,  f3 to running pdfttex on a file
named book.tex, f4 to running texexec on a file named book.tex and f5 to
displaying book.pdf via kpdf.  Syntax highlighting is turned on of course.

Each book gets its own directory and the main file is always named book.tex.
I can be working on a samll piece of the book but f3 or f4 will always give
me a recompile of the whole book. Kpdf automatically updates witout losing
its place.  Acrobat  Reader won't do that.

In other words I have WYSIWYG more or less when I need it. I find this to be
an efficient setup.

--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-11-02  9:46   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2007-11-02  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:14:54PM +0000, Horacio Suarez wrote:
> hello:
>
> I?m using emacs + auctex.
>
> Suerte.
>
> --------------------
> Horacio Suarez
> Editorial Antropofagia
> www.eantropofagia.com.ar

Me, too. Never needed anything else than emacs + auctex + texshow. A
pity nobody tries to improve anything regarding ConTeXt in Emacs
(for instance you cannot lookup a command in texshow and have it
included in your text with one key combination) but
still I think it's quite useful.

All Best

Piotr

--

  Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
  Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?
@ 2007-11-02 22:04     ` Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2007-11-02 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> I?m using emacs + auctex.
>>
>> Suerte.
>>

> Me, too. Never needed anything else than emacs + auctex + texshow.
> (...)
 >
> Piotr

Also think auctex is nice. What is texshow? What does it do, and
where can I find it?

Thanks,
Maurício

* Re: Which ConTeXt editor do you use?