* Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-02 12:12 richard.stephens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: richard.stephens @ 2007-11-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have downloaded the latest Notepad++ and ConTeXt settings as suggested
by Professor Hamid and I'm enjoying the experience of using them!

However, I do not really like the colour scheme and tried to alter the
background colours by editing "Application
Data/Notepad++/UserDefineLang.xml", shutting down Notepad++ and starting
up again (via Npp.bat), but no change.  I also tried editing the "tex"
entry in "Application Data/Notepad++/stylers.xml", but no joy.
I tried going to menu item Settings - Style Configurator, but Context
isn't in the list of languages.

How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?

Richard Stephens

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-02 13:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

richard.stephens@converteam.com wrote:

> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?

does np++ has readable config files?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-02 13:54 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-11-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:12:31 -0600, <richard.stephens@converteam.com>
wrote:

> I have downloaded the latest Notepad++ and ConTeXt settings as suggested
> by Professor Hamid and I'm enjoying the experience of using them!
>
> However, I do not really like the colour scheme and tried to alter the
> background colours by editing "Application
> Data/Notepad++/UserDefineLang.xml", shutting down Notepad++ and starting
> up again (via Npp.bat), but no change.  I also tried editing the "tex"
> entry in "Application Data/Notepad++/stylers.xml", but no joy.
> I tried going to menu item Settings - Style Configurator, but Context
> isn't in the list of languages.
>
> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?

Use the User Define Language dialog (the button to the left of the red-dot
button)

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/UserLanguageDefineSystem-HOWTO.php

Choose ConTeXt and adjust anything you like (including color)!

Also, in Settings - Style Configurator, configure Global Styles.
There is also a Global Override option.

So there is a global color scheme and a language-specific one.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-02 18:34 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-11-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 02 November 2007 08:12:31 am richard.stephens@converteam.com wrote:
> I have downloaded the latest Notepad++ and ConTeXt settings as suggested
> by Professor Hamid and I'm enjoying the experience of using them!
>
> However, I do not really like the colour scheme and tried to alter the
> background colours by editing "Application
> Data/Notepad++/UserDefineLang.xml", shutting down Notepad++ and starting
> up again (via Npp.bat), but no change.  I also tried editing the "tex"
> entry in "Application Data/Notepad++/stylers.xml", but no joy.
> I tried going to menu item Settings - Style Configurator, but Context
> isn't in the list of languages.
>
> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?
>
> Richard Stephens

You might have more luck with Vim/Gvim which has an open-ended syntax
highlighting scheme with almost 500 files named e.g., cobol.vim in the
subdirectory syntax. It will do automatic sensing by suffix but you can
manually select one too.  It even has one for Context.

 You can modify the syntax files if you like or create new ones but either
task looks like an all-day project to me.

--
John Culleton

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-02 19:27   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-11-02 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:44:14 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> richard.stephens@converteam.com wrote:
>
>> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?
>
> does np++ has readable config files?

Npp uses xml files for configuration mostly. Most of the *.xml and all of
the *.api files (autocompletion) are quite readable, though stylers.xml is
pretty ugly. OTOH stylers.xml is easily configured through the gui, and
much more fun.

@ 2007-11-03  5:54   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-11-03  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, John Culleton wrote:

> On Friday 02 November 2007 08:12:31 am richard.stephens@converteam.com wrote:
>> I have downloaded the latest Notepad++ and ConTeXt settings as suggested
>> by Professor Hamid and I'm enjoying the experience of using them!
>>
>> However, I do not really like the colour scheme and tried to alter the
>> background colours by editing "Application
>> Data/Notepad++/UserDefineLang.xml", shutting down Notepad++ and starting
>> up again (via Npp.bat), but no change.  I also tried editing the "tex"
>> entry in "Application Data/Notepad++/stylers.xml", but no joy.
>> I tried going to menu item Settings - Style Configurator, but Context
>> isn't in the list of languages.
>>
>> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?
>>
>> Richard Stephens
>
> You might have more luck with Vim/Gvim which has an open-ended syntax
> highlighting scheme with almost 500 files named e.g., cobol.vim in the
> subdirectory syntax. It will do automatic sensing by suffix but you can
> manually select one too.  It even has one for Context.
>
> You can modify the syntax files if you like or create new ones but either
> task looks like an all-day project to me.

I would like to disagree here. I love vim, and use it for all my editing
tasks, but it is not easy to write a syntax file for vim. Simple syntax is
easy, but getting correct syntax highlighting for context is a hard thing.
I have been writing one syntax file for almost a year now, but it is not
perfect. The difficulty is doing context sensitive highlighting. For
example, for

\setupwhatver[key=value]

I want setupwhatever to be blue, and key=value to be red. Now sometimes,
value is be a series of context commands entered as key={value}. In that
case, I want everything in brackets to be hightlighted as the default
context hightlighting (rather than red), so that if I make a mistake in
the long statement, the syntax highlighting can help me. This is ok, but
things gets hard when you want to do

\setupwhatever[before={\setupsomething[key=value]}].

And now, the same problem for key=value setting in the nested setup
command.

There are other things which are difficult. \type is one command which I
can never get to work. It is easy to get things like \type|command| or
\type+command+ or \type{command} to give the correct highlighting, but
something like \type{\command{parameter}} is hard.

I could not find enough hooks in the vim syntax highlighting to get
everything that I want. I have not really looked at how configurable the
highlighting features of other languages are. But what I want to say here
is that writing syntax highlighting for context is hard. And it is
certainly not a one day project.

Aditya

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings
@ 2007-11-03 12:54     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-11-03 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday 03 November 2007 01:54:56 am Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Friday 02 November 2007 08:12:31 am richard.stephens@converteam.com
wrote:
> >> I have downloaded the latest Notepad++ and ConTeXt settings as suggested
> >> by Professor Hamid and I'm enjoying the experience of using them!
> >>
> >> However, I do not really like the colour scheme and tried to alter the
> >> background colours by editing "Application
> >> Data/Notepad++/UserDefineLang.xml", shutting down Notepad++ and starting
> >> up again (via Npp.bat), but no change.  I also tried editing the "tex"
> >> entry in "Application Data/Notepad++/stylers.xml", but no joy.
> >> I tried going to menu item Settings - Style Configurator, but Context
> >> isn't in the list of languages.
> >>
> >> How can I alter the default colour settings for ConTeXt, please?
> >>
> >> Richard Stephens
> >
> > You might have more luck with Vim/Gvim which has an open-ended syntax
> > highlighting scheme with almost 500 files named e.g., cobol.vim in the
> > subdirectory syntax. It will do automatic sensing by suffix but you can
> > manually select one too.  It even has one for Context.
> >
> > You can modify the syntax files if you like or create new ones but either
> > task looks like an all-day project to me.
>
> I would like to disagree here. I love vim, and use it for all my editing
> tasks, but it is not easy to write a syntax file for vim. Simple syntax is
> easy, but getting correct syntax highlighting for context is a hard thing.
> I have been writing one syntax file for almost a year now, but it is not
> perfect. The difficulty is doing context sensitive highlighting. For
> example, for
>
> \setupwhatver[key=value]
>
> I want setupwhatever to be blue, and key=value to be red. Now sometimes,
> value is be a series of context commands entered as key={value}. In that
> case, I want everything in brackets to be hightlighted as the default
> context hightlighting (rather than red), so that if I make a mistake in
> the long statement, the syntax highlighting can help me. This is ok, but
> things gets hard when you want to do
>
> \setupwhatever[before={\setupsomething[key=value]}].
>
> And now, the same problem for key=value setting in the nested setup
> command.
>
> There are other things which are difficult. \type is one command which I
> can never get to work. It is easy to get things like \type|command| or
> \type+command+ or \type{command} to give the correct highlighting, but
> something like \type{\command{parameter}} is hard.
>
> I could not find enough hooks in the vim syntax highlighting to get
> everything that I want. I have not really looked at how configurable the
> highlighting features of other languages are. But what I want to say here
> is that writing syntax highlighting for context is hard. And it is
> certainly not a one day project.
>
> Aditya

There is a file named context.vim in my 7.1 version of Gvim. I normally just
use the default tex.vim file. Nikolai Weibull now@bitwi.se wrote it. Don't
know if it meets all your desires however.

I meant to say that writing a syntax file is not a trivial task. I haven't
tired it yet.

--
John Culleton

* Re: Notepad++ colour settings