* Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-11-13  9:34 Andreas Hauser
From: Andreas Hauser @ 2007-11-13  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hoi,

how can I produce a ſ (long s) in ConTeXt?

Please CC me, as i'm not subscribed.
--
Andy

* Re: Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-11-14  9:56 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2007-11-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andy,

You can try following file:
----------
% engine=xetex
\font\myfont="Vollkorn" at 12pt\myfont
\starttext
\stoptext
----------

Every otf/ttf font containing a ſ will work.

Greetings Lutz

13 Nov 2007 10:34:31 +0100, Andreas Hauser <andy@splashground.de>:
> Hoi,
>
> how can I produce a ſ (long s) in ConTeXt?
>
> Please CC me, as i'm not subscribed.
> --
> Andy

* Re: Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-11-14 10:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-14 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Hauser wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> how can I produce a ſ (long s) in ConTeXt?

Do you have a font that has it (most fonts don't)?

> Please CC me, as i'm not subscribed.

I strongly suggest you do so. I normally delete all pending
messages, since > 99.9 %  of them is spam. You got lucky
this morning.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-11-15 10:35   ` Andreas Hauser
From: Andreas Hauser @ 2007-11-15 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

lutz.haseloff wrote @ Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:56:44 +0100:

> You can try following file:
> ----------
> % engine=xetex
> \font\myfont="Vollkorn" at 12pt\myfont
> \starttext
> \stoptext
> ----------
>
> Every otf/ttf font containing a ſ will work.

Live i get:
http://live.contextgarden.net/output.cgi?id=pOm785

and locally:

-------------------------------------8<-------------------------------------
kpathsea: Running mktexmf Vollkorn
! I can't find file `Vollkorn'.
------------------------------------->8-------------------------------------

So I guess, I don't have that font locally. Maybe there is a good standard
font with many special characters? It would be nice if other people could
also easily compile the tex source. Is it generally a superior font for
special characters?

How do I go about finding a font that contains all my special characters?

I have at least ſ (long s), aͤ (a^e SMALL e ABOVE), ʒ etc. Most are from a
historical context. And a lot of ligatures. As I understand Mac OS is able
to produce arbitrary ligatures. But will this work on a Linux too?

I followed Tacos advise and am subscribed now.

--
Thanks
Andy

* Re: encoding for gothic fonts (was: Long s in ConTeXt)
@ 2007-11-17 14:48     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-11-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-11-15 um 11:35 schrieb Andreas Hauser:
> How do I go about finding a font that contains all my special
> characters?
>
> I have at least ſ (long s), aͤ (a^e SMALL e ABOVE), ʒ etc. Most
> are from a
> historical context. And a lot of ligatures. As I understand Mac OS
> is able
> to produce arbitrary ligatures. But will this work on a Linux too?

That reminds me:
I was considering making font packs for some nice freeware gothic fonts.

I didn't check yet what characters are contained in which, but I
guess ConTeXt would need some logic to enable proper typesetting of
blackletter text, e.g. handling s and ſ. Have to look at Yannis'
efforts for LaTeX, too. And I guess I must recode these fonts to
follow Unicode standards (should be manageable with a fontforge script).

Any thoughts on that subject? Did someone already care for proper
gothic typesetting with ConTeXt?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-11-18  9:02     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-18  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Hauser wrote:
> How do I go about finding a font that contains all my special characters?

That's the problem, and it depends somewhat on what you are doing.

If your text will be historical, you will probably need lots of old
ligatures and abbreviation glyphs that may not be available in any
current font at all.

If you text is descriptive, perhaps you can get by using one of the SIL
fonts (or perhaps even something mundane like arial).

In both cases, it will be worth the effort to write/email to the editor
or publisher of a reference work in the field that _does_ use the
correct font, or failing that, to talk to a university that has a
large interest in the field you are after. Scholars are generally
willing to share such information.

Searching on the internet is a madmans' work. Almost all fonts online
(whether from big foundries or cheap/free amateur works) are intended
for typical uses (i.e. advertisments), so if they contain a long s at
all, it will definately not be used by default, and there will be almost
certainly no ligatures.

> I have at least ſ (long s), aͤ (a^e SMALL e ABOVE), ʒ etc. Most are from a
> historical context. And a lot of ligatures. As I understand Mac OS is able
> to produce arbitrary ligatures. But will this work on a Linux too?

It will only work if the ligutares glyphs are present in the font. This
is true on linux as well as on osx.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: encoding for gothic fonts
@ 2007-11-18  9:30       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-18  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> I didn't check yet what characters are contained in which, but I
> guess ConTeXt would need some logic to enable proper typesetting of
> blackletter text, e.g. handling s and ſ. Have to look at Yannis'
> efforts for LaTeX, too. And I guess I must recode these fonts to
> follow Unicode standards (should be manageable with a fontforge script).

Do you mean Yannis' yfrac etc.?  IIRC, that depends on his special
fonts. While browsing, I found this package:

   http://www.lg.fukuoka-u.ac.jp/~ynagata/khmpackage.html

Best wishes,
Taco

PS "gothic latex" is an interesting search term :-)

* Re: encoding for gothic fonts
@ 2007-11-18 17:09         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-11-18 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-11-18 um 10:30 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

>> I didn't check yet what characters are contained in which, but I
>> guess ConTeXt would need some logic to enable proper typesetting of
>> blackletter text, e.g. handling s and ſ. Have to look at Yannis'
>> efforts for LaTeX, too. And I guess I must recode these fonts to
>> follow Unicode standards (should be manageable with a fontforge
>> script).
> Do you mean Yannis' yfrac etc.?  IIRC, that depends on his special
> fonts. While browsing, I found this package:
>    http://www.lg.fukuoka-u.ac.jp/~ynagata/khmpackage.html

Thank you. I'm trying to follow the most modern approach: OpenType
features - if I manage to put the logic into the font, it's usable
also with InDesign. Even if I don't know if ConTeXt (i.e. XeTeX/
LuaTeX) will handle stuff like alternative characters well.
At the moment I'm struggling filling the GSUB tables with
FontForge... (it's easy *if* you know exactly what you do)

> PS "gothic latex" is an interesting search term :-)

I guess one will find more black than letters and more masked than
type faces. ;-)

@ 2007-11-18 17:36           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-18 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2007-11-18 um 10:30 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>
>>> I didn't check yet what characters are contained in which, but I
>>> guess ConTeXt would need some logic to enable proper typesetting of
>>> blackletter text, e.g. handling s and ſ. Have to look at Yannis'
>>> efforts for LaTeX, too. And I guess I must recode these fonts to
>>> follow Unicode standards (should be manageable with a fontforge
>>> script).
>> Do you mean Yannis' yfrac etc.?  IIRC, that depends on his special
>> fonts. While browsing, I found this package:
>>    http://www.lg.fukuoka-u.ac.jp/~ynagata/khmpackage.html
>
> Thank you. I'm trying to follow the most modern approach: OpenType
> features - if I manage to put the logic into the font, it's usable
> also with InDesign. Even if I don't know if ConTeXt (i.e. XeTeX/
> LuaTeX) will handle stuff like alternative characters well.
> At the moment I'm struggling filling the GSUB tables with
> FontForge... (it's easy *if* you know exactly what you do)
>
>> PS "gothic latex" is an interesting search term :-)
>
> I guess one will find more black than letters and more masked than
> type faces. ;-)

subs should work ok in luatex

you can also define your own (see fea files in distribution)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Long s in ConTeXt
@ 2007-12-04 19:37       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-12-04 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-11-18 um 10:02 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> Andreas Hauser wrote:
>> How do I go about finding a font that contains all my special
>> characters?
>
> That's the problem, and it depends somewhat on what you are doing.
>
> If your text will be historical, you will probably need lots of old
> ligatures and abbreviation glyphs that may not be available in any
> current font at all.

I just found the MUFI homepage (Mediaeval Unicode Font Initiative),
they seem to target mainly Old Norse:
http://www.mufi.info/
 From their specs I learned that the combining e and o "accents" are
already in the Unicode standard (0364).