* [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-07 16:07 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-07 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have just uploaded the archives for luatex 0.20.1. This
is a bugfix release for wednesday's beta, and it fixes
the following issues:

* texlua was broken on Solaris because the some C header
   files were loaded in the wrong order.
* os.tmpdir() now accepts an argument, making it easier
   to use. It now generates more unique filenames when
   it is called repeatedly in one run.
* The --luaconly commandline switch is now documented
   in the --help text.
* The new extended hyphenation exceptions were severely
   broken.
* \pdfprotrudechars could cause luatex to abort with an
   assertion failure.
* There was a bug in the  \span code that could cause endless
   loops.
* The simple forms of \leaders were messed up on windows
   because a variable was not properly initialized.
* Non-grouped \textdir commands created invalid output.
* e-TeX's pseudo files were not closed properly in ini mode.
* The luatex.web now weaves properly again.
* I made some small improvements to the manual.

I have uploaded source and linux/win32 binaries to

      http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/

Have fun,

Taco

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-07 16:29 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-07 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

on my system (Mac OS X 10.5.1, ppc), this snapshot doesn't compile; it
fails at this stage:

test -d luatexdir || mkdir luatexdir
sed s/TEX-OR-MF-OR-MP/luatex/ ../../../src/texk/web2c/lib/texmfmp.c
 >luatexextra.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I../../../src/texk/web2c -I.. -I../../../src/
texk/web2c/..  -I../../libs/obsdcompat -I../../libs/obsdcompat/.. -
I../../../src/texk/web2c/../../libs/obsdcompat -I../../../src/texk/
web2c/../../libs/obsdcompat/..  -Dextra_version_info=`date +-%Y%m%d%H`
-g -O2  -c luatexextra.c -o luatexextra.o
luatexextra.c: In function 'main':
luatexextra.c:408: error: storage size of 'sigstk' isn't known
make: *** [luatexextra.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

Thomas

@ 2007-12-07 21:22   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-07 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> on my system (Mac OS X 10.5.1, ppc), this snapshot doesn't compile; it
> fails at this stage:
>
> test -d luatexdir || mkdir luatexdir
> sed s/TEX-OR-MF-OR-MP/luatex/ ../../../src/texk/web2c/lib/texmfmp.c
>  >luatexextra.c
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I../../../src/texk/web2c -I.. -I../../../src/
> texk/web2c/..  -I../../libs/obsdcompat -I../../libs/obsdcompat/.. -
> I../../../src/texk/web2c/../../libs/obsdcompat -I../../../src/texk/
> web2c/../../libs/obsdcompat/..  -Dextra_version_info=`date +-%Y%m%d%H`
> -g -O2  -c luatexextra.c -o luatexextra.o
> luatexextra.c: In function 'main':
> luatexextra.c:408: error: storage size of 'sigstk' isn't known
> make: *** [luatexextra.o] Error 1
>
> Any ideas?

That's odd, I believe the 'sigaltstack' code came from Jonathan Kew,
who is definately on a Mac himself. What was the previous beta you
compiled yourself, do you remember? Otherwise, maybe Arthur knows.

(The "struct sigaltstack" is supposed to be defined in the <signal.h>
header.)

Best wishes,

@ 2007-12-07 21:32     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-12-07 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                                     What was the previous beta you
> compiled yourself, do you remember? Otherwise, maybe Arthur knows.

  I cross-compiled LuaTeX beta-0.20.0 for PPC Tiger yesterday (on my
Intel Mac Tiger).  No noticeable problems.  It's on the foundry.

> (The "struct sigaltstack" is supposed to be defined in the <signal.h>
> header.)

  That's weird, it's a function there.  But it has not caused any
problems until now!

	Arthur

* Re: [Dev-luatex]  beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-10 10:13 ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-12-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fr, 07 Dez 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> I have just uploaded the archives for luatex 0.20.1. This

Debian sid users will get 0.20.1 soon by normal update.
Debian etch users can add
	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/

This release of luatex for Debian ships an improved texdoc written in
texlua by Frank Küster. Please report any strange things to
	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org

Thanks Taco!

Best wishes

Norbert

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-10 16:19   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-12-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Fr, 07 Dez 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> I have just uploaded the archives for luatex 0.20.1. This
>
> Debian sid users will get 0.20.1 soon by normal update.
> Debian etch users can add
> 	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
> 	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
>
> This release of luatex for Debian ships an improved texdoc written in
> texlua by Frank Küster. Please report any strange things to
> 	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org

Excuse my ignorance, but is it safe to use these sources for ubuntu gusty
as well?

Aditya

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-10 21:53     ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-12-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mo, 10 Dez 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> >	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
> >	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
> >
> >This release of luatex for Debian ships an improved texdoc written in
> >texlua by Frank Küster. Please report any strange things to
> >	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but is it safe to use these sources for ubuntu gusty
> as well?

Safe for sure, but you have to check whether it compiles. It depends on
the version of libpoppler present in Ubuntu Gutsy.

For libpoppler 0.4.X (X <= 8) take the etch variant
For libpoppler 0.4.9 or 0.5.X you have to unpack the source package,
	change the debian/patches/series file to list the
	libpoppler-0.5 patch and comment the libpoppler-0.4 and -0.6
For libpoppler 0.6.X take the sid variant (available at the same
	location as the etch variant but with terminal
		luatex-sid
	instead of luatex)

Sorry for being of not so much help, but I don't have a gutsy around and
I never could find out which versions of Ubuntu ship which versions of
libraries.

Best wishes

Norbert

I'm going to have a look.'
He glanced round at the others.
`Is no one going to say, "No you can't possibly, let me go
instead"?'
They all shook their heads.
`Oh well.'
                 --- Ford attempting to be heroic whilst being seiged by
                 --- Shooty and Bangbang.

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-10 22:50       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-12-10 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 10 Dez 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> 	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
>>> 	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex/
>>>
>>> This release of luatex for Debian ships an improved texdoc written in
>>> texlua by Frank Küster. Please report any strange things to
>>> 	debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org
>>
>> Excuse my ignorance, but is it safe to use these sources for ubuntu gusty
>> as well?
>
> Safe for sure, but you have to check whether it compiles. It depends on
> the version of libpoppler present in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> For libpoppler 0.4.X (X <= 8) take the etch variant
> For libpoppler 0.4.9 or 0.5.X you have to unpack the source package,
> 	change the debian/patches/series file to list the
> 	libpoppler-0.5 patch and comment the libpoppler-0.4 and -0.6
> For libpoppler 0.6.X take the sid variant (available at the same
> 	location as the etch variant but with terminal
> 		luatex-sid
> 	instead of luatex)
>
> Sorry for being of not so much help, but I don't have a gutsy around and
> I never could find out which versions of Ubuntu ship which versions of
> libraries.

Ubuntu gusty ships with libpoppler 0.6.2.1. However, I do not get any
suggested updates because I am using amd64 architecture, and I see that
you do not have amd64 packages on your website. I will wait for the new
packages to trickle through to ubuntu repositories.

Aditya

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-11  8:42         ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-12-11  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

On Mo, 10 Dez 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Ubuntu gusty ships with libpoppler 0.6.2.1. However, I do not get any
> suggested updates because I am using amd64 architecture, and I see that

Ok, for you
	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex-sid/
	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex-sid/

I will upload amd64 as soon as I can build them. In the meantime you can
do:

- add the above to /etc/apt/sources
- aptitude update
- apt-get source luatex
- cd luatex-0.20.1
- dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -b
- cd ..
- dpkg -i luatex*.deb

Best wishes

Norbert

AINSWORTH (n.)
The length of time it takes to get served in a camera shop. Hence,
also, how long we will have to wait for the abolition of income tax or
the Second Coming.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-11 17:15           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-12-11 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> On Mo, 10 Dez 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Ubuntu gusty ships with libpoppler 0.6.2.1. However, I do not get any
>> suggested updates because I am using amd64 architecture, and I see that
>
> Ok, for you
> 	deb http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex-sid/
> 	deb-src http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/ luatex-sid/
>
> I will upload amd64 as soon as I can build them. In the meantime you can
> do:
>
> - add the above to /etc/apt/sources
> - aptitude update
> - apt-get source luatex
> - cd luatex-0.20.1
> - dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -b
> - cd ..
> - dpkg -i luatex*.deb

Thank you. I needed to install a few packages (libpoppler-dev, quilt,
fakeroot), and after that everything compiled correctly.

What is required for building a .deb file for amd64 for distribution. Can
the luatex_0.20.1-1_amd64.deb that I built by the above process be used on
other amd64 machines? If so, then maybe I can upload the file somewhere.

Aditya

* Re: [Dev-luatex] beta 0.20.1 released
@ 2007-12-12  6:18             ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-12-12  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Di, 11 Dez 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Thank you. I needed to install a few packages (libpoppler-dev, quilt,
> fakeroot), and after that everything compiled correctly.

Not surprising ;-)

> What is required for building a .deb file for amd64 for distribution. Can
> the luatex_0.20.1-1_amd64.deb that I built by the above process be used on

Yes. You can send it to other Hardy users, or put it up somewhere. I
will build an amd64 version for Debian/sid

Best wishes

Norbert

He stood up straight and looked the world squarely in the
fields and hills. To add weight to his words he stuck the
rabbit bone in his hair. He spread his arms out wide. `I
will go mad!' he announced.
                 --- Arthur discovering a way of coping with life on
                 --- Prehistoric Earth.